NHL'94 Forums

Not sure who's noticed this as well but on the NHL94.com homepage but the site features "Genesis, Sega CD & SNES". However, I searched the forums and there are no threads about the Sega CD version of 94! I don't want to start anything but it's funny how Sega CD is listed before SNES. Just sayin' ;-)

So this is going to be the thread to discuss all things Sega CD (which considering the popularity of this system will most likely be the shortest discussion this site has seen)

About a month ago, I purchased a Sega CD recently and then bought a couple copies of '94. I fired it up on Sunday and here are my initial reactions.

1. It's like the Gens & SNES had a little b@stard child.

2. It looks and feels more like the Gens version but the goalies play more like the SNES version. (take that with a grain of salt since I haven't played the SNES too much)

3. Goals you would think are gimmes... forget it.

4. The game sound fx are so much worse than Gens

5. Loading times are annoying.

6. No Hot/Cold lists

7. Big PRO -- Ron Barr speaks during the team roster comparison where the hot/cold lists should be

8. Biggest PRO -- the organ music never sounded so good!

Not sure how many others out there have played but would enjoy to hear your feedback.

A while back, I had tried to get some help with hacking the Sega CD 94 version, with the intention of putting in custom music, since

no one has figured out how to do that yet with the Gen Rom version. It fell on deaf ears, so I never persued it further.

I dig it. it'd definitely better than the regular Genesis version and is comparable with the PC game. I haven't played in a while, so the minuses escape my mind right now, but there surely are some. I hope to see a lot more in this thread over time.

I dig it. it'd definitely better than the regular Genesis version and is comparable with the PC game. I haven't played in a while, so the minuses escape my mind right now, but there surely are some. I hope to see a lot more in this thread over time.

I didn't even know there was a PC version until I looked it up based on your post. It's interesting it was just called NHL Hockey. Just ordered a copy of it off ebay.... not sure how i'll run it though since I'll need some Windows '95 action. haha

it's fun. if your system will run it -- and you can get through all of the complex setup stuff -- it's a fun game. it is less complex than even the Genesis version, but it has the sweet flow of '92 and plenty of focus on the intricacies of positioning and possession and gameplanning. it's great. I like every version more than Genesis and I'm not typing that to troll the "cool" kids. I wish this site wasn't so Genesis-based. there's so much more.

Edited by tru

I like every version more than Genesis and I'm not typing that to troll the "cool" kids. I wish this site wasn't so Genesis-based. there's so much more.

Move on dude.

There are no "cool" kids playing 20 year old video games.

Do you have a Wu-Tang Sweatshirt?

the "in crowd," then. the popular majority. the less disparaged. the overdogs. you know what I mean. do you have a grudge against truths?

so, this is bothersome. I get called a troll for expressing my opinion. I am adding to the conversation. you are derailing the thread. just so we're clear.

move on to what? move away from talking about the decades old game? you, too, then. let's shut the site down because you can't handle a differing opinion, even when presented calmly without antagonizing intent. take your ball (puck) and go home. what line did I cross? can we still discuss the topic at hand, or did my comparison of the versions of the game break your feelings to the point where we have to focus on me instead of the topic? how about y'all move on? accept that not everybody fits the mold you wish for them and focus on the actual topic instead of getting derailed by aspects of an opinion you don't share. have you played the PC/CD versions? do you have anything to contribute in relation to them? are you just here to pile on for no reason? y'all can't wonder why newcomers often apologize for posting.

Edited by tru

move on to what? move away from talking about the decades old game? you, too, then. let's shut the site down because you can't handle a differing opinion, even when presented calmly without antagonizing intent. take your ball (puck) and go home. what line did I cross? can we still discuss the topic at hand, or did my comparison of the versions of the game break your feelings to the point where we have to focus on me instead of the topic? how about y'all move on? accept that not everybody fits the mold you wish for them and focus on the actual topic instead of getting derailed by aspects of an opinion you don't share. have you played the PC/CD versions? do you have anything to contribute in relation to them? are you just here to pile on for no reason? y'all can't wonder why newcomers often apologize for posting.

