NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: 2024 Edition by Adam Catalyst

AdamCatalyst

25 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Thanks!

Sorry, I know nothing about retroid. Is it a handheld? A platform? 

It’s a handlheld device, it has a bunch of emulators on it, and genesis is one of them

Gotcha. So are you asking for assistance in getting in on a Retroid device? You may need to unzip the distribution (as it has some other files in it), but otherwise should be compliant.

Thank you for the hard work.  I played a few games this weekend, and it’s a pretty great experience!  I grew up on the SNES, but the genesis version is really awesome, especially with bug fixes.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2024 at 12:19 PM, AdamCatalyst said:

Hey folks,

Update 2.1 is now live, available in the usual place. I've included thumbnail artwork for popular emulators. Please let me know if there is a more desirable size / resolution for whatever you use.

cheers,

-a

Thanks. Great work, as always!

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Oaf said:

Thank you for the hard work.  I played a few games this weekend, and it’s a pretty great experience!  I grew up on the SNES, but the genesis version is really awesome, especially with bug fixes.

Thanks! Glad you enjoy. I grew up with NHLPA '93 on the SNES myself, but '94 on the SNES was my favourite to rent. I didn't "discover" '94 for Sega until a few years ago, a beautiful blend of the SNES versions I loved. 

Re: Player Photos. As I plot out my roadmap for the season, it doesn't look like I will have time to update *all* the player photos, as I would like to. If you find that your favourite (or any other) team's photos look outdated, just drop a comment below, and I'll put that on the list of team photos to update.

Great work, @AdamCatalyst.  I have not been active on the forum for ages (life has gotten in the way) and I am looking forward to loading this onto my Retroid Pocket 2+ in a couple of minutes and wiling away the time during my flight tomorrow morning.  Cheers!

@Drewbdoo71 - I use a RetroArch front end with my RP2+ and use the Genesis Plus GX core for Mega Drive / Genesis games.  It works perfectly, although you might need to reconfigure / remap the control buttons.  If you get stuck, have a look at this site, as it includes really easy-to-follow workthroughs and videos that focus on maximising the potential of most RP builds / models (including the morer recent ones): https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/01/16/retroid-pocket-2-starter-guide.  I hope that this helps.

• Love 1

Update v2.3 on the main page. There were a litany of small errors as to how I rate defence man in the previous release (2.2). While I doubt anyone would notice, I pulled it regardless. Aside from the ratings fix, I also fixed a long-standing error I just found out about yesterday.

In other news, v3.0 is well in progress. I will be re-rating every single player from scratch, again, for the umpteenth time, as I've updated my gameplay model. Skating will be a bit slower. Overall slightly more realistic. If there is any interest, I may also bring back the "arcade mode" patch for those who want a less realistic more classic experience. Leave me a note if any variation patches interest you.

Edited by AdamCatalyst
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2

i appreciate your honesty 👍 thank you 🙏i prefer an arcade feel but that's just my opinion. i like big hits , fast shots and passing. As well as boosted ratings for superstars ex. Gretzky 99 Hull 99 etc... but for new players. Connor McDavid 99 or whatever is the equivalent of 99 on nhl 94 thank you 🙏

Edited by nastynacho
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, nastynacho said:

i appreciate your honesty 👍 thank you 🙏i prefer an arcade feel but that's just my opinion. i like big hits , fast shots and passing. As well as boosted ratings for superstars ex. Gretzky 99 Hull 99 etc... but for new players. Connor McDavid 99 or whatever is the equivalent of 99 on nhl 94 thank you 🙏

Thanks for letting me know! Do you want to beta test an arcade / classic mode when I have one ready?

• Love 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:20 AM, AdamCatalyst said:

Update v2.3 on the main page. There were a litany of small errors as to how I rate defence man in the previous release (2.2). While I doubt anyone would notice, I pulled it regardless. Aside from the ratings fix, I also fixed a long-standing error I just found out about yesterday.

