NHL'94 Forums

Sega bans Streets of Rage Game Fan Project

IGN SoR Sega

SEGA has shut down the Streets of Rage Remake fan project that had been in development for nearly eight years. The team behind the project, Bomber Games, finally released a free version last week for PC. SEGA's legal team quickly mobilized, however, and had the team remove the download links from their website. Fans are also requested not to upload the game elsewhere.

"SEGA is committed to supporting any fans that take an interest in our games, and where possible we do so by involving them in Beta tests and other development, marketing or research opportunities," a SEGA representative said in a statement.

"However we need to protect our intellectual property rights and this may result in us requesting that our fans remove online imagery, videos or games in some instances."

A number of gameplay videos still remain on YouTube if you want to catch a glimpse.

Hopefully this does come over to our neck of the woods.

I love this series, especially Streets of Rage 2. I can't recall how many times I've played the game just so I could finally beat mania mode.

I had been awaiting the release of their final version of the remake for a few years now. I went to go look for it at the end of March and didn't see anything and then I checked yesterday for the rom and I was so excited when I saw it had been released and then the big let down came when I noticed the link was already gone.

If you ask me this is a pile of horse crap from SEGA's part. The creator of the SORR sent SEGA a formal letter and spent 8 years creating the game, then SEGA decided to step in once its finally released. I can't agree more that I hope they come no where near this site.

Sega was the publisher for that. EA was/is the publisher for NHL'xx and has been nice to us so far.. perhaps because they know a lot of us buy the new games. I know if it weren't for rediscovering NHL'94 in 2005, I wouldn't have bought three XBox 360 NHL series games.

Still, always sad that when people put years of work into something and finally get ready to release it, that's when the companies hear about it and shut it down..

If you ask me this is a pile of horse crap from SEGA's part. The creator of the SORR sent SEGA a formal letter and spent 8 years creating the game, then SEGA decided to step in once its finally released. I can't agree more that I hope they come no where near this site.

Oh, damn, I didn't know that.

That's low...

That's sad, but it's just a fact that games companies have now realised there is a market out there for retro gaming. All of the old games we love from the past are one day going to be available for download via PS3, Xbox & Wii for $5 or $10. Fact of life, and unfortunately it will probably kill off the free rom market (I had a look for some PS1 isos the other day & most of the best games are unavailable at the copyright holder's request.)

It's a shame because obviously they're largely obsolete now, and the people that download them are usually doing so because they're big fans from childhood and want to relive them, not because they're stealing customers from the new game market. Also most of the roms I have are games I bought as a kid, so the producers have already had my money once. The ones I have that I didn't own are just ones I didn't catch 1st time round, and would never dream of paying for ahead of a new game.

You'd like to think they'd be happy that some games are so well loved that people want to keep them alive, but money talks doesn't it?!

Hopefully the creaters of the SOR2 remake will be offered some involvement/payment in providing it as an online download for XBox or something like that.

Maybe they'll also offer Halifax a big time job running the XBox online 94 league & we'll all be asked to cough up $25 to enter every 6 months!..............s**t, shouldn't have said that should I?!! lol

By the way, Final Fight was a million times better than SOR!

I know it was brought out for Genesis as the Final Fight substitute due to the fact they couldn't make Final Fight until the Sega CD turned up with it's extra capabilities, but was it the same people involved? I only ask as the bad guys in SOR are disturbingly similar to those in Final Fight..........it would seem a bit hypocritical of them to ban this remake seeing as how 90% of the game was lifted straight out of Final Fight in the first place! lol

suck Fega.