NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 02 - Playoffs

Playoffs are on!

In brief:

• Seeding is based on Pts%
  • jrodimus31 missed the playoffs due to DNP penalties.
  • smozoma replaces him (I was surprised :/)

ROM!

Blitz94_Season_02ab_PLAYOFFS.bin

Round 1 Matchups:

"A"

1. PHI (1) vs DAL (8) : snoboarder3211 vs smozoma
  2. WPG (2) vs DET (7) : Vocally Caged vs Flamingpavelbure
  3. T.B (3) vs MTL (6) : angryjay93 vs Freydey32
  4. FLA (4) vs EDM (5) : canadiensfan66 vs Icestorm NHL94

"B"

1. BOS (1) vs CGY (8) : sonoffett87 vs Rage93
  2. WSH (2) vs STL (7) : hokkeefan2 vs Iceguy94
  3. CHI (3) vs VAN (6) : Zalex1414 vs gihtarman
  4. L.A (4) vs BUF (5) : rynweinmeyer vs Houlanov

Deadline:

Not set in stone, but I would REALLY like it if we could keep the series in time with the real Stanley Cup playoffs. We have 3 rounds, and the NHL still has 3 rounds left. So we could have the Blitz and NHL Stanley Cup winners decided on the same night if all goes well :blink:

In detail:

I wasn't happy that a team with only 35 games played was on top in the "A" league, and was considering applying penalties for DNPs for playoff seedings. However, if I punish the 1st place team and make them 2nd, then I am punishing the 7th seed, giving them a harder matchup than the 8th-place team. So, I stuck with last season's format of using Pts% as the seeding criterion.

Punishment for not playing games is in 2 places: draft penalties and making-the-playoffs penalties.

I was surprised to find that jrodimus31 ended up missing the playoffs due to having 12 DNPs, which cost him -13.74 pts. EnsuingFracas was in 9th, but had 13 DNPs for -18.74 pts. This left the door open for... myself.

DNP penalties were calculated by splitting 2 pts between the two teams involved in a DNP in the ratio of their total DNPs. For example, in the DNPs between PIT and T.B, PIT had 12 total DNPs and T.B had 6, making the ratio 12:6 :: 1.33:0.67. So, for each DNP between PIT and T.B, PIT lost 1.33 pts and T.B lost 0.67 pts.

Here is the table of point tallies

post-253-1241331089_thumb.png

The column for Playoff Points is "PlyfPts" and is calculated as PTS-(Dft44). Dft44 is DNP points for the end of the regular season (Dft40 is DNPs for the 40-game deadline). It's confusing.

Anyway, you can see the seeds in that picture.

Edited by smozoma

I wasn't happy that a team with only 35 games played was on top in the "A" league, and was considering applying penalties for DNPs for playoff seedings. However, if I punish the 1st place team and make them 2nd, then I am punishing the 7th seed, giving them a harder matchup than the 8th-place team. So, I stuck with last season's format of using Pts% as the seeding criterion.

i can see it punishing the 7th seed a bit, but doesn't it punish the top seed as well as they theoretically get a tougher 1st rd matchup. i think that trumps the 7th seed getting screwed.

Why isn't carse the 7th seed again due to playoff pts = 39? i think positioning seeds should include dnp's. Dont think someone with 9dnps should have home ice throughout the playoffs. We should re-seed based on calc'ed playoff pts. Not a big deal if we dont but just my opinion.

Also given jrods pts %, i think he should be given a play-in opportunity against Smo. Maybe set deadline for Friday, if games cant get done, go with what we have. I've always hated people being booted from a playoff position for dnp's.

i can see it punishing the 7th seed a bit, but doesn't it punish the top seed as well as they theoretically get a tougher 1st rd matchup. i think that trumps the 7th seed getting screwed.

Not if you ask the 7th seed :blink:

Why isn't carse the 7th seed again due to playoff pts = 39? i think positioning seeds should include dnp's. Dont think someone with 9dnps should have home ice throughout the playoffs. We should re-seed based on calc'ed playoff pts. Not a big deal if we dont but just my opinion.

You need to think about both sides, though -- why should the resulting 2nd place player get screwed so much? He would have to play the top team/player in the league in the first round. I had two alternate systems devised: use just Pts, or calculate a points total as though DNPs were worth a small fraction of a point each to only subtly change things. In the end, my gut feeling was simply that Pts% was fair. Guys who had lots of DNPs still screwed themselves over in next season's draft (although in carse's case, since he was 1st, he's last no matter what...).

Also given jrods pts %, i think he should be given a play-in opportunity against Smo. Maybe set deadline for Friday, if games cant get done, go with what we have. I've always hated people being booted from a playoff position for dnp's.

I was ok with this idea until I realized it would delay the start of the other series a week due to seeding changing. jrod had a good season going, but didn't/couldn't play a game in the last 2 weeks. And if he makes it, what if his other series end up dragging on, etc...

What if we just say that whoever has more GP can decide if they want home or away advantage? (since guys like VC and myself seem to be way better on the road).

I had said repeatedly through the season that seeding would be Pts%-based, anyway. I think next season I'll go to just Pts, though, to really encourage people to play more.

Edited by smozoma

that's cool. Just some random thoughts on things. No right or wrong way to do things. They all have their own merits. Appreciate all the work and thought you put into things bro.

montreal vs tampa bay, last time that happened was in 2004, lightning in 4 :blink:

What about Wednesday night ??

Arrrgg...thats a really bad day actually! i have a b-b-q party thing to go to.

Maybe a little earlier in the day/evening wednesday, before im out of the house?