NHL'94 Forums

Rivalries Poll Question

NHL Rivalries  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which Is The Following You Is The Best NHL Rivalry Of All Time?

• Detroit Red Wings/Colorado Avalanche
    • Edmonton Oilers/Calgary Flames
    • Montreal Canadiens/Toronto Maple Leafs
    • New York Rangers/New York Islanders
    • Philadelphia Flyers/Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Detroit Red Wings/St. Louis Blues
    • Los Angeles Kings/San Jose Sharks
    • Philadelphia Flyers/Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Pittsburgh Penguins/Washington Capitals
    • New Jersey Devils/New Yourk Rangers
    • Montreal Canadiens/Boston Bruins
    • Quebec Nordiques/Montreal Canadiens
    • Boston Bruins/Hartford Whalers
    • Detroit Red Wings/Chicago Blackhawks
    • Florida Panthers/Tampa Bay Lightning
    • Calgary Flames/Vancouver Canucks
    • Buffalo Sabres/Philadelphia Flyers
    • Detroit Red Wings/Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Los Angeles Kings/Edmonton Oilers
    • Ottawa Senators/Toronto Maple Leafs

I would say the Red Wings/Avalanche rivalry is the equivalent of the Cowboys/49ers rivalry in the NFL. It was explosive and entretaining in the time they were good. The key difference is that Detroit is still a good team and Colorado has been teeetering around the brink and it doesn't have the same pizzazz as it did in the late 1990s.

Great poll! Historically, Leafs-Habs would have to be #1. but, the way I interpret it, it's the best rivalry of all-time from any point in history. So, having said that, I have to say Kings/Oilers.

Edited by PRoBob38

montreal quebec obviously.

Would've been nice to see Kansas City/California included but it's a good list.

Tough call between habs/leafs and habs/bruins....I might give a slight edge to habs/bruins since they have met over 30 times in the playoffs.

But since stepher allowed this poll to vote as many times as you wanted...I picked some of my fav rivalries.

I'd love to say Penguins-Capitals, except it's hardly a rivalry. They never beat us when it matters. Just like Steelers-Browns.

That's what they first said about the Colts-Patriots. Give it time, and it'll get hot. :)

We have like the fifth longest drought. If we had like first or second I would understand you making fun about it but Toronto, Buffalo, Washington, and LA are worse off.

Or I could just make fun of all of them and make it fair... though I don't really care about Toronto or LA. Buffalo and Washington fans get the same treatment from me though, don't worry! ;)

I would say the Red Wings/Avalanche rivalry is the equivalent of the Cowboys/49ers rivalry in the NFL. It was explosive and entretaining in the time they were good. The key difference is that Detroit is still a good team and Colorado has been teeetering around the brink and it doesn't have the same pizzazz as it did in the late 1990s.

Agreed - I actually got a cheap book for an airplane flight on this rivalry called Blood Fued. Very entertaining recalls of behind the scenes stuff of coaches, players, etc, of things that went on the ice (claude lemieux hit on draper) and off (hallways and locker room altercations/word exchanges). Much more heated than I orginally thought, bunchapes.

Edited by kupuck19