NHL'94 Forums

Site Enhancement Suggestion

Hey Dmitri,

Is it possible to change the latest scores on the homepage to reflect the home team on the bottom? Just a preference. The detail of the game shiows the home team on the bottom like we see in real life box scores.

Currently the home team is on the top.

thanks man.

What is the algorithm for GWG? I could add the star points at the top. Will add these when I get some time.

In say a 5-3 game, it's the 4th goal by the winning team, regardless of the order the two teams scored in. At least.. i'm pretty sure that's it.

What is the algorithm for GWG? I could add the star points at the top. Will add these when I get some time.

Dude, i don't know an algorithm from an alligator :P

What smo said!

In say a 5-3 game, it's the 4th goal by the winning team, regardless of the order the two teams scored in. At least.. i'm pretty sure that's it.

with no knowledge of what the programmers had in mind for a GWG...... I am thinking that it should be pretty simple, like

1) consider the last time the game was tied

2) no lead changes can occur

3) the GWG was the 1st goal scored after 1 and 2

does the save state collect the necessary data for this?

edit) and in looking at this, step 2 is redudant. no lead changes can occur after the last tie score.

with no knowledge of what the programmers had in mind for a GWG...... I am thinking that it should be pretty simple, like

1) consider the last time the game was tied

2) no lead changes can occur

3) the GWG was the 1st goal scored after 1 and 2

does the save state collect the necessary data for this?

edit) and in looking at this, step 2 is redudant. no lead changes can occur after the last tie score.

Ok, since I'm not sure if this is right yet, I will wait. I always thought it was the other way.

yep, that's my understanding of it too.

so for a GWG...... it can be 4-1..... and if the losing team scores 2 more goals, the 4th goal by the winning team was the GWG?

GWG are stats the nhl takes... is that how they do it?

Right. If the game is 4-3, then the 4th goal is the winner, no matter what order the goals were scored in. 99% sure that's it.

I guess the way that would have to be implemented would be to fill up a couple arrays with the home goal scorers and away goal scorers from the Scoring Summary in the savefile, then if the game is say 4-2, take the 3rd goal from the winning team. It's not a trivial thing to add, since it'll take some new columns in some database tables.

I wonder how Game Tieing Goals work? Is it both players who score the final goals, or just the player who scored the last goal of the game?

Oh, guess who was 2nd in GWG this season? Jeremy Roenick, with 10 GWG. He only scored 14 goals.. 71% of his goals were game winners.. talk about clutch. Ovechkin had 11 GWG on 65 goals.

Right. If the game is 4-3, then the 4th goal is the winner, no matter what order the goals were scored in. 99% sure that's it.

I guess the way that would have to be implemented would be to fill up a couple arrays with the home goal scorers and away goal scorers from the Scoring Summary in the savefile, then if the game is say 4-2, take the 3rd goal from the winning team. It's not a trivial thing to add, since it'll take some new columns in some database tables.

I wonder how Game Tieing Goals work? Is it both players who score the final goals, or just the player who scored the last goal of the game?

Oh, guess who was 2nd in GWG this season? Jeremy Roenick, with 10 GWG. He only scored 14 goals.. 71% of his goals were game winners.. talk about clutch. Ovechkin had 11 GWG on 65 goals.

Thanks for the explanation, I learned something new today.

But yea... that would be easy to find who scored the GWG. Going off of what you said, smoz, if you have an array for Home Goal Scorers, and one for Away..... then you can reduce the array of the winning team array to the size of the losing team array +1. The last goal scorer in the array is the GWG scorer.

Now I know I can program that in something like C or Java..... but I have no clue how the interface works for save state files for a Gens game. Would something like that work?

I think the best way to implement this would be to calculate the GWG when the game is uploaded and just have another column for it in the database. That shouldn't be too hard once we figure out the algorithm (or alligator). I could write something else to figure out all of the old GWGs and update them all at once.

So what is the verdict?

Last guy to score.

I think the best way to implement this would be to calculate the GWG when the game is uploaded and just have another column for it in the database. That shouldn't be too hard once we figure out the algorithm (or alligator). I could write something else to figure out all of the old GWGs and update them all at once.

So what is the verdict?

The verdict is yes :blink:

Ya its deff the goal that gives the team the +1 advantage.

once you figure out that, could you add the # of GWGs each player has on the team page? that would be nice to know who on whose team is clutch and who is just a goal whore when it is out of reach

Ya its deff the goal that gives the team the +1 advantage.

once you figure out that, could you add the # of GWGs each player has on the team page? that would be nice to know who on whose team is clutch and who is just a goal whore when it is out of reach

i put it on the front page in the recent games to test it before i do anything else. does it look right?

i put it on the front page in the recent games to test it before i do anything else. does it look right?

I found them all to be correct. That was pretty quick, nice!

There were not tie games to test the tie game case, though.

Oh, does the recent games list show if a game went to OT?

I noticed a bug in the team.asp page -- the players are sorted by Assists, not Points, by default

Shooting % is up now, too :blink: Can you make it a %, though? just multiply by 100 and show just 1 decimal.

I noticed a bug in the team.asp page -- the players are sorted by Assists, not Points, by default

Shooting % is up now, too :blink: Can you make it a %, though? just multiply by 100 and show just 1 decimal.

ok changed those.

I don't remember if the recent scores show overtime. I made tie games not return a GWG, but haven't tested it. Also these aren't going into the database yet just being calculated on the fly to make sure i'm doing it right.

ok changed those.

I don't remember if the recent scores show overtime. I made tie games not return a GWG, but haven't tested it. Also these aren't going into the database yet just being calculated on the fly to make sure i'm doing it right.

coo'

While we're all (read: I'm) chasing you around for more features..

I'd find these interesting in the team/user stats, if you already have them being stored in the DB:

OTL

PTS

PTS% ( (2*W + OTL + T)/GP )

SHG shorthanded goals

SHGA shorthanded goals against

PPGA powerplay goals against

ST% special teams success (PP%+PK%)

B% breakaway success percentage

1T% onetimer success percent

F% faceoff % (FW/(FW+FL))

bodycheck ratio (BCF/BCA) (i don't know what the abbreviation would be..)

P1G period 1 goals, as a % (P1G/(P1G+P2G+P3G)) (ignore OT goals)

P2G period 2 goals, as a %

P3G period 3 goals, as a %

coo'

While we're all (read: I'm) chasing you around for more features..

I'd find these interesting in the team/user stats, if you already have them being stored in the DB:

OTL

PTS

PTS% ( (2*W + OTL + T)/GP )

SHG shorthanded goals

SHGA shorthanded goals against

PPGA powerplay goals against

ST% special teams success (PP%+PK%)

B% breakaway success percentage

1T% onetimer success percent

F% faceoff % (FW/(FW+FL))

bodycheck ratio (BCF/BCA) (i don't know what the abbreviation would be..)

P1G period 1 goals, as a % (P1G/(P1G+P2G+P3G)) (ignore OT goals)

P2G period 2 goals, as a %

P3G period 3 goals, as a %

added all of this

is that pts % right? some of them are over 200%