NHL'94 Forums

GDL - Trade Parameters Discussion

DaDonch44

We all know that trading has been a huge issue in this and previous seasons. There hasn't been an accurate way to dissect trades except for personal opinion and that just causes heated debates.

I have been talking with Smozoma about his formula { [1000 / (10 + DraftPosition)] = Rough Value of Player } and I want to use that, but also incorporate other important rankings with it.

The current one we have been discussing is this:

(1000 / (10 + ((Rank[ADP] + Rank[AAR] + DraftPosition)/3))) = Draft Value of Player

ADP = Average Draft Position of Player (includes all drafts)

AAR = Adjusted Attribute Rating (It takes the actual attributes of the player and multiplies them individually by the multipliers kingraph came up with in his wonderful study. [except weight would be multiplied by a negative]

Draft Position = Is the Overall position they were drafted in the current season.

I'm still working on coding it to see how the stats turn out. But would there be anything else that you the players would feel needs to be incorporated in a formula like this??

Well I hate to continue the laf n kovy discussion here but smozs evaluation percentage is wrong in this type of player for player trade.Kovalenko is the 2nd best overall KILLER in gdl ,sure he doesnt have lafontaines passing n agility and others BUT he has a huge impact on a game because he can take down the superstars of NHL94 and he can score if your a crash or cross the front of net guy.Soooooooooooo this is the BEST example of how you guys need to figure out a new and fair equation for trading. aand if some of you morons need more info...anyone who likes to hit people like carse and his over 100 hits a gm record i think it was,kovalenko isnt more valuable than laf in this style of playing?????I love to hit guys without pokechecking n tripping like a mad crazy mo fo like icestorm,sooo kovy would be more valuable to me,opposed to a guy that only takes down other light guys occasionally.

I like this idea A LOT...combination of draft spot, average draft spot, and calculated player rating to come up with an overall draft value! All those pieces are important to understand.

I would suggest to use a "trimmed" average for ADP.

I was using those same factors to make draft and trade decisions, particularly as I got more comfortable during the draft. I asked myself, "who do I want now (player ratings), can I wait to get them (ADP), and should I trade my pick because its more or less valuable to me right now (draft position)?". For example, I thought Ray Ferraro was a very good player, worthy of my 6th pick, based on player rating. However, his ADP was somewhere in the 9th rd, so I waited until then to draft him. I instead used my pick on Hynes, who despite his dismal rating, I wanted on my team and had to take him then because he would not be around later.

One thing I thought of during this draft more that I hadn't considered as much before is scarcity of an attribute, or particular set of attributes. Given our pool of players doesn't change, it's easy to identify some special players. Like hokkee mentioned above, there are only 2 guys with 3 weight (Fleury and Kovalenko), which makes them a little more special than the straight rating suggests. What makes Roy and Belfour 1st round picks? Scarcity of elite goaltending. If we had 24 similar goalies, we would all be drafting goalies in the 5th and 6th rounds. And so on. Having said that, I believe ADP factors that scarcity in.

Anyway, I'd love to see those results....perhaps applied to our GDL09 trades. I think this new metric would be a good indicator of trade value.

I was under the impression that this "ruling" of trades was meant for rookies. I think if 2 veteran players want to make a trade, let 'em.

I agree! But if it came down to a rookie trade or something else that the trade committee has to look at, at least they'll have another useful metric to help guide their decision.

I also think it might make sense to drop the highest and lowest draft position to account for "outliers".

I think it should just be for the latest 5 seasons. Season 1 had some screwed up picks especially because a lot of people didn't know about the weight bug.