NHL'94 Forums

Discussion - Season 5 draft

smozoma

Looking for some input on the next draft.

Things I won't consider:

- like season 1 again (if you have DET, you get Yzerman, etc)

- full draft, no protection rounds

- one big league

Idea #1:

One thing that bothers me about the draft is that the good coaches always pick last, so never get the fun of having a super-star unless they trade for them. Some guys end up having the same player over and over just because it's convenient to keep them. An idea that I've been thinking of for a while is to actually have the top coaches pick first this draft. After that, they would pick last in all subsequent rounds, so though they have a star player, they won't have good depth. This would only happen once every 4-5 seasons, though.

I think this could work well in GDL once in a while, too (especially because there are no protection rounds so it's easier to build depth)

Potential problems: If you're not doing well, you don't even have the hope of getting a fun superstar player next season. The top coaches may slaughter everyone with their superstar, despite having no depth.

Idea #2:

Similar to idea #1, but I would interleave the top and bottom players, so the draft would go like this: 1, 24, 2, 23, 3, 22, .. 12, 13. If you were at the top of the standings, you get a top pick, and if you were at the bottom of the standings, you also get a top pick. The middle people get last pick in the first round. Later rounds would all go from bottom-to-top to build depth for the weaker coaches.

Potential Problems: the best coaches get superstars and kill the average coaches, while the weaker coaches compete with the average coaches, so we have a couple guys up at .800 winning% and everyone else around .400.

Idea #3:

My original idea for Blitz was that you would know before the draft started which players you got to protect, so you could draft a team to fit the guys you got to keep. The problem I had with this idea was that everyone would try to exploit the system so they could keep their best players, though the intention is for them to keep a somewhat random set of players. I don't want to make it totally random for each team, though, because then some teams would keep lots of good guys and others would get screwed over.

I think I have a solution for this, now. Using previous draft orders, I can objectively say which players are better (or at least more desirable) than others, so I can rank a team's players based on historical draft order, and then essentially flip a coin for each ranking to decide if everyone keeps or loses their most desirable player, 2nd most, etc.

Potential Problems: hmm.. seems good?

Idea #4:

Do something like a draft lottery for all the picks, where better coaches have a lower chance of getting an early pick, but still a chance. Arrange later rounds to balance out the teams.

Downside: a lot of the early rounds have completely different orders

Any other ideas for the draft? Things that have bugged you in the past?

Edited by smozoma

Some can call me a conformist, but as I have seen these last 3 drafts, coaches have managed to have good showings when they manage to get some balance by keeping 1 or 2 starts on their team via either protection rounds or trading and there's no telling which player can be a hidden gem that performs beyond expectations where a few coaches were blind when taken in the later rounds.

Of course, if you wish to make a change, I would say that Idea #3 presents the least amount of problems and I believe you could try a mock draft to see if it works out well.

What about:

Start giving out the picks to average guys, then go up and down up and down from there.

The average guys NEVER get anything.

+ It's not like they suck enough to turn those high picks into shiny useless tokens, and won't kill anyone with it either.

Option 3 sounds the best to me. Personally I dont think there's as much of a descrepancy of talent in the fixed rom as there is in the classic rom. I think more players are useful in the fixed rom then classic.

If you really want to balance things out, another suggestion might be to give the lower ranked teams the best goalies in round 1 ( the whole 1st round is goalie asignment with best teams getting worst goalies). then once that's done start the draft in rd 2 with the normal flow (2 keeper, 3 open etc. or whatever yearsd turn it is). Studs help lower teams, but top ranked goalies imo help them more.

And the challenge of low-level coaches is knowing how to handle the great goalies since they're miles above the others.

Reminds me of my first season when I had Fuhr. :(

Idea 3 sounds good to me.

