Recommended Posts

Has there ever been a Sega CD league? Is it even possible to play it online? I was fooling around with it today and it’s pretty cool with the updated sounds and music as well as the smoother graphics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidswasted said:

Has there ever been a Sega CD league? Is it even possible to play it online? I was fooling around with it today and it’s pretty cool with the updated sounds and music as well as the smoother graphics. 

Hasn't been one, yet.

Other reason why we haven't had a league is because draft leagues aren't possible, and simple things like reducing penalty length can't be adjusted easily in NOSE.
@don16086 was working on modding the CD version, but it's been 15 years.

Can't say I'm a fan of the audio. Doesn't feel like it fits the game, to me.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could always run a classic once a year or something. Not sure how difficult it would be to upload states for league stats versus genesis. I’m still very new to everything and trying to gobble up as much info from these forums as I can. 
 

I will say the shot sound is a little weird for sure. I do like the crowd noise when they’re not booing or cheering. It reminds me of a real crowd at a game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

We could always run a classic once a year or something. Not sure how difficult it would be to upload states for league stats versus genesis. I’m still very new to everything and trying to gobble up as much info from these forums as I can. 

There's a lot of great stuff on the boards in the inactive league sub-forums. Lots of old drama that is fun to revisit and there's a lot of great memories from the last 15 years. It's quite the rabbit hole. 

Having a public tournament would make more sense for Sega CD.

Also, the offsets are different for uploading save states, so, we'd have to figure that out.

9 minutes ago, kidswasted said:

I will say the shot sound is a little weird for sure. I do like the crowd noise when they’re not booing or cheering. It reminds me of a real crowd at a game. 

Yep. The shot sound effect is the one that bothers me the most.

There are some nice things about the .WAV audio files, but it was just a gimmick at the time to just have a CD based, NHL hockey game. EA could have added a lot of the stuff to the SEGA CD version, to the point that it'd be the only one that we play, today.

And the Yamaha 2612 chip is classic; so many great chip tunes. When we remake the game, we have to keep the audio true to the era with the same chip or a similar one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, clockwise said:

There's a lot of great stuff on the boards in the inactive league sub-forums. Lots of old drama that is fun to revisit and there's a lot of great memories from the last 15 years. It's quite the rabbit hole. 

I haven’t even thought about looking at this section. New rabbit hole for me!

I downloaded some CD games yesterday and almost all of them are god awful. I was looking to buy a Sega CD model 2 but after playing those games it’s just not with the $150 investment. It would be cool if someone brought one to a live event to play a few games. 
 

It would be cool to have custom MP3’s in the game like Kernkraft 400 when the Bruins score at home.  When I tried to assemble the game using the files(including audio files) from this site and with using sega cue maker I just couldn’t get the music to work in the game. I tried several forums on various sites but ended up saying F it and just downloaded a complete cue/bin from another site and the music finally worked. My time to tinker has been shortened after having a kid last year lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, kidswasted said:

I downloaded some CD games yesterday and almost all of them are god awful.
 

 

I mean I guess that FMV-based games looked cool back in the early 90s because we hadn't seen anything like them before, but there's a reason that they never made a sequel to Sewer Shark or Night Trap.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 2:46 PM, Tickenest said:

I mean I guess that FMV-based games looked cool back in the early 90s because we hadn't seen anything like them before, but there's a reason that they never made a sequel to Sewer Shark or Night Trap.

How dare you besmirch Sewer Shark!

I bought far too many of those games as a kid.  The Black and White Boxing game, Ground Zero Texas.  Haven't played them in 20 years, I bet they don't hold up well :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online