NHL'94 Forums

Player Ratings

Everyone is always talking about player ratings in terms of 3's and 4's and 5's and 6's.. but the ratings in the game are out of 100.

Now, I understand that the ratings out of 100 does not matter that much because a 60 rating for shot power for example could be the same as a 64 rating in terms of in-game performance, but how do people know what the rating is out of 5 or 6 or whatever it is? Is there a list of ratings somewhere?

I'm talking about SNES if that matters at all (but I think the SNES ratings should be the same as the weight bug fix GENS?).

If you browse through the gens editing forums...there's lots of info on player ratings. Wboy, Smozoma and Clockwise helped write the book on it. I'm sure you'll find the information you need and then some.

This is for GENS, but I assume the same applies to SNES.

People talk about ratings being 0-6 because that's how the game handles them, not 0-100.

Here's how it breaks down:

0 - 25-29

1 - 29-38

2- 38-47

3- 47-62

4 - 63-80

5- 81-98

6 - 99

Not sure how hot/cold streaks affect this.

This is for GENS, but I assume the same applies to SNES.

People talk about ratings being 0-6 because that's how the game handles them, not 0-100.

Here's how it breaks down:

0 - 25-29

1 - 29-38

2- 38-47

3- 47-62

4 - 63-80

5- 81-98

6 - 99

Not sure how hot/cold streaks affect this.

it doesnt... infact a guy thats cold could be hot lol

this is explained in more detail in another thread i just cant find it

As far as this goes, Its the same for gens and snes. (except in gens max is 99...snes is 100)

0-6 is just how its programmed.

If you look at a juiced league rom, its 6's down the board. And in game everyones 100.

Its just easier and more accurate to refer to 0-6 because like you said, whats in the game is never the same and doesnt matter.

I do have a theory that the numbers you see in game change depending on the hot and cold streaks ron barr talks about in pre game, but i havnt tested yet.

I've seen both Ray Bourque and Mario Lemeiux get the friendly bump for 100 overall at times and both may not need the hot/cold rating. As it is, they're the only guys with the 99 rating.

I do have a theory that the numbers you see in game change depending on the hot and cold streaks ron barr talks about in pre game, but i havnt tested yet.

Sort of. As i've said elsewhere, when I was fixing the weight bug, I discovered that, yes, indeed, the game does change some of the stats of a player subtly each game. for example, with say speed, teh game will take the 0-6 value, multiply it by 5 so it's 0/5/10/.../25/30, and then it'll add or subtract up to 3. so a guy who is a '4' in skating might actulaly be a 4.5 that game (although i'm not sure if speed is affected.. i know checking is).

now, when it comes to the hot/cold and the ratings you see in the Edit Lines screen, they have NOTHING to do with the actual bonus/subtraction the game has done 'under the hood'. the game might say a guy who is a '5' is 98 that game, so you'd think he'd be faster than normal, but he may actually be a 4.7 under the hood and be slow that game. don't know why they did it that way, but that's how it is.

Sort of. As i've said elsewhere, when I was fixing the weight bug, I discovered that, yes, indeed, the game does change some of the stats of a player subtly each game. for example, with say speed, teh game will take the 0-6 value, multiply it by 5 so it's 0/5/10/.../25/30, and then it'll add or subtract up to 3. so a guy who is a '4' in skating might actulaly be a 4.5 that game (although i'm not sure if speed is affected.. i know checking is).

now, when it comes to the hot/cold and the ratings you see in the Edit Lines screen, they have NOTHING to do with the actual bonus/subtraction the game has done 'under the hood'. the game might say a guy who is a '5' is 98 that game, so you'd think he'd be faster than normal, but he may actually be a 4.7 under the hood and be slow that game. don't know why they did it that way, but that's how it is.

And its proven that what done 'under the hood' does not reflect what Ron says?