Just for the hell of it, why not make the beginning of the first round open selection and the end of the first round protection? The mid-level and lower level players can pick any player in the first half of the round, and the better teams (like the ones that are the top 4 or 5 playoff seeds in both leagues) would choose a protection pick in the second half of the first round. This way the lower level coaches have a pick at the best guys and the higher level coaches can still protect a player. Then maybe flip-flop the second round where the lower level coaches pick protection in the beginning and the higher level coaches have an open pick at the end.

Make any sense? Probably not.

Idea 3 sounds good to me.

Just for the hell of it, why not make the beginning of the first round open selection and the end of the first round protection? The mid-level and lower level players can pick any player in the first half of the round, and the better teams (like the ones that are the top 4 or 5 playoff seeds in both leagues) would choose a protection pick in the second half of the first round. This way the lower level coaches have a pick at the best guys and the higher level coaches can still protect a player. Then maybe flip-flop the second round where the lower level coaches pick protection in the beginning and the higher level coaches have an open pick at the end.

Make any sense? Probably not.

It does make enough sense for me. I wonder if the others see it that way.

What about:

Start giving out the picks to average guys, then go up and down up and down from there.

The average guys NEVER get anything.

+ It's not like they suck enough to turn those high picks into shiny useless tokens, and won't kill anyone with it either.

this gives me...

Idea #4:

Do something like a draft lottery for all the picks. Arrange later rounds to balance things out.

Downside: a lot of the early rounds have completely different orders

idea 2. this prevents people from slacking in reg season to sneak in playoffs so they have a chance at winning it all while trying to get a good draft pick.. it rewards people who do well and people who just flat out aren't as good

idea 2. this prevents people from slacking in reg season to sneak in playoffs so they have a chance at winning it all while trying to get a good draft pick.. it rewards people who do well and people who just flat out aren't as good

Although, if you know you're going to be middle of the pack at best, it's incentive to slack off and finish lower...

wtga idea 2 is retarded

Why don't you you just use Season 3 system?

Edited by Freydey

wtga idea 2 is retarded

Why don't you you just use Season 3 system?

because guys like snoboarder always have last picks, so i'm trying to think of ways to let them have early picks for once

Edited by smozoma

because guys like snoboarder always have last picks, so i'm trying to think of ways to let them have early picks for once

and SOH is last for the first time ever and he wont get the chance to have a top pick

that doesent make sense

and SOH is last for the first time ever and he wont get the chance to have a top pick

that doesent make sense

that's why option 2 would give him a top pick still..

that's why option 2 would give him a top pick still..

I still think giving middle of the pack goodies is fun.

Incentive for bottom players to play theyr damn games, and it's odd a top player will intentionally loose (Like some douchebags do)

Should we put this on a vote? Maybe the options should be discussed further and then we vote which option should we go for in the next draft.

Although, if you know you're going to be middle of the pack at best, it's incentive to slack off and finish lower...

ya but in blitz mid of pack still makes playoffs so if you slack off to miss playoffs that kind of defeats the purpose of being in the league

ya but in blitz mid of pack still makes playoffs so if you slack off to miss playoffs that kind of defeats the purpose of being in the league

If slacking to miss the playoffs means getting yzerman or lemieux next season, I bet some people would do that.

If slacking to miss the playoffs means getting yzerman or lemieux next season, I bet some people would do that.

that's pretty lame if someone does that. Kills the whole integrity of the league. Lower ranked teams tanking games impacts seedings on the upper ranked teams.

Anyone can beat anyone on any given day as long as people try. The minute they start tanking things for a better pick next season is when they should get booted. I mean it's tough to prove but if it's obvious then they should be booted imo.

that's pretty lame if someone does that. Kills the whole integrity of the league. Lower ranked teams tanking games impacts seedings on the upper ranked teams.

Anyone can beat anyone on any given day as long as people try. The minute they start tanking things for a better pick next season is when they should get booted. I mean it's tough to prove but if it's obvious then they should be booted imo.

If videos can be used as evidence, we can see who's doing their best effort and who's tanking on purpose. Although this isn't just an issue here, it's common in sports on some cases. =/