NHL'94 Forums

Can me and skool switch teams?

thegr8199

or hockey works? youre kidding right

hockey also works with more competition, without outragous scores, with some parity.

dont tell me this cant be done, its just a video game for crying out loud.

i think i realize that this league is life or death to everyone here, but the fact of the matter is i didn't FORCE or even ask him to take over my team. We've been playing together for a while, and he was puzzled as to why i was doing bad with the team, and insisted on taking over. I'll just drop if that's the case if everyone is so horribly appalled at us suggesting to trade teams. I'll even keep my old team if it's such a big f**king deal.

I think the main concern is if one of us actually gets far with someone elses team, but this is no different then takeyourpill taking over a team that WASN'T EVEN HIS IN THE FIRST PLACE, and winning the championship. So that shouldn't be a reason for us not doing this.

First off id like to state why would you even leave this situation up to debate when you shoot down my objection with quote "dont tell me this cant be done." If your going to shoot people down like that, instad of saying contact you on AIM or whatever, why dont you just put a big middle finger up there instead? it would make more sense in my opinion.

Second of all, skool has his team and you have yours, this isnt some contest to say "oh dude, you suck right now, i cant believe your record sucks so much, let me show how its done so i can make you look like a dumb ass." you may not be saying this directly, but its my interpretation of the whole situation. Based on my interpretation, i should take over some other team that is doing poorly that i think should be doing well and just trade my team. No matter what you tell me, that isnt hockey, you dont see coaches switching teams mid season to take the challenge of a team that looks good on paper but sucks on ice. The day that happens, the day i will consider being ok with something like this.

Thirdly, i dont know what hockey you watch, but there are outrageous blowouts, you dont see it as much now and days since the game is lower scoring, but look back 15 years ago when 5 expansion teams joined the league in 3 years, there were blowouts every night because the talent base of the teams on the top level and those at the bottom were vastly different. Thats the way this league is, we have people of all levels of talents and thus there will be blowouts. Im tired of this sugar coated world you want to live in where people rarely get blown out so we can save some egos and people can sleep easier at night. People are going to get blown out, its a fact of life, if you dont think so go look at the scores, theres your facts right in your face. If you want parody, go make your own league so you can have your perfect world, take the league for what it is and accept it, if you dont want to, leave, no one is forcing you to play.

Fourthly, regarding mid season take overs. These are completly different situations, we arent like a minor league hockey system where if a team loses its players or cant pay its expenses, the arena locks them out, etc. where we will fold teams. It is a commonly accepted practice to allow coaches outside the league to take over vaccancies that have been created by people who have left the league or been kicked out. There is no precdent for switching teams mid-season and im not willing to sit here and let one be made because gr81 wnats to prove some theory of his right. If you want to prove your theory right then just play some exhibitions, you have your own team and thats the one you drafted, live with it.

Finally, i would like to say that skool did just fine with his team in the preseason, he is just in a little tough stretch that if he continues to work at it, im sure he will be able to get out of it and start finding some success. If he is allowed to trade teams with gr81 and then continues to struggle then what happens? does he trade yet again? this could just turn into one slippery slope if this is allowed to happen.

i really can't address all the points you made in your five paragraph essay, but all i can say is, you're taking this way too seriously. You really are. You compare it to a REAL LIFE hockey league, and are pretty much implying that winning hockey games is more important then having fun. NO ONE'S showing you blatant disrespect. And it's kinda sad that you would take offense to gr8 claiming its a f**king game (when in fact, it is, surprise, surprise) so quickly. I respect you as a player and as a person, but you take this video game, this league, and this matter way, way too seriously.

Again, I will state, that this is something gr8 insisted on. I didn't put him up to it, I didn't challenge him, I didn't hint at wanting to switch teams. Nor did he ask me if i wanted to. He convinced me that he would love to take on the team. I, at first, wanted to give him the team and just drop. But instead, we thought it'd be a better idea if i just take over his team. End of conversation. Also, switching again would be abusing the ability to do this. I wouldn't do it, CAUSE I WASN'T THE ONE WHO WANTED TO DO IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. AGAIN, i'm repeating myself. And it's frustrating. And dissappointing that people are so adamant about this. Are me and gr8 such a threat to everyone that they oppose us, POSSIBLY having a better record? Afraid of losing a game or two? Afraid that me playing with a different team will take away from your fun? Or is it not about fun anymore? Cause that's what it's looking like right now.

You compare it to a REAL LIFE hockey league, and are pretty much implying that winning hockey games is more important then having fun.

Sorry to disagree here, but winning hockey games, or trying to win hockey games is what makes this fun to some people. Competition = fun for me at least. I wouldn't want to be in a league that didn't take itself seriously.

I dont live by the creedo that winning is more important than having fun, im sorry you got that impression. All im saying is that without rules this league doesnt mean jack. If people are trading teams left and right for whatever reason in the middle of the season then i think there is a serious problem with the league. If this was the preseason and you two had come to this aggreement, i dont think i would have much problem at all with what was going on. But fooling with something like this mid-season just doesnt make sense to me.

Also if having fun is more important than winning to you, why would you agree to such a proposal? It doesnt make any real sense to me.

This is getting amusing, really. The issue to me looks to be quite simple actually. 1) people sign up for the draft league 2) rolling draft occurs 3) trading window is open 4) exhi's close and the season starts. Pretty sure all of the veterans know how this works. Switching teams once the season gets started should not be an option. Simple as that. All of the veterans should have known what they signed up for.

The irony in hearing "it's just an f'n game" and then turning around and saying "I think I'd like to switch" is funny. It's just a game right? One that you signed up for? Finish what you started.

I think i already stated my reason for doing this. But this all comes down to how serious the league is to be taken. I realize there are "rules" that must be followed or else, but i really don't see the harm in gr8 taking over my team. If other people agree to do so, than so be it. I think it's a rule that you need to commit to playing all 56 games, but i don't see that rule being enforced too much. People drop left and right, a lot more so than say the classic 94 league for example. It still stands as just a proposal. I'm not giving up the team, or chickening out of anything.

gr8t, I'm looking at the thread title which says "Can Me and Skool Switch Teams?" Looks to me that that was an open question you were posing to the community looking for feedback. Guys are just weighing in and replying with their responses to your question.

kind of funny how you say it was just a question that is being taken way too seriously.

I remember a certain someone telling me "dont tell me this cant be done" after i gave my opinion on an debateable question.

there was nothing forceful or demanding about that statement. i myself just want to know why people can drop whenever the f**k they want but this just CAN NOT be done. hokkeefan (i've said this before) left before the season and wanted in again really bad. Why should he have been let in again? Why couldn't he have just waited for next season? This is only debated because it MIGHT....POSSIBLY...affect someone's record.

To address your question skool, no one really likes it when people drop, but its a fact of life that people are going to drop out for whatever reason so we deal with the problem in whatever manner we can that is deemed best for the league. I agree with you that hokkeefans situation last season was unique, you would have to ask dmitry to get the true answer for that one. Trading teams straight up and having people replace people who are no longer in the leauge is like comparing apples and oranges from my perspective.

skool and gr8 should be banned from the league for life. how dare they!!! :)

im interested to see what will become of all of this. will skool take over detroit? will dmitry bodyslam the whole idea? will gr8 and skool ever find true love? is milk healthy for you? beware the drama that is nhl94 draft league message board buahahaha

lost somewhere in all of this is the fact that it just makes extra work for me and opens up a giant can of worms when other owners want to start changing teams midseason too. i hope you guys can both have fun and play competetively with the teams you've drafted.