NHL'94 Forums

crowd level....player impact?

I'm kinda indifferent on this one. Sometimes it seems like it makes a difference and the players seem faster for a brief period of time. Other times it seems to not make a difference.

Do you guys ever notice a difference in game play during the game? does it occur when the crowd is going nuts?

*EDIT -This was meant to be a poll...but I made a mistake and the poll never got posted...feel free to weigh in anyways.

For me, when the crowd gets loud, I seem to play much better. I guess it just pumps me up so I score more goals and keep the crowd going with nice goals and big hits.

That is one of the few things I actually don't pay attention to. So I wouldn't know if my team is playing better or worse. But I do know it is cool to see a very high crowd meter at the end...especially the ones that are so high that if it actually happened you would bleed out of you ears and you head would probably explode. :(

• 4 years later...

On page 71 of Inside NHL'94 Official Guide (my official review coming soon), it says:

"If the current game is at a level that breaks the record for the arena, both teams speed up play by about 10 percent"

-- Corey Sandler, '94 guru

I have no idea if that is true, or what exactly "speed up play" means, but it does suggest that crowd meter will have an effect.

Also, this post from Clockwise shows that crowd level is mostly affected by goalie save attempts. He got to a decibel level of 259, which is incredible since the loudest sound possible is 194 db. :lol:

On page 71 of Inside NHL'94 Official Guide (my official review coming soon), it says:

"If the current game is at a level that breaks the record for the arena, both teams speed up play by about 10 percent"

-- Corey Sandler, '94 guru

I have no idea if that is true, or what exactly "speed up play" means, but it does suggest that crowd meter will have an effect.

Also, this post from Clockwise shows that crowd level is mostly affected by goalie save attempts. He got to a decibel level of 259, which is incredible since the loudest sound possible is 194 db. :lol:

Hm, so if you break the arena record, stuff speeds up 10% (i assume they skate faster, shoot faster..), then in online play, wouldn't that happen every game, due to there being no stored records?

Hm, so if you break the arena record, stuff speeds up 10% (i assume they skate faster, shoot faster..), then in online play, wouldn't that happen every game, due to there being no stored records?

I guess that would be true, lol. It'd make more sense if the boost happens when your break the record AND you are at the peak for the game.

It makes me think about the timeout effect. When things are spiraling out control, some people believe calling a timeout can change the flow of the game (me included). I believe the timeout knocks the crowd meter down, so maybe it does have an effect on gameplay?

These are the types of things I'd like to see covered in a strategy guide. ;)

On the idea of knocking down the crowd level, that's what bugs me about when people pause/unpause right after I score a goal. I earned those cheers and that jubilant faceoff organ ditty :P

people pause/unpause right after I score a goal.

GUILTY as charged. However, I do it as a bad habit when letting up a bad goal, rather than intentionally killing the crowd level.

I can't say the same thing about the pause/unpause on the 4th rendition of the Sabre Dance though. :P

having played in almost all of the highest crowd level games in Blitz (14 of the top 15), I can say with confidence that..

I have no idea biggrin.gif

but if I had to guess what the main factor was in driving up the number, I would guess late checks + goals.