NHL'94 Forums

Spring 2008 Classic League at a theatre near you.

When is there going to be a new league starting up?

Hopefully by March 21st. Some new rules are being worked on....once that's done..an official post will be made with the new rules as well for sign ups.......two or three for genesis and most likley just one for snes.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello coaches,

Welcome to the classic league again. This season will see a change in admins. Evan and Jacob are taking a one-season sabbatical. Brett (addisonbr) and Darrell (halifax) will look after the GENS and SNES leagues. Addisonbr will host the league standings on his website (planetrogers.com) and calculate the stats manually. Scores will be logged in the forums.

An email will be sent out within the next couple weeks explaining the registration process and the new league rules.

We expect registration to last from April 1st – 10th, with league play beginning April 15th.

Good luck,

Darrell and Brett

Addisonbr will host the league standings on his website (planetrogers.com) and calculate the stats manually. Scores will be logged in the forums.

Why is nhl94online.com's league system not being used? Is it something that only Jacob and Evan know how to run?

Why is nhl94online.com's league system not being used? Is it something that only Jacob and Evan know how to run?

I can throw together a PHP standings module if it's needed...

We're trying to allow Evan and Jacob to take a true sabbatical. Those half-sabbaticals are never quite as energizing as the full-sabbaticals. If you wake a bear up a month into winter, they're always so grumpy.

statto - I just might take you up on that. Would you mind sending me a PM? Thanks.

We're trying to allow Evan and Jacob to take a true sabbatical. Those half-sabbaticals are never quite as energizing as the full-sabbaticals. If you wake a bear up a month into winter, they're always so grumpy.

statto - I just might take you up on that. Would you mind sending me a PM? Thanks.

i hear ya, i just thought they had it pretty much ironed out to be dummyproof. oh well

yeah, a small php app would be super simple to write, with a mysql backend or similar.

Just to note some of the changes you can expect for the spring classic league.

1. All leagues will be 30 games.

2. Leagues will be assigned based on coaches skill and commitment. Only coaches who played in the previous classic league that had a strong commitment will be guaranteed a spot in the next classic league. The remaining coaches will fill up the last league and the rest put on the waiting list. This is all determined by the admin team.

3. All teams will make the playoffs and follow a simliar format to the Juiced league. Division winners will no longer be seeded a 1,2. Top X in upper tier playoffs, bottom X in lower tier playoffs.

x=numbers to be determined per league.

The league rules will be posted on the forums early next week and we will also start registration early. The league will still start in April.

Yay! You know I'll go the full length if I'm not constantly getting blitzed every game, so you can all but nail me down to the bottom division :blink:

I just gotta get back in game shape, make sure the new controller won't spaz on me online, and I'll be down for another .500 season and an early playoff exit because my guys never shoot when they're supposed to. They make the Mighty Weenies look competent! (if you play Mutant League Hockey, you will get the reference.)

Id have to say that i like most of the new rules, except everyone makes playoffs. I think it will bring the level of play down. Theres no real motivation to win.

Technically there is....If i may provide an example.

16 teams in GENS A...the top 8 make the top tier playoffs...bottom 8 play in a lower tier playoffs....so there IS motivation to finish higher but it gives everyone a chance to play in a playoff series.

I've done this for three seasons in my own league and I've never had anyone complain to me that they got a chance to play a playoff series. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

Is the league setup (divisions, number of teams, number of games) absolutely static? I'd prefer to see a system where everyone plays everyone else an even number of games home and away - whether that be 2 or 4...

Also, you may want to mull over my idea of playing series instead of just games - halifax, you know what I'm talking about - nothing as crazy as best of 7, but maybe best of 3 or 5 (depending on how many games you want to be the average).

With an odd number of players we can assign home-ice advantage (or play like a 1-2-2 in a best-of-5).

Or even, if you don't mind drawn series, four games - twice home, twice away - but obviously it only takes three games to finish up.

