NHL'94 Forums

Fall and Winter Classic - Discussion

metzgerism

We're winding down the Classic League's regular season here, and I wanted to thank all of you that really endeavored to play all the games that you could. Genesis A/B's regular season was certainly a success, and I commend all the players that committed to the league in that competition. I also wanted to apologize to everyone for not running Classic the way that we have seen it in the past - as many of you know I'm not one to use replacement players and uneven ROMs, so I feel like I was more of the babysitter for Classic this time around. I think we did well, considering the timeframe and my lax leadership, and the playoffs should be exciting (I would like to finish the championships before Winter holidays).

I also have opened this thread because we are coming into the playoff phase of GDL, Blitz, and Classic, and now would be as good a time as ever to start the regular seasons of new leagues. There are many ideas that I held off on for Fall Classic, and as far as I know we've never had a "Winter Classic League," so I'd like to use the following concepts in a Winter League:

1) Most importantly, Halifax wanted to see smaller leagues with more games per opponent, and I wanted to implement it (6-11 teams at 4 games per opponent. But many of you disagreed, so we didn't do it. If we have a winter league, I want to do this. It would make players a little more accountable, but most of all would make the league faster and potentially start playoffs quickly.

2) Weight bug fix. Since this would be the first winter classic league, I see no problem in fixing what the programmers originally screwed up. Furthermore, it makes the game far more balanced, making each individual game or series more unpredictable.

3) I could certainly use a couple of strong-arms to be the liaison for each league and ensure that things are running smoothly, as well as keep in contact with me regularly and constitute a decisions committee.

Discussion is open, but in terms of timeframe I would look to have registration for 10-14 days, then start the league.

Also, I would like to know if anyone is willing to take over Classic for the long-term. As I said, this isn't really the type of league I like to run, so I would like to set someone in place and get some assistants, and then take over as an advisor/assistant for whoever ends up running it - if anyone is particularly interested (hokkee, shaft...?)

Sebe, my idea would be to have a weight-fixed version of classic for Winter and Summer, and go back to Classic-Classic for the requisite Fall and Summer terms. However, if I remain in charge of Classic League, the smaller leagues will likely be implemented across-the-board...I don't have the necessary time and patience to run Classic the way that it has been in the past.

:huh: Alright then.

Would people be interested in a weight-bug fixed league between now and Spring Classic, with all of the guidelines I have outlined above?

Totally down for that. Be pretty cool tapping the benches for players hardly used.

Is there any way we can have a database with stats? Smo, any interest in using he blitz website model?

Totally down for that. Be pretty cool tapping the benches for players hardly used.

Is there any way we can have a database with stats? Smo, any interest in using he blitz website model?

It ends up consuming a lot of time, I found, with dyansty and fvhl, so i'd rather not, sorry.

I can give the code out, but other people have to do all the setup. including figuring out how to set it up, because often answering how to set something up takes more time than me setting it up myself.. and i don't want to set it up.

The system uses VBScript (in ASP files) and an MS Access database. If someone knows that stuff, I'll give them the code. Skill testing questions will be required, though :P