I understood what you were implying when you put "cool" in quotes, there was nothing offensive about it at all. But Coach tossed a troll line out into the water and you bit. I met Coach at Ko94 and he's a top notch guy so I'm sure he's just playing.

Tru, I do appreciate what you've added on this thread b/c I think you're one of the few guys who have actually played most of the versions.

I also purchased a complete Japanese Super Famicom version of 94 recently but obviously don't have anything to play it on unfortunately! I may have to start a thread for that as well.

Move on as in, give it a rest, with the sniping at the genesis players. "I'm not typing that to troll the "cool" kids." I guess I'm misreading you, but that in itself sounds like trolling. "the "in crowd," then. the popular majority. the less disparaged. the overdogs." Pretty sure I'm not misreading it...

It's not about having a different opinion, it's about being obnoxious and condescending about it. "do you have a grudge against truths? " Wait, I thought these were opinions?

I used to bash the SNES version, but I stopped, because you like it and I realized I was being rude and negative.

"I wish this site wasn't so Genesis-based. there's so much more."

How about, "I wish the other versions got more action on this site." Pump the others up, not wish one of the versions were cut down and imply the players are close-minded or something.

And how many genesis topics did you insert yourself into with a "weight fail" this or "genesissies" that, and then here you act as though getting some pushback in a Sega CD topic is some big crime?

Amen Smoz.

And Tru I don't think you've been real nice to Royameadow (who may be the smartest guy around these parts).

And Tru I offered to pay your entry fee and drive you to Toronto.

Here is the thing, we all met in person.

It was awesome. I don't know if you could tell who was SNES or Gens and no one really cared.

Halifax (SNES) worked his a-- off to help Mikey (GENS) who worked his a-- off and they made the tourney awesome for everyone SNES and GENS.

Smoz didn't just do brackets for GENS he did it for both.

We all worked together and then ya we smashed each others systems and laughed about who was better, but really nobody cared.

High School is over (well not for me since I go teach it everyday) so move on most of the cool kids work for nerds now and the cheerleaders have all gotten fat.

I even got a kick out of SNES hype man that I was a-- bumpin with thru the whole Finals series.

I wasn't trolling you.

I just wish you would give it a rest.

Its all 94, Its all 20 year old video games, Its all good.

Yes give it a rest the SNES and Gens thing we know how you feel.

wow, guys. it's amazing that this gets you so riled up. I don't use the belittling term anymore because it wasn't being received as playful trashtalking. y'all routinely get bent out of shape when I try to explain that there are four (main) great versions of the game while just one in particular seems to be the main focus of this place. I try to shift that balance but I get resistance at each effort. it's not me. maybe it was, long ago, when I assumed everybody liked the rivalry, the silliness, the bravado, the trashtalking that has ALWAYS been a part of this game. I put that persona in a state of suspension and I have brought a fairly dry seriousness to these topics since. find the last time it was me typing out that disparaging term for Genesis players. and "weight fail" bothers you?! how? it IS a failure, as they FAILED to calculate correctly and it ruined the intent of an entire aspect of the game to the point where you had to fix it. so, is that my fault? I can't mention it? my opinions are truths in that they truly are my opinions. just state yours in response, unless it hurts so bad to have to admit to yourself that other versions of your favorite game are at least as valid. if it hurts that much to address it without stressing it, maybe you should take a break. I have apologized to Roya for any insults, but I still struggle to understand pretty much every decision he makes in relation to the game and about half of the sentences he puts up. I can't post about that? nobody else seems to be willing to engage with him, but because I do it in a way that y'all don't choose, I'm somehow bad? fine. you need a villain. it can be me because I can actually take this crap without taking my puck and going home. Roya seems to be able to, as well. because I didn't feel the need to go to Canadia to hang out wiith y'all I'm not worthy to contribute here? that's just rude. the entry fee? how about the time off and time away from my family and the paperwork and regulations for crossing an international border? how about the distance? if I really cared to be "the best" -- as y'all seem to think I do, even though I have not once made that claim on the boards -- I'd play onlag with you. it doesn't hold my interest enough to put the serious effort in just to be frustrated by the way y'all do it and the problems inherent in the setup. I am allowed to post here. I'm allowed to discuss the CD/PC/SNES versions AND EVEN COMPARE THEM TO THE GENESIS VERSION. yep. it's okay to do that. I invite you guys to block me. seriously. do it. it's better than having to field this ridiculousness every time I engage with other members. must you control their experiences here? are they not allowed to make up their own minds about any value to be found in what I contribute? bullies you are. everybody else should be glad I'm here to absorb that. it's not like you are engaging playfully with teasing and taunting that sporting groups naturally seems to cultivate; you are dryly telling me to stop mentioning your precious. I've toned the playful dissing way down. I'm here for fun and to discuss a great game and to hack the game and to share the love and to improve the game. (oh, no! that implies it's not already perfect; how dare I?) remove the squarish black cartridge from your holes and fucking ban me. I have never deserved it, but it won't be the first time.