I've done this for three seasons in my own league and I've never had anyone complain to me that they got a chance to play a playoff series. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

Well, I didn't say anything at the time, halifax, but I was pretty f***ing angry that you had "B" playoffs for those pathetic loser jerks who finished too low in the standings in the Nostalgia league. God, I hate those people. Their game is weak and their sole purpose is to get pounded on by the "A" folks. As for the Juiced league, I'm mildly annoyed at their existence and greatly impressed at their ability to conduct playoffs in a timely and efficient manner.

/sarcasm

Well, I didn't say anything at the time, halifax, but I was pretty f***ing angry that you had "B" playoffs for those pathetic loser jerks who finished too low in the standings in the Nostalgia league. God, I hate those people. Their game is weak and their sole purpose is to get pounded on by the "A" folks. As for the Juiced league, I'm mildly annoyed at their existence and greatly impressed at their ability to conduct playoffs in a timely and efficient manner.

/sarcasm

hey, at least those B jerks didnt try to challenge the A champs for an "ultimate champion"

oh wait...

Is the league setup (divisions, number of teams, number of games) absolutely static? I'd prefer to see a system where everyone plays everyone else an even number of games home and away - whether that be 2 or 4...

Also, you may want to mull over my idea of playing series instead of just games - halifax, you know what I'm talking about - nothing as crazy as best of 7, but maybe best of 3 or 5 (depending on how many games you want to be the average).

With an odd number of players we can assign home-ice advantage (or play like a 1-2-2 in a best-of-5).

Or even, if you don't mind drawn series, four games - twice home, twice away - but obviously it only takes three games to finish up.

thanks for the suggestion. we're gonna stick with the 30 game regular season. For any 16 team leagues a 30 game season fits perfectly(play everyone one home and one away)....any other numbered league and we'll try and balance it as best we can. Divisions will be set up still but more so as just a fun thing.

/sarcasm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=loWrI1FneSM

Hey Halifax...i saw the sign up sheet....i assume its first come first serve? (either way expect me to be the first one with my name down!!!!)

but if it is first come first serve....whats the point of the waiting list? (although i shouldent bring that up cause am at the bottom lol)

Hey Halifax...i saw the sign up sheet....i assume its first come first serve? (either way expect me to be the first one with my name down!!!!)

but if it is first come first serve....whats the point of the waiting list? (although i shouldent bring that up cause am at the bottom lol)

It is not 'first come, first served'.

Committed coaches from the previous classic season(Fall 07) are guaranteed a spot if they choose to sign up. The rest of the league(s) will be filled out with other coaches that we feel as the next best to suit the leagues(commitment and skill).

For someone like yourself...you've already shown reliablility playing in the capitalism league...thus that would be taken into consideration to determine where you would be placed in terms of the league or waiting list.

This process of placing coaches in leagues will be determined by the admins(addisonbr and myself). We feel we have a strong handle on who is reliable and their skill level for both Genesis and SNES....but if we do have any questions there's plenty of veteran coaches we can consult to determine who should go where (some veteran coaches have offered to help us out in this process).

Are you going to restrict players to registering for only Gens or only SNES, or can a player (ok, I) play in both leagues?

And how are you going to handle team selection? You said you're opening the signup thread on Tuesday, but is team selection first come, first served? Or will it be list your top 20 choices and then you order the registered players randomly and assign them teams based upon their player rankings (which is the way Evan's done it for at least the last two seasons.)

I've merged this topic with another.

Are you going to restrict players to registering for only Gens or only SNES, or can a player (ok, I) play in both leagues?

There will be no restriction...coaches may sign up for both.

And how are you going to handle team selection? You said you're opening the signup thread on Tuesday, but is team selection first come, first served? Or will it be list your top 20 choices and then you order the registered players randomly and assign them teams based upon their player rankings (which is the way Evan's done it for at least the last two seasons.)

Team selection will be handled the exact same as last season.