NHL'94 Forums

ALL Classic Coaches please read! (hamachi issues)

halifax

I've had a few people asking me what's going on with hamachi. I didn't have the answer but I may have it now.

Boknowsnhl94 mentioned to me that only 5 people can be put in a group for free otherwise we have to pay.

https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/hamachi/vpn/pricing.aspx?clientTicket=dnpg3u6w2e0ygep37jakk4taf0ofeq4a1kfl9ofo

So in the meantime, please take upon yourself to create some smaller groups and invite other coaches into that group in order to get games completed.

Anyone can post other options that might work for us as well.

One way to do it is to create a room for yourself. When you need to play someone, invite them to your room. When the game is done, you can boot them out using the 'evict' option (they can re-join the room next time you need to play them).

Or someone could buy a copy of hamachi/logmein and make an unlimited room.

Yeah, lately you can't have more than 5 people on a network unless you're still part of the older ones on Hamachi since they got more space and some guys are still in them.

Normally, the number was higher in years past. I don't know why they suddenly decide to downsize the number of free slots.

after a quick google search, apparently this COMODO is a free unlimited alternative to hamachi? I know nothing about it except what I read a few people saying in forums, should we give it a shot?

http://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/vpn-access.php

after a quick google search, apparently this COMODO is a free unlimited alternative to hamachi? I know nothing about it except what I read a few people saying in forums, should we give it a shot?

http://www.comodo.com/home/email-security/vpn-access.php

Good sleuthing!

I'd try it out, but i'm ah busy.. blitz draft and all.. for real finally

Just be aware that if this software doesn't block any ports, and there are looots of people on a network, there could be viruses/worms transmitted. Always turn off the software when you're not playing a game to minimize the chances of getting something. Your computer's software firewall should catch most stuff, but still you are bypassing the extra protection of your router firewall.

Just be aware that if this software doesn't block any ports, and there are looots of people on a network, there could be viruses/worms transmitted. Always turn off the software when you're not playing a game to minimize the chances of getting something. Your computer's software firewall should catch most stuff, but still you are bypassing the extra protection of your router firewall.

isn't hamachi the same thing? You could get a virus in through a network on there too right? What's the difference?

isn't hamachi the same thing? You could get a virus in through a network on there too right? What's the difference?

yes, it's the same, i've mentioned in a few other places to turn off hamachi when not in use.

I think it's time for us to give it a nice test run or two with this new thing.

i like the port forwarding method that bypasses hami. why isnt this being discussed as a hami alternative?

Some people won't have access to their router (I would think a network at a college would restrict access to the router ports). Also, some people are afraid to touch things if there is an easier alternative.

I agree with you though. Port forwarding works.

so i tried out the comodo yesterday. and initially thought it was great - the messaging seemed cool, the UI was better than hamachi. I played against DanL & BO and it seemed fine until half way through the game with BO then Comodo disconnected on my end - after that I could never reconnect to Comodo, it just kind of stalled out. I then removed Comodo last night and did a virus scan and low and behold a virus was quarantined at the exact time i downloaded Comodo.

I had high hopes for this as being an alternative for the masses to Hamachi, but alas i think it is a fail!

so i tried out the comodo yesterday. and initially thought it was great - the messaging seemed cool, the UI was better than hamachi. I played against DanL & BO and it seemed fine until half way through the game with BO then Comodo disconnected on my end - after that I could never reconnect to Comodo, it just kind of stalled out. I then removed Comodo last night and did a virus scan and low and behold a virus was quarantined at the exact time i downloaded Comodo.

I had high hopes for this as being an alternative for the masses to Hamachi, but alas i think it is a fail!

Thanks for testing that out bud and sacrificing your computer for everyone. Hamachi lives on!

I would say the easiest fix is what would was described above: Create a network on hamachi for yourself, give the info to the coach you are playing, play the game, and once you are done playing all the games against the coach, remove them from the network.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this posted on the SNESOT.com forum, One bud said this is better than hamachi.

http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en#l=en&sec=features&sl=tunngle-beta

If someone decides to test it out...please post your opinions on it in this thread.

Not the most user-friendly program.

Here are instructions.. I might have some things in the wrong order since i'm writing some of this from memory.

While you're installing it, can you send me any corrections on AIM?

1. Download from http://www.tunngle.net/index.php?l=en&pg=downloads
  2. Install
  3. Reboot
  4. Start the program
  5. You need to sign in. Register to be able to sign in. Wait for the confirmation email (came instantly for me) and use it to activate your account (just click a link)
  6. Sign in.
  7. Don't be startled by the sounds it makes while signing in.
  8. Check for a windows background window about setting the Tunngle network to home/work/public. I selected Public since I don't trust all your skanky computers. No idea if this actually provides any additional security.
  9. When you sign in, because you selected Public, you might get this error message: "Error 2-106: Network Location Mismatch Detected!"
  10. In the confusing Tunngle window, find the "Private Networks" button (in the left column, under the Quick Access section, looks a bit like a flow chart or org chart with a + in the top-left).
  11. In the lower section, join the group "nhl94" with the password "nhl94buds".
  12. For some reason at this point you get a popup window to "activate" the software. Click the OK button on the window, and a browser window will show up, and you have to write in the CAPTCHA words to activate.
  13. Once the page reloads and says you're activated, go back to Tunngle and click ok.
  14. You'll have to restart the Tunngle. Do so.
  15. In activating the software, your joining of the room is negated. Pretty stupid design on their part. So, you have to go back to the Private Networks button again and join the network.. again. This time you'll get in!
  16. You end up in a chat room.
  17. Type something. Be annoyed by the typewriter noises. Turn them off by clicking "System" at the top of the screen and then "Sounds" and unchecking whichever sounds you want to get rid of.

To play a game with someone, it's a lot like Hamachi, you just need to right-click a person's name and select Copy IP Address (or something like that).

To view their IP address, hover the mouse over their name. Unfortunately this kind of sucks for writing the IP into ZSNES, which doesn't support pasting.

Yeah Comodo worked great for like an hour then it messed up for everybody. I think the individual Hamachi groups work fine... just create your own network and then evict people after you play them so you always have fewer than 5 people in your network.

Bo and I gave this Tunngle thing a shot, and thought it works as advertised, it's a pain in the butt to set up compared to Hamachi.

ahhh another one that's crappy to set up...still can't figure out why these people don't understnad easier is better.

I mean that's why they have macs to compensate for the pc. ;)