NHL'94 Forums

Quebec City building an NHL-calibre arena

smozoma

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-quebec-arena

QUEBEC (AP)—Quebec City says it will begin construction on a new NHL-style arena in September.

Mayor Regis Labeaume says the $400 million arena will hold about 18,000 people, saying it would be comparable to the Pittsburgh Penguins’ new building.

“Today, the dream becomes a reality,” he said at a news conference Sunday.

The arena is expected to be completed by September 2015.

The Quebecor media group has the naming rights for the future arena and was granted exclusive rights to manage the facility.

If the city gets an NHL team, Quebecor would pay $63.5 million for naming rights, plus $5 million in annual rent. Without one, the company would pay $33 million for the rights and an average of $3.15 million annually for rent.

“There are no more obstacles … no more uncertainty about the construction of the amphitheater,” Quebecor CEO Pierre Karl Peladeau said at the news conference.

Labeaume says the city can proceed with the project after finalizing an agreement with Quebecor before a March 31 deadline.

The province and Quebec City have pledged millions in taxpayer money for the project.

Quebec lost the Nordiques in 1995, when they left to become the Colorado Avalanche.

So, will Quebecor let CBC in the building for Hockey Night in Canada? :P

it'd be great if they got their team "back," too. too bad there's almost no chance of the Whalers returning.

nhl.com posted that quebec was building an nhl ready arena.

You know the nhl bud...they never like to say anything about anyone possibly getting a team.

here was the link that was since removed.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=624024

I'm a conspiracy theorist. I think it's already a done deal and they're just waiting for phoenix to be done their season to make the announcement

Boom!

Vive le Quebec and all its awesomeness.

these places you've mentioned... are they in Canadia?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/globe-on-hockey/quebec-city-all-a-lather-as-nhl-rumours-fly/article2382863/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Globe%20on%20Hockey&utm_content=2382863

Former coach and current radio analyst Dany Dubé, a wise and plugged-in hockey man, mentioned on Radio-Canada on Monday that a Phoenix Coyotes player of his acquaintance had been advised to "go and learn French" by someone in the organization.

The arena will be finished in I think 2015, though...

There,s a 16000 or so capacity arena already there. It would be temporary and would have renovations i presume for the time being.

ah, good point, i didn't think of that

I think the Civic Centre in Ottawa, that the Sens used the first season or two, has a capacity of around 10000. One side of the rink is just ~30 seats deep.

weird!

5533563502_b0b85a970e.jpg

looks an awful lot like the '94 overhead, though, especially with those beams...

Edited by trudatman

for those who don't know, the Civic Centre is a combined building with a football stadium. Those beams are under the football stadium seats. (formerly called, I think, Landsdowne Park, not Frank Claire Stadium?)

The NY Islanders will be moving to Quebec at this time. Their arena lease expires in 2015.

I would be pretty pumped if Quebec City gets a team. It's one of the nicest cities you could ever visit IMO, and only a 4 hour drive for me. I will be sure to visit for a game during their inaugural season.

The Colisee is going to be renovated from what I hear, so it could be the temporary home of the team, similar to the Civic Center in Ottawa...

About the Civic Center - I have some great memories there.. been to lots of 67's games and lots of Sens games there back in the day. I distinctly remember witnessing firsthand a Steve Larmer hat trick against my lowly Sens on Dec. 23, 1992 when I was 12 years old. Good times :D