In other news, v3.0 is well in progress. I will be re-rating every single player from scratch, again, for the umpteenth time, as I've updated my gameplay model. Skating will be a bit slower. Overall slightly more realistic. If there is any interest, I may also bring back the "arcade mode" patch for those who want a less realistic more classic experience. Leave me a note if any variation patches interest you.

I dunno, I mean players skate pretty fast. How long does it take for the average player to skate length of the rink? Is it similar in '94 2024?

I also like big hits, I kind of miss them. But at the same time, the game now is kinda light on hits.

Edited by George
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, George said:

I dunno, I mean players skate pretty fast. How long does it take for the average player to skate length of the rink? Is it similar in '94 2024?

I also like big hits, I kind of miss them. But at the same time, the game now is kinda light on hits.

I try to do things like clock McDavid's real-life blue-line to blue-line speed and replicate it in the ROM. Then I work on the slowest speed in the ROM that feels plausible playing against McD's speed. All of this has to be considered against certain constants, like the passing speed, which can't be changed. 

Will be including an "Arcade" style patch, that will increase speed and hits, for those who want more!

Edited by AdamCatalyst
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

I’ve been sick, so no updates lately. I’m feeling better now, and getting back into this. Will put out an update sooner than later, aiming for the end of the all star break. 

Okay hope you feel better.  :-)

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:54 AM, AdamCatalyst said:

I’ve been sick, so no updates lately. I’m feeling better now, and getting back into this. Will put out an update sooner than later, aiming for the end of the all star break. 

I want to make a joke about your crossing your Russian hacker friends and them employing some Novichok as a way of expressing their displeasure,
but instead I shall just wish you good health and good luck.

• Like 1

Hello Adam.
We, the Russian NHL94 community, respect your work and even held our tournaments on your rom. But during the game, one interesting point emerged - if the goalkeeper turns on the manual, then the probability of not hitting the target increases sharply. Sometimes it even becomes funny. The puck can fly above the goal, past the goal, although the distance is minimal. This can't just be an accident - it happens too often. Tell me, is there a way to fix this?

16 minutes ago, ANDJ said:

Hello Adam.
We, the Russian NHL94 community, respect your work and even held our tournaments on your rom. But during the game, one interesting point emerged - if the goalkeeper turns on the manual, then the probability of not hitting the target increases sharply. Sometimes it even becomes funny. The puck can fly above the goal, past the goal, although the distance is minimal. This can't just be an accident - it happens too often. Tell me, is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for your kind words! To tell you the truth I have never noticed such a thing. I will look out for it as soon as I get back to test playing. In any case, I have *no* idea what causes this. Is this something that only happens in my ROM hack, or is it in others? Is it in the original?

I have very limited understanding of the gameplay engine, and have only changed a couple of variables that should affect that. That being said, there can always be unintended consequences to even the most minor of changes. If it is only my ROM hack that has the problem, there are a few things I could try stripping out, to see if it makes a difference. If you would have the time / interest to test this for me, send me a PM and I can output a few different variations for you to day. But if the issue is in all the ROMs, it is *way* beyond my technical expertise. I'm most a guy who takes the hard work of others, and refines it into a cohesive package. I don't really have the knowledge for the more technical aspects.

In the original, this problem also exists, but to a much lesser extent, of course.
We here, at our tournaments, monitor this moment, and it definitely takes place. It even spawned a few local memes, if you understand)
We'll start playing on version 2.3 now, and when that happens we'll be recording its.

On 2/9/2024 at 12:51 PM, ANDJ said:

In the original, this problem also exists, but to a much lesser extent, of course.
We here, at our tournaments, monitor this moment, and it definitely takes place. It even spawned a few local memes, if you understand)
We'll start playing on version 2.3 now, and when that happens we'll be recording its.

THANKYOU for all the info. I don’t believe any 2.x release will be any better. I will try to look at this in the future, but I suspect this might be one that is too much for me. If I get a potential solution, I will PM you with it!

Best wishes to you and all our Russian friends. :)