NHL'94 Forums

Official Summer Rom

CoachMac

10 hours ago, CoachMac said:

Still not sure what to do on Hot/Cold?

SmozRom Choice 4 or 5?
Please advise.

I like it when you go to Edit Lines and you see the true player attributes.  (With the real numbers, after adjusting for Hot and Cold.)

I am not sure if this is what you mean, or what SmozROM or 4 or 5 is...

Yeah I got no memory of smoz settings 1-5.

supposed to be hot/cold ON (so each game a player's rating can change some) && then in edit lines, you can see the in game rating for your player.

Thats what was discussed & settled upon.

ill try to check late tonight to verify if this is what we have but I'm not near CPU till then likely 

2 hours ago, Brutus said:

Yeah I got no memory of smoz settings 1-5.

supposed to be hot/cold ON (so each game a player's rating can change some) && then in edit lines, you can see the in game rating for your player.

Thats what was discussed & settled upon.

ill try to check late tonight to verify if this is what we have but I'm not near CPU till then likely 

No need to check.  
That is what you got.

Personally hate it.

Thanks coach!

Trade deadline is tonight!

Season will start as soon as chaos gets time to put league on site.   Sometime between Thursday and the end of weekend.

18 hours ago, CoachMac said:

No need to check.  
That is what you got.

Personally hate it.

Yeah I get it.  I know in your leagues how the settings are going to be upfront, and I draft my team(s) accordingly.

Using NHL94 ratings, there are a LOT of guys who I'd drop in my draft rankings if I wouldn't know if they are hot or cold, because the entire player changes based on this for certain types.

For example,
Brett Hull.
He's a 5 stick handler and a 6/3 shot.  That shot is awesome when on.  But, if he's cold, now he becomes SLOW and loses his ability to "toggle" B checks, as his 5 stick handling drops down below the "toggle" level.  His 3 accuracy, which is tough to handle when normal, becomes unbearable.  So a guy about speed 3 with 4 stick handling and a 5/2 shot is barely above Brendan Shannahan for this game.

As a result, for this game, Hull can't play center.  You have to move him to LW/RW and make other arrangements to score with, and if you drafted Hull, you normally drafted at least one setup guy, so your scoring options just got even more limited.  But figuring out a guy is COLD isn't always a one shot experience and you instantly know.  It can take several bad plays to figure it out.

Another example is a guy like Muller.  He's all 4/4/4/4/4/4/4's across.  But, he's fat.  So, if he's cold, he can't shoot from afar because his shot is closer to 3/3, can't skate at his weight with 3/3 skills and generally, is way below a bugger in terms of value.  I'd rather play with Bob Bassen than a cold Muller.   Even IF Bassen is cold, he doesn't lose his weight/ check ability, and with his weight and speed burst, at least stays a defensive dominant forward.

And here in lies the conundrum. IF the goal is to feel out who is hot, who is cold, etc, and work through who to play, I'd be ALL for it, if you change the game time to AT LEAST 7 minute periods.  5 mins x 3 is not enough time to figure it out and not be behind the 8 ball the rest of the way.  This randomly gives a huge advantage to one opponent without enough time to adjust for it.  Because remember, by the time I figure out Hull is cold, I still don't know if the bench player I bring in for him is cold as well!

ALSO, if I know up front I won't know till the end of the 1st period if Brett Hull, Muller & one of my other players is worth having in the lineup, I'd draft guys more immune to this.  Guys like Ray Bourque lose some of their offensive prowess if cold, but they can still C/B check like a monster and stay aggressive checking as CPU.  Goalies like Eddy, even cold are still dominant.   SO, if you know up front it's going to be BLIND and random, then I'd at least adjust accordingly.

That's my long explanation on WHY I prefer to know the ratings if the HOT/COLD is on.   I get wanting it to be more like real hockey where you don't know till you play the games, but even with a guy like Hull in static mode, he's a 6/3 shot.  There is already a lot of random results with nothing guaranteed build into the video game, imo.

