NHL'94 Forums

ADVICE FOR MANUAL GOALTENDING?

I'd like to think the guys i've played so far would tell you i'm actually a pretty good player, but i'm currently sitting here with a 3-7 record because I keep throwing away silly goals with the manual keeper.

I've never used them before a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say i've no idea how you guys that are so good with them do it. I take my hat off to you!

My biggest problems seem to be that if I double tap whilst poke checking it switches to the goaltender without me realising, who then shifts across in the direction i'm trying to poke check, leaving the goal wide open, and also that the delay between me trying to switch to manual when the attacker beats my last defender, and me actually getting control of the goalie means very often the auto keeper has already committed himself to a certain action before I can correct him.

Any tips would be much appreciated. I've been in a winning position in 4 or 5 of the games i've lost, and although I told myself I was going to treat this 1st season as a learning exercise and to learn the manual keeper, i'm already getting very frutrated with being competitive in games but having to score 4 or 5 to get a result in a game where probably 3 would be enough to get the win.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

well double tapping B isnt gonna goto goalie, its only when you hold b...

as for the goaltending, it takes awhile to really learn and then longer to get good at it. Just try to anticipate certain shots, like slappers you come out of the net cut the angle down etc. Keep learning how to stop certain shots and positioning in net and youll get good at it. Over using GC can also be a big problem and leave you out of net position. It comes down to timing-anticipation and positioning, and a better goalie helps.

I used to never take my goalie when I first start and got smoked by everyone. I have found that one of the keys is just knowing what the goalie will stop on their own and what you absolutely need to stop using manual control. That should cut down at least one or two goals against per game.

your thumbs must be the size of bear paws if your double tappin' B and switching on the goalie. I know when you play me I make you grip that controller extra tight, but you should seriously relax.

your thumbs must be the size of bear paws if your double tappin' B and switching on the goalie. I know when you play me I make you grip that controller extra tight, but you should seriously relax.

Haha Comeback. As we say in England "You Prat!" lol

SNES rules; manual goalies on command. stack the pads!

I used to never take my goalie when I first start and got smoked by everyone. I have found that one of the keys is just knowing what the goalie will stop on their own and what you absolutely need to stop using manual control. That should cut down at least one or two goals against per game.

Yup. This applies to snes to. 'Goalie Management' is the idea, which consists of using both automatic and manual goalie to maximum effect. Also, when using manual, economy of movement is big. Big, jerky movements and overcommitment will lead to open nets. The best save involves the least movement, and as little of the net open. Optimally, you should only need extravagant movements on one timers or if you've already made a mistake. This does not apply to collecting dumped pucks and crushing guys behind your net. Go wild.

SNES rules; manual goalies on command. stack the pads!

While stacking the pads is excellent indeed, I personally prefer the 'Y' flop tackle, to be used as liberally as possible.

the tackle is usually fine, but if the guy is shooting, stack the pads!

well, you could, but you don't launch forth as you do with the dive. I try not to dive too often because it quite frequently goes under and in.

when you see Roenick coming across the blue line, hold down the 'B' button, close your eyes, pray and hit the 'C' button. That's about the only chance you have my friend.

As we say in America, "You're toast!"

when you see Roenick coming across the blue line, hold down the 'B' button, close your eyes, pray and hit the 'C' button. That's about the only chance you have my friend.

i disagree. it's all about knowing your opponent, not your opponent's players.

i disagree. it's all about knowing your opponent, not your opponent's players.

Some truth to both!

It's important to know the players on the team, because if they have Roenick or Sandstrom and you see them pulling away from the boards after crossing the blue line,, they're probably about to slap it top corner, whereas if it's Hawerchuk or Gretzky, he's probably up to something different and you should keep control of your D, but even if he does slap it, your goalie should stop it since they have weak 2/2 shots.

That said, knowing the opponent behind the controller is at least as important. If playing me, and I go into the corner, you don't need to worry about the walk-across, because that's not part of my game, whereas other guys, it's 50% of their game, and you should be ready to take control of the goalie if you know the player you're controlling can't check the player he's attacking with (but then again, you're using your knowledge of the player attributes!).