NHL'94 Forums

Ninety Flow 2013-2014

trudatman

9clo.png

I am always seeking help and corrections and comments; if something seems wrong, please report it to me. if you want to see your player more clearly, you can activate the multitap option and use the shadow colors from the other end of the visible spectrum. have fun.

---

if you don't agree to every term that follows below, don't download a copy.
[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use
[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use
[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own

this file is outdated. the most recent Ninety Flow ROM can be found by clicking on my signature.

the file was updated on November 10th, 2013. if you downloaded a copy before then, get this one to replace it: NinetyFlow2013-2014.smc

---

aside from critiques, criticisms, comments and corrections, I'm hoping to get help with:

-changing fatigue and rest rates

-setting player card pictures to match handednesses
-remove uniform colors from stopping snowspray
-getting the team in the West Stars slot to show correctly in the playoffs brackets
-expansion of roster space
-expansion to 30 teams
-getting goalies freed to roam further
-replacing outdated center ice images with invisible, generic or new images
-addition of one space between initial and name in game stars popup, statistics lists
-removal of logos and copyrights
-having a flashing popup after goals and in last two minutes instead of the constant scoreboard overlay
-adding more selectable options when changing lines
-having a time clock with real speed instead of the fast ticking

if you can help me make this thing better, please volunteer your services. if this ROM can help you develop your skills/projects, please use it in any way that you see fit, short of pulling a profit.

---

unless you are a gaming-with-a-keyboard master, you'll want to use a gamepad, or this game will be quite difficult to operate. here are the controls, based on the standard SNES controller:
control.jpg
L = left defenseman control
R = right defenseman control
u, l, r, d = up, left, right, down directional movement
X = goaltender control
Y = dive, stand up, flip toss, hook, hold, vogue
A = stack pads, skate, check, shoot, kill
B = pass, player selection, poke check, steal, trip
s = line change
S = start, menu

---

NinetyFlow2013-2014 is available for the purpose of preservation and archival reproduction and is protected under ruling 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 11/27/06. the administratively created anti-circumvention exemption amendment is applicable to this file as stated in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act H.R. 2281: "computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. a format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace." the hardware required to operate NinetyFlow2013-2014 and its technology have been obsolete and commercially unavailable for well over a decade. the cessation of development and production of said obsolete hardware indisputably aligns NinetyFlow2013-2014 with the anti-circumvention exemption amendment.

Edited by trudatman

there are medium-sized shadows under each player. blue, green, yellow, orange and red are players one through five. there are no arrows, stars nor numbers on the playing surface.

oh, and I forgot to mention that most ratings are from last season with some additions and adjustments, but a full adjustment of stats/ratings will come after a much more statistically relevant number of games has been played this season. the next major update will probably be soon after the trade deadline.

Edited by trudatman

Thx alot for making it. Gotta echo the whole "I'd enjoy this more if I knew who I was" thing. It's manageable, but there were, for my taste, too many moments in which I ended up making a play with the wrong guy because I didn't realize which one I'd selected. How do you figure out player ratings?

Edit: Went in as 2nd player, much better.

Edited by nightonthesun

try the fifth player.

overall player ratings were intended to be heavily weighted by plus-minus divided by total time on ice. shooting, pass bias and reputation ratings are converted from the player's statistics (mostly last season's). speed, agility and shot power ratings were gathered from knowledgeable persons for almost every player/team and adjusted to generally hold leaguewide as comparable and scaled (these are probably the ratings that could use the most adjustment, as many of them are from several years ago -- everybody is always free and encouraged to suggest changes, especially for speed and shot power). checking and awarenesses (and passing ratings, to some extent) were used to give variety and align the overall ratings. it's a weird system, but I insist that it works. I put a lot of time into generating ratings and I also play a lot of games with whatever my newest ROM is at the time. I very much believe that this method would give the best simulations if you tried to get customized ROMs to generate stats to be compiled like a regular season. players seem to have personality. those lazy (low awareness) players usually still have skills and don't seem flounder too badly when they have the puck or you are skating with them because you are controlling them and their skills take over. thanks for playing.

please reply with any further comments/questions/complaints/critiques/etc.

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't received any corrections since this went up. surely lots of trades/calls up and the likes have occurred and I'll get to that stuff again right after the trade deadline, but I was expecting some folks to find more spelling/weight/handedness/jersey number errors and the likes. I guess the intense review this thing got from one diligent betatester caught (almost) everything, but if you see something that isn't right, please do let me know.

• 1 month later...

lots of downloads, very few comments...

the next real work from me will probably come right at the trade deadline. in the meantime, I'm seeking partners/assistants/contracted workers to help with stuff I am not capable of.

I'm still hoping to get help with:

-changing fatigue and rest rates (doable)

-setting player card pictures to match handednesses (probably possible)
-remove uniform colors from stopping snowspray (probably possible)
-getting the team in the West Stars slot to show correctly in the playoffs brackets (probably possible)
-expansion of roster space (very much achievable, I just can't figure it out)
-expansion to 30 teams (probably not happening)
-getting goalies freed to roam further (should be doable for those good at analyzing ROMs functionality)
-replacing outdated center ice images with invisible, generic or new images (seems possible)
-addition of one space between initial and name in game stars popup, statistics lists (minor)
-removal of logos and copyrights (would be cool)
-having a flashing popup after goals and in last two minutes instead of the constant scoreboard overlay (would be really cool)
-adding more selectable options when changing lines (a fourth line in regular play would be amazing)
-having a time clock with real speed instead of the fast ticking (probably not really possible without screwing other stuff up)

Edited by trudatman

• 3 weeks later...

