Puck Junk

Interview with Blades of Steel box cover illustrator

Hey hockey video game fans,

Before there was NHL '94, there was Blades of Steel. I always loved the artwork on the cover of the box, so I tracked down the artist (who coincidentally lives in my hometown) and interviewed him. Believe it or not, he even got in a bit of trouble for his Blades of Steel illustration. 

http://puckjunk.com/2019/02/06/interview-tom-dubois-blades-of-steel-box-cover-artist/

Anyway, please check it out. Hopefully, you enjoy it. 

Sal

Tom_DuBois_Header_Image.jpg

• Like 1

Great interview. Thanks for sharing!

It's such an iconic box art. It really sucks that he had to pay $10,000 for a painting that he was only paid about $5000 to do in the first place.

• Like 1

I very much enjoyed this read!  The $10,000 was a steep fine, but the dude completely copied another artists work.  Big no-no!  I guess he had the option of not paying it and losing his deal with the Ad Agency.    

• Like 1

im surprised Wayne Gretzkys corporate goons allowed his likeness to be used

• Like 1

On 2/6/2019 at 11:15 AM, kingraph said:

I very much enjoyed this read!  The $10,000 was a steep fine, but the dude completely copied another artists work.  Big no-no!  I guess he had the option of not paying it and losing his deal with the Ad Agency.    

A lot of illustrators, artists and painters use photos for reference. Also, a lot of sports video games (and even hockey video games) based its cover artwork on reference photos. 

On 2/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, kgman said:

im surprised Wayne Gretzkys corporate goons allowed his likeness to be used

But if you look closely, that isn't Gretzky's face on the box cover. The artist changed the likeness so it did not resemble Gretzky.