Great post Brutus.

You summed up many people's feelings and why we have the roms done the way we do for most leagues except for mine.:big_smile:

I am fine with that and have happily spent many hours building what I believe to be a great fun rom for this league.
Even though it is not done the way I like.

However,

I will continue to beat the drum of why you, me and all love this game as opposed to Tetris or Pac-Man is the randomness and variation it provides.
If the Original game in 1993 had been Static with all advantages equal, and all the randomness removed, I don't believe we would still be playing it.

1980 USA vs USSR, my one game HUGE upset win in Green Bay etc...... never happen with those parameters.

I am headed out to coach Regional Track Championships.  I would love to know who is Hot/Cold etc..., but I don't.
Gotta feel it and figure it out.

I am glad this year we have a gigantic Home advantage as the more talented Las Vegas kids gotta run at altitude and in cold snowy weather.

Can't wait to get this thing started.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smozoma said:

One small thing, hot/cold goes from, if I remember correctly, -0.6 to +0.4, so a super cold Muller is 3.4 in everything.

SO, I've been thinking about this.
The only ROM we've been using that was not-static for a while is Skip's VHL Rom.

I just loaded up Coach's ROM, and it's the first time I found HOT/COLD ratings to not be universal straight, "YOU ARE COLD, YOU ARE s**t".

In Skip's ROM, the AGILITY & the SPEED where both always both dropped and BOTH way cold.  So a guy who is normally Speed 92 was coming in the low 80's every time.

OH AND OF COURSE, Brett Hull was ICE ICE COLD!! lol

My ? is, is there something Skip could have been doing to make the hot/cold more extreme or to display everything all as one extreme?

Because I've never seen guys with different hot/cold on different ratings in the same game (which is actually much better!).

54 minutes ago, Brutus said:

My ? is, is there something Skip could have been doing to make the hot/cold more extreme or to display everything all as one extreme?

Because I've never seen guys with different hot/cold on different ratings in the same game (which is actually much better!).

YES!

Do any of you Rocket Scientist with Cell Phones read anything!

That is the difference between choice 4 and 5 in the Smozrom App.

Skip must have used choice 5 and I did 4 which is what smoz recommends for online leagues.

I use choice 3 for all of my Historic roms and would always be my choice.

Which shows standard NOSE rating for everything but they are actually Hot and Cold and you have to feel it.

Choice 1 is the Original Settings

Choice 2 is Static.

Edited by CoachMac

25 minutes ago, CoachMac said:

YES!

Do any of you Rocket Scientist with Cell Phones read anything!

That is the difference between choice 4 and 5 in the Smozrom App.

Skip must have used choice 5 and I did 4 which is what smoz recommends for online leagues.

I use choice 3 for all of my Historic roms and would always be my choice.

Which shows standard NOSE rating for everything but they are actually Hot and Cold and you have to feel it.

Choice 1 is the Original Settings

Choice 2 is Static.

Well, this is definitely better than when a guy is cold, all his ratings are cold, especially when it seems to be way more often the guy is EXTREME cold in this option more times than not.

And, I NOW remember, but it's been at least 3-4 years since I've looked at Smoz's settings for applying the hack, so I actually forgot that was an option.

Either way, this looks like a good setting for us.

1 minute ago, Brutus said:

Well, this is definitely better than when a guy is cold, all his ratings are cold, especially when it seems to be way more often the guy is EXTREME cold in this option more times than not.

I disagree. This will mess up the skating because agility and speed are two different stats. You probably want those two stats to be in sync with each other.

Also, the hot/cold seems to depend on what the home/away advantages are. I think the advantages have to be set to average (like in GDL), and you will almost never see anyone extremely hot or cold.

If you do want the hot/cold, I think Blitz did it best. Every home team gets a strong advantage, and every road team has an average one.

Currently, it's set for the home team to be weak and the road team to be strong.

2 minutes ago, Premium said:

Currently, it's set for the home team to be weak and the road team to be strong.

