NHL'94 Forums

HokkeeFan = Eastvanapna

shaftman

It seems there has been some issues regarding hokkee being more then 1 person, and thusly got banned.

Don't you need Proof that someone is using 2 names to ban them, other then just a hunch?

(like the same ip?)

Well anyways..

I Remember Eastvanapna messaging me on aim a while ago, and he did seem suspicious. and i asked hokkee about him.

Yes i remember speaking to both hokkee and Eastvanapna at the same time on aim. (2 different convo's)

Also EastvanApna

i believe is a reference to a punjabi school.

and eastvanapna is also registered on a baseball boxing forum thing. (which is not hokkee's forte)

http://forums.dee-nee.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1258

Although thats a pretty inactive account, i dont think hokkee would be in active in anything he joins.

anyways, something fishy is definitely going on here...

and i dont think its hokkee.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit - New uploaded file clears hokke's name. case closed.

eastvanapna.html

Edited by shaftman

I think that before we condemn someone to being banned from the site, we really need some hard evidence that they are guilty. It only took shaftman a small while to figure out that hokkee is innocent. Its absurd that the investigation wasn't thoroughly conducted prior to hokkees conviction. I'd hate to be accused of something on this forum, innocent or not id be kicked out with no recourse.

Ridiculous..

Wow, everything went to hell while I was gone.

For the record I was at a Sharks game, and was trying to figure out if they were the same person. Eastvanapna and hokkeefan2 had one (1) post coming from the same IP. As far as I know that could be an issue of living in the same building, eastvanapna hitching onto hokkee's wireless, etc. It's pretty clear they both live in Vancouver, but that's one quite populous NHL94 land.

What Shafter provided was not proof of anything. Attached is proof one person can have multiple AOL AIM accounts on 2 separate pc's from same location (laptop/pc etc). Yes, I used to be disasterpeice07 and now I'm Icestorm NHL94.

Anyway Sebe, proof was provided to hokkee. He isn't happy about it, but unfortunately he was the one to create another account and play. This was the second time he has done this in the past year if you remember.

Not sure why certain people come jumping out questioning things, and getting all defensive on the topic. Especially when it 'shouldn't' concern them.

I am interested to see this "proof" that was provided. Did they share the same ip? Its possible for two different PPL to share a public IP. Perhaps they were sharing a public connection. Simply sharing an IP with someone doesnt automatically convict you of creating multiple accounts. Obviously your investigation was incomplete and faulty. If it wasnt for coaches like shaftman, (who spoke up even tho you feel it shouldn't concern him), hokkee would be banned as an innocent man. It appears shaftman has proven for certain that he is innocent, [url="http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8859&st=0entry68560"[/url] im curious what the recourse will be. The moderators have some explaining to do, and i believe should really evaluate how they establish whom is creating multiple accounts, and also reevaluate the criteria that should be meet in order to convict someone.

Ice, this topic does concern me, because i was once accused of creating a second account. I had a long time friend over at my place who signed up on my computer, and just because he had the same IP and his name resembled some other dudes name (sciatticattack or whatever who was a multiple account creater), it was automatically assumed I was creating a second account. I explained what happened to my friend, that he was forced to have his name taken off the waiting list for GDL4. What an embarrassment, for me to have to explain that to him.

This whole mulitple ID's crap is a joke, im sure it does happen but its not very difficult to prove who innocent and who is guilty and goes BEYOND SIMPLY IP MATCHING!!

Edited by Sebe_The_Legend

Ice, this topic does concern me, because i was once accused of creating a second account. I had a long time friend over at my place who signed up on my computer, and just because he had the same IP and his name resembled some other dudes name (sciatticattack or whatever who was a multiple account creater), it was automatically assumed I was creating a second account. I explained what happened to my friend, that he was forced to have his name taken off the waiting list for GDL4. What an embarrassment, for me to have to explain that to him.

Yes, I recall that time, and as the GDL 4 commish i remember dealing with this situation, I recall trying to be objective as possible and i asked that your friend, if hed like to stay on the list, that all he has to do is just establish himself in the community, play games, talk to people, etc. I wasnt blacklisting him from the start, but i will admit, i was asking more of him than i would a typical person.

I understand your frustration sebe, and im sorry you had to tell your friend that, i just dont want it to be said that he was forced off the list, atleast, thats not what i remember.

I am interested to see this "proof" that was provided. Did they share the same ip? Its possible for two different PPL to share a public IP. Perhaps they were sharing a public connection.

/break

This whole mulitple ID's crap is a joke, im sure it does happen but its not very difficult to prove who innocent and who is guilty and goes BEYOND SIMPLY IP MATCHING!!

This may not be as obvious to me as it is to some others, but I am guessing I am not the only one in the boat.

I was under the impression that even with a public connection, the last 2-3 digits of an IP number will be unique to that user no matter what so there is no system conflict. Therefore, IP matching does have some legitimacy in my head.

Can someone paint a clear picture if I am wrong about that?

2ndly - I totally agree with you Sebe, and it seems like a lot of people do. Perhaps with the increase in leagues and membership, this is an issue that needs a standard solution before people start blacklisting users. The 2on2 test seems pretty valid in my mind.

This may not be as obvious to me as it is to some others, but I am guessing I am not the only one in the boat.

I was under the impression that even with a public connection, the last 2-3 digits of an IP number will be unique to that user no matter what so there is no system conflict. Therefore, IP matching does have some legitimacy in my head.

Can someone paint a clear picture if I am wrong about that?

2ndly - I totally agree with you Sebe, and it seems like a lot of people do. Perhaps with the increase in leagues and membership, this is an issue that needs a standard solution before people start blacklisting users. The 2on2 test seems pretty valid in my mind.

They can't have the same IP at the same time, unless they are on a) the same computer or b ) different computers on the same router. About routers, it's possible to have a case where one person is 'stealing' a wireless connection from the other, or both stealing from a 3rd party, giving them the same IP address at the same time.

However, it is quite possible to have the same IP address at different times. IP addresses are not constant forever. What are the times on the conflicting IP addresses? Same day, or weeks/months apart? My IP address stays the same for months at a time, but occasionally changes (maybe when my cable modem gets reset?). It is a possibility that two people using the same internet provider in the same general region can end up having the same IP address at different times.

Edited by smozoma