Edited by tru

Tru, I do appreciate what you've added on this thread b/c I think you're one of the few guys who have actually played most of the versions.

I also purchased a complete Japanese Super Famicom version of 94 recently but obviously don't have anything to play it on unfortunately! I may have to start a thread for that as well.

that's a weird one for me, only because of the language barrier. I think the game is exactly the same, otherwise. anybody know if it has any other differences? I played it several times and decided it was the same, just in a different language. if anybody can read that language or knows more about the particular version, I'd love to see further discussion of it.

I didn't even know there was a PC version until I looked it up based on your post. It's interesting it was just called NHL Hockey. Just ordered a copy of it off ebay.... not sure how i'll run it though since I'll need some Windows '95 action. haha

NHL Hockey is not a good game imo. NHL Hockey 95 is. They are different.

Here's the pack of preinstalled NHL Hockey 95 in DOSBox for playing it on modern systems, just unpack it and enjoy: http://www.oldgames.sk/download.php?filedownload=8637(STIAHNUŤ=DOWLOAD).

Move on as in, give it a rest, with the sniping at the genesis players. "I'm not typing that to troll the "cool" kids." I guess I'm misreading you, but that in itself sounds like trolling. "the "in crowd," then. the popular majority. the less disparaged. the overdogs." Pretty sure I'm not misreading it...

It's not about having a different opinion, it's about being obnoxious and condescending about it. "do you have a grudge against truths? " Wait, I thought these were opinions?

I used to bash the SNES version, but I stopped, because you like it and I realized I was being rude and negative.

"I wish this site wasn't so Genesis-based. there's so much more."

How about, "I wish the other versions got more action on this site." Pump the others up, not wish one of the versions were cut down and imply the players are close-minded or something.

And how many genesis topics did you insert yourself into with a "weight fail" this or "genesissies" that, and then here you act as though getting some pushback in a Sega CD topic is some big crime?

Well put. I mean it has literally been years and not much has changed with Tru.

Why not pump up SNES rather than the constant condescending comments about GENS. There isn't a competition here for attention, its simple demand and supply. If there is more attention on the forums for GENS its because there is a greater demand for it. There aren't genesis players deliberately going into SNES threads to subtly bash it. The fact is its one community here to support a 20 year old game no matter what the platform. The platform is almost irrelevant.

But anyway, even years later I still have this little filter setup and it works great!

This post is hidden because you have chosen to ignore posts by tru. View it anyway?

Enough about that.

I tried to get the SEGA CD version going but got an error about loading the BIOS. Then I finally got as far as the Sega screen but it went blank after that...

Can we play this version online?

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be able to get this to play on Gens years ago, but sadly that is not the case today. From what I remember the game looks and plays mostly the same as the Genesis version, so it is very much in keeping with many other Sega CD games that just offered enhanced audio over the cartridge version. I do remember enjoying that when you paused the game, there were cool audio effects that played to simulate walking through the concourse of an arena during a game (or something like that).

I didn't even realize the Hot/Cold effects were removed; how silly. There was so much that could/should have been done with this game on the Sega CD, like the addition of a regular season mode or you know, COLOR PHOTOS of the player cards or something. Seeing how cool that Sega CD looked in all those posters that came with Genesis games back in the day made me want one so badly, but in retrospect I'm glad we never got one with offerings like these littering the library.