This is the best way to make no difference where you play.

Road strong is a misnomer.

Maybe. We played yesterday (I was on the road), and I toddled with Jari Kurri, who has 4 stickhandling. So, there is a difference.

Edited by Premium

Home Advantage can be from 0 to 5.

Strong Home 2 vs Brutal Road 3 = 5 Home advantage

Strong Home 2 vs Strong Road 0 = 2 Home advantage

Weak Home 0 vs  Brutal road 3 = 3 Home Advantage

Weak Home 0 vs Strong Road 0 = 0 Home advantage Personally hate it, but the best setting to eliminate advantages.

1 minute ago, CoachMac said:

Home Advantage can be from 0 to 5.

Strong Home 2 vs Brutal Road 3 = 5 Home advantage

Strong Home 2 vs Strong Road 0 = 2 Home advantage

Weak Home 0 vs  Brutal road 3 = 3 Home Advantage

Weak Home 0 vs Strong Road 0 = 0 Home advantage Personally hate it, but the best setting to eliminate advantages.

That makes sense. 

39 minutes ago, Premium said:

I disagree. This will mess up the skating because agility and speed are two different stats. You probably want those two stats to be in sync with each other.

Also, the hot/cold seems to depend on what the home/away advantages are. I think the advantages have to be set to average (like in GDL), and you will almost never see anyone extremely hot or cold.

If you do want the hot/cold, I think Blitz did it best. Every home team gets a strong advantage, and every road team has an average one.

I remember hearing this before now that we are re-discussing it.

I'd rather have speed 74 & 69 agility instead of 69 speed & 69 agility.  It's not that much of a difference.

SO, I don't remember HOW it went to make it "all cold changes the same", but TO ME, it seemed to be more like a much stronger version of being cold than what I'm seeing with Coach's ROM here.

FOR EXAMPLE, I just fired up another game, and here is Reichel's ratings (normally ALL 4's, or 72)

Agility 73, Speed 79, Shot Power 63 Shot Accuracy 80, Passing 67, Stick Handling 74.

NOW, I prefer static, BUT IF we are using HOT/COLD, then I definitely prefer this instead of him being
67's or 63's across the board.

I'll settle for an occasional wonky Speed/Agility combo over the entire guy being cold/useless. 
***AND of course, Hull was cold again.  He's always cold, 90% of the time.  ***
REMEMBER, we only draft 5 guys these days, so subs/other options are really limited, not there.

Just now, Brutus said:

image.png

SO, in OPTION 5, it states ALL attributes will either be HOT or COLD.

FOR me, it surely seemed that the number of times a guy is COLD and more specifically WAY COLD seemed to be much greater than any other combo. 

That's why I'd rather have it where each rating is randomly plus or minus 8 points, because then you can still find some use for a partially cold player.

Just my take on it.  Maybe there could be an easy fix where speed/agility are tied together, Shot Power/Shot Accuracy tied together and Stick Handling/Passing tied together, but not all of them, so if a player is COLD shot, he might have a HOT shot!

That'd be way more fun than all cold or all hot, imo.  BUT, I can't code crap.

39 minutes ago, Brutus said:

SO, in OPTION 5, it states ALL attributes will either be HOT or COLD.

FOR me, it surely seemed that the number of times a guy is COLD and more specifically WAY COLD seemed to be much greater than any other combo. 

That's why I'd rather have it where each rating is randomly plus or minus 8 points, because then you can still find some use for a partially cold player.

Just my take on it.  Maybe there could be an easy fix where speed/agility are tied together, Shot Power/Shot Accuracy tied together and Stick Handling/Passing tied together, but not all of them, so if a player is COLD shot, he might have a HOT shot!

That'd be way more fun than all cold or all hot, imo.  BUT, I can't code crap.

We don't need more options!:big_smile:

I am glad you are happy with the settings.

I continue to think Choice 1 or 3 are the best, and 3 is my choice.