NHL'94 Forums

Boycott on Fenty

RedWingDevil

With the risk of being called a total lout and any negative whatnot, I'm going to boycott my games with Fenty. The games he hosts are very choppy, frames are skipped for 2-3 seconds and faceoffs on the opponent's zone are negated once the goalie gets past the safety zone. You'll notice when the whistle blows but the action is still happening.

Now then, I've been in a few situations of lags in the past myself, but unlike other people around I have the civility to ask my opponent if he can go on or if he needs to go to another server. If nothing works we can settle on Hamachi and if that doesn't work we can settle for doing things in another day. This is a reason why there's a pause button.

I played my games with XToxic and they ran fine. With Fenty, the frame rate and choppiness are horrible. Anyone cool with that when you play?

p2p > server

(hamachi apparently being synonymous with p2p)

We all use Hamachi for SNES games, smoz. Though at times it's not perfect.

I just don't like to be troubled too much with the choppiness of the games and if I try to take advantage of that people will think I'm a dirty bastard; that's a message I don't want to show.

I guess I kinda undestand how Wags feels at times when he plays against me.

I never put in any rules in regards to lag. I guess I just assumed guys would follow the classic rules...so my apologies for that.

Lag is usually evident within the first couple minutes of a game.

If determined that lag is a factor when the first goal is scored...the game can be stopped and replayed in full at a later time. If two goals were scored in the game...then the game can still be stopped but it is then officially counted as a 'started game'. Coaches should record the time left in the game and replay that time at a later date. Before the replayed game takes place...coaches should confirm the time left in the game that a goal cannot be scored on or after.

I never put in any rules in regards to lag. I guess I just assumed guys would follow the classic rules...so my apologies for that.

Lag is usually evident within the first couple minutes of a game.

If determined that lag is a factor when the first goal is scored...the game can be stopped and replayed in full at a later time. If two goals were scored in the game...then the game can still be stopped but it is then officially counted as a 'started game'. Coaches should record the time left in the game and replay that time at a later date. Before the replayed game takes place...coaches should confirm the time left in the game that a goal cannot be scored on or after.

I played 3 games against fenty earlier without any problems. Sweden is a bit closer to Ireland though.

I've experienced lag against fenty in exhibition games before. But I don't think it's his connection that causes it. It's probably something with his computer. Spyware or whatever.

I was happy to resume or play another time. You even saved the state the first game at second period to do so but you played on. If you had of said play another time then that would of been fine. The lag wasnt that bad, latency 1 and hamachi combined sometimes causes things to happen like injurys then.. it hasnt happened, thats a little different to lag which there wasnt hardly any. when I explained this you aggreed then we joined hamachi again and played the other 2 games, you should of said during the games and we could of arranged something. Ive never had problems with lag before where I had to quit the game.

i play fenty fairly often - always in hamachi. we don't usually have a problem occasionally i notice that his green dot in hamachi is blue and not green and when that happens it can be laggy, nothing a hamachi restart doesn't solve. but other than that always good times (except when i'm losing)

Well.. I just played Pondhockey and wasnt one bit of lag, & someone whos from that part of the world told me erlier tonight that they played with redwingdevil and the framerate was skipping like crazy.. & Its funny how you can remember how our connection is because you only played me 2 or 3 games months ago if even..

Well, I may exagerate a bit at times, but somehow I feel like the connection between players has been a bit on the frizz. Rage and I tried our series, but the slowdown dragged the game's momentium down, so it does get uncomfortable.

One day it's good and fine, the other it goes down to pot. I should probably apologize if I did cause some awkwardness and trouble with this.

Well, I may exagerate a bit at times, but somehow I feel like the connection between players has been a bit on the frizz. Rage and I tried our series, but the slowdown dragged the game's momentium down, so it does get uncomfortable.

One day it's good and fine, the other it goes down to pot. I should probably apologize if I did cause some awkwardness and trouble with this.

I found out slowdown was not due to the network connection, buy my laptop's CPU speed control. It was set to adjust the CPU speed for demand. I read on the ZSNES forums that this causes problems with the timing in the program. All other emulators ran fine (including Snes9x). Set the CPU speed to constant and that fixed the problem.

RedWing and I played a game with the slowdown and it felt like it took an hour.

I found out slowdown was not due to the network connection, buy my laptop's CPU speed control. It was set to adjust the CPU speed for demand. I read on the ZSNES forums that this causes problems with the timing in the program. All other emulators ran fine (including Snes9x). Set the CPU speed to constant and that fixed the problem.

RedWing and I played a game with the slowdown and it felt like it took an hour.

How do I check the CPU's speed? Can it be adjusted?

How do you adjust CPU speed?

The CPU speed on my laptop can be controlled to improve battery life, performance, and on-demand load. This is done through software that came installed (its an Asus EEE Pc with an Intel Atom CPU). Most CPUs have a fixed clock speed, but some can be controlled via software and changed on the fly.

Apparently, ZSNES does not like this. So I set the condition to max performance (max CPU clock speed).

Sounds good, but what about those that got say, a HP laptop? How can I get to adjusting the CPU's speed?

Never heard of the CPU being a problem before, not even on the zbattle forums, I looked on the ZSNES website and pasted in some helpful information below. An easy way to tell if its the CPU is messing with things is to test it without netplay!! I bet it runs fine.. Also a UDP connection is much better than hamachi, I think hamachi makes it like or makes it TCP which isnt good. Or you could lower the video settings in zsnes. Another way of testing the CPU would be to alt control delete to get the task manager window up and have zsnes running half screen and check both windows at the same time monitor CPU usage. Are you running XP?

-:source/s www.nerologic.com/zsnesfaq/

For smooth netplay, it is required that both sides have fast computers (look below for requirements). If one side has a slow computer (eg. 200mhz) while the other has a fast one (eg. 800mhz), the slow computer's low framerate will bog down the fast computer, causing poor frame rates on the fast computer. It is also strongly recommended that you keep latency at 3 (or reduce it to 2 for fast paced platform games), allow UDP connections, and keep back buffer enabled.

..You can also try changing your resolution to different video modes and find the video mode that provides the optimal performance if the current performance isn't satisfactory

Q: Why is ZSNES slow?

A: For the Windows version, you might want to change your video mode to different settings until you find the mode that's optimal in performance.

Emulating a SNES is slow because it is a complex system. Also, ZSNES by default uses a tile/line engine which is newly completed in v1.0. This engine is faster than the old, so if the speed isn't up to par you may try a solution below. Or your computer just may be too slow.

Vsync, by nature of syncing to the monitor, is also slower. So if speed is paramount to you, Vsync should be disabled. You should also use auto frame rate and frame skip.

Q: Why does the game slow down even though I'm using auto frame rate and the FPS is pretty high?

A: A game slows down like that when it executes its code beyond the speed of CPU emulation that ZSNES currently handles. To reduce slowdowns, increase the percentage of execution by editing zsnesw.cfg.