NHL'94 Forums

GDL 4/5 Update

angryjay93

The KG/Ice series has until Friday night to be completed, if it isnt complete, Ice gets the bye.

The finals will then have until Sept. 28th to get done.

Now, what to do for GDL 5 in the mean time...

First thing we need to do is have signups for returning managers, that thread will be posted shortly after this one. These signups will last until Friday night. Ill be emailing and PM'ing managers who havent been around in a while to give them a heads up. Just post that you want back in the league and what the top 3 teams that you would like if you are going to be releasing your current team.

Once Friday rolls around, any open spots will be gobbled up by people currently on the waiting list, i will be getting in touch with them as well to see if they still have the desire to join the league. Any new people invited into the league will have a draft spot behind the GDL 4 winner. Remember the draft is snake, so while you have a low 1st round pick, youll have a high 2nd rounder.

Also, on Saturday, I will reveal the results of the draft lottery, at which point, we can start having the draft go on in. I wont be clearing the database at that point though, we will wait for the end of the cup final to clear the database. Once the lottery is completed, the rest of the draft will be determined as well aside from the cup loser/winners.

I have a template for next seasons schedule, i assume we will be using the same format, so it would just take some editing of teams from the different divisions in order to get everything in order there.

Hopefully, within one week of the end of the finals, we will be able to get some preseason games in, i envision preseason lasting approx. 1 week and at that point we would be ready to get rolling for gdl 5 if everything goes according to plan.

Also, we will likely need to find a new commish...or 3...whatever people want to do if they dont want me around anymore. Also, even if people want me around, i may just step down anyway, there is no sense of me staying in this spot for too long, ive already had to make a lot of difficult decisions that were very debatable and its just a really hard thing to deal with day in and day out. but i leave that in the hands of the community since its our league and not mine.

Feel free to comment on anything and remind me of any steps that need to be taken before the start of the season that i have forgotten.

TACO POWER

The best tacos however are the ones at Taqueria Los Pericos. If you happen to be in the West San Jose area but do not have my phone number, wait there and I am bound to show up within 72 hours.

Although for 72 hours you are more likely to find me online so bring your lappy toppy and I'll buy you a round of tacos (provided you is not more than one person and i is not poor and broke). Two rounds with breasts.

EDIT: Oh, my point was that they are usually over $2, but the endless chips and salsa more than make up for it - spread out your taco dollar!

Hey AJ,

It's very tough being commish. Decisions that have to be made and its very hard to keep 24 people happy. You had some bumps in the road, but overall you did a very good job. The draft ran smoothly, you set deadlines, its just difficult to get people to adhere to them sometimes.

To either you or whoever steps up for GDL 5, I wish them good luck :) and I hope for increased success for the league.

I'd suggest a hands-off approach like I do with my leagues (and am LOOKING for a method to employ in Classic this time around), so that none of the really difficult decisions have to be made - the rules mostly make them for you.

However, with standard playoffs, that's a large segment of the league that is NOT as easy to regulate. Furthermore, with a full draft, you don't want to tell people who may have drafted well that they're s**t out of luck because they weren't around to play a lot of their games...tough to strike a balance.

The reason why I don't want to manage a draft league is because I ask so many people to put a large commitment forth in the beginning of the league - it wouldn't jive with my "this league is what you make of it" philosophy. Plus, I love having open registration - more leagues, more players, far less predictability.

Is there anyone waiting in the wings to take over AJ's job. (that is if he chooses to step down)

I have no experience with running a data base and all that fun stuff...but if someone will teach me/be willing to partner up with me in running GDL (If i am selected/If AJ steps down)

Anyways...just throwing my offer on the table.

However, from what i can see AJ you have done a splendid job with this league and should keep on truckin'

Sounds good AJ. I'm all for your return next season as commish. If there's a way to add a second in command I'd love to fill that roll. My time will be limited compared to what it usually i but I'd love to help out just the same.

On a side note, I'd like to revisit end of year playoff positioning especially dealing with DNP's. I'm a huge proponent of 'play-in' mini series. This is something we've talked about after gdl3 and gdl4.

Any thoughs on implementing Smoz's weight bug fix for gdl5? I'm cool either way.

Other than that, I'm stoked for another season. Hopefully we don't lose many vets from last season.

The KG/Ice series has until Friday night to be completed, if it isnt complete, Ice gets the bye.

The finals will then have until Sept. 28th to get done.

AJ, I im'ed KG last night about my availability thru Friday. Basically available whenever. Just need to know about what time so we can plan diaper patrol.

ice and kg requested they get the weekend to complete their series, they can have the weekend but i will not push back the date for the completion of the finals in order to stick to that deadline. the 28th is the end of gdl 4 come hell or high water.

ok for some clarity ..the draft lottery results will be revealed tomorrow ?...so does that mean the 1st rd will start tomorrow? ...or are we waiting untill the 28th when you and ice/kg play?...........this just isnt for my knowledge ...there are other players wondering what is going on as well