Two questions regarding the indicators and graphics in general. My main PC with Windows is kaputt now and I got only notebook with Linux here so I cant try it myself, stattos editor doesnt work in WINE (Linux application to run Windows applications) for me.

If you have problems with having no indicators at all and you want to play trudatman's rom with the indicators in it, does this way to put them back work?

Can someone try please, it takes only few secs.

1. Put the original NHL 94 rom and trudatman's rom in the folder with the editor executable file.

2. Open the smc file (trudatman's rom) in the editor.

2. Now save it - overwrite the original NHL 94 rom.

If the emulator imports/exports only the players/team/playoffs/menu settings data and not the graphics, you should have the original NHL 94 rom with unchanged graphics but with all the data from trudatman.

Dont you think removing the star indicators make the players turning faster? Or its just the placebo effect?

Edited by DominikJagr

no and no.

I use DarWine on my Mac 10.4.11. I use TileLayerPro to edit graphics. you could open both mine and the original to add graphics back. you'd match up the spot that the icons are in. you'd use the + and - keys near the P on the keyboard to line the images up. each one must be done separately. it's not too tough.

no and no.

I use DarWine on my Mac 10.4.11. I use TileLayerPro to edit graphics. you could open both mine and the original to add graphics back. you'd match up the spot that the icons are in. you'd use the + and - keys near the P on the keyboard to line the images up. each one must be done separately. it's not too tough.

Sure, I know that another utility is used to edit graphics and not the statto's editor. The point is in importing/extracting data. If statto's editor extracts only the palyers/teams/menu/playoffs data and then importing them to the rom, should be possible (or not) to extract the data from your rom and then import them to the original rom. Or vice versa, extract the data from original ROM and import them to your rom.

With data I mean everything that is editable in the statto's editor, not all the game's data.

Edited by DominikJagr

the editor doesn't do transfers from one ROM to another, it just allows you to easily make certain changes to the original ROM (or custom ROMs that haven't broken the formatting of the original). transferring chunks of mine into the original would most easily be done with a hex editor. I use Hex Fiend and Hex0xED (or something similar, I forget the exact name). if you grabbed the rosters section from mine and dropped it into the original where the classic rosters are, you might still run into problems with lines and maybe even changed pointer issues. the easiest way to take from mine would probably just be having two editor windows open and copying slowly. that or just use mine and make changes from there. if you just want to add icons, it's pretty easy in TileLayerPro. you'd find the part of the ROM images (mine and the original) shown below and adjust them with the plus and minus buttons next to the zero on a standard keyboard. you'd do one at a time, making sure you have both ROMs aligned to where the original shows the whole tile. the "whole" tile is actually about half of the full image under the player because it uses the shown part and a mirror image of it for the rest. it's not too hard. get some sort of (Dar)Wine program running to use the editor. get TileLayerPro (or Tile Molester) going. get a Hex editor functional and you should be good to go. you are well-schooled in trial and error, so I think you can handle making this work. most everything i know how to do is listed in the ROM mapping thread. there is also some stuff I don't get (yet) that i'd love help with, namely roster expansion. I already use initials to get ANA and FLA to hold enough players, but I'd like to use full names and substitutes, too. if you figure any of that out, please let me know. I think the other two guys who have most recently done ROM hacks are retired form it. I'll be doing an update after the trade deadline and I'm excited at the potential of having you assist, directly or by proxy. please stick around and stay active!

uselesspicture.png

Edited by trudatman

I tried it on my retro PC. It is not possible to do what I was talking about.

The editor rewrites data on the ROM that is opened in the editor. I was hoping it only exports/transfers parts of the ROM (all the data which are editable in the editor) and leaves the rest unchanged.

It works like this:

graphics-->graphics

rosters, lines, playoffs, menu, team names-->edited rosters, lines, playoffs, menu, team names

other data-->other data

and not like this:

graphics

rosters, lines, playoffs, menu, team names-->edited rosters, lines, playoffs, menu, team names

other data

And TLP works in the same way, not possible to export only graphics.

That's very new to me, all the editors or various utilites I used in the past on various platforms (mainly PC and Amiga) always imported/exported certain files/data, not all the files/data.

-----

I checked that mapping thread (great thread and great info there!) and already tried something yesterday. Just something minimal and I was surprised it was easier than I had expected. There was some result. Seemed promising.....but if noone, especially some more skilled people, hasnt figured out anything in years, I am having maybe unrealistic expectations. Will see during next few days.

I am surprised there is no more people around in the SNES subforums, but maybe its general lack of interest to post in the winter, other parts of the forum seem not to be very active either.

I'll definitely stay active :)

it's that there aren't any interested SNES parties, it's that there aren't any active SNES hackers. we need to work together out of necessity. I've tried to draw others in, as you've seen, but so far it's been hard to attract other hackers to this place.

• 3 weeks later...

the trade deadline is 3/5/14. major ratings/rosters/lines work will happen around then. now is the time to work out other stuff. I'm considering changing the major penalties into double minors. what else can/should I/we do? hop over the boards. let's do this thing.

• 2 weeks later...

work on an update is well underway. I would love it if somebody wanted to help expand the ANA/FLA rosters, as I have yet to figure that out. I've been considering tweeking the nets to make them appear to be thinner. I'd probably just reduce the thickness of the top part that the water bottle sits on. does anybody care if the five-minute major penalties get bumped down to four? anybody feel like putting in the work to find out if we can show the generic logo -- or no logo -- for the ice in outdated cities? I'm always looking for betatesters to review roster details and ratings. please let me know if you'd like to assist in any way with anything we can/should do.

Expanded rosters are beyond my skills, just do not know what to do, here I am not going to be much of help.

Ice logos, menu logos and other stuff are on my NHL 94 want-to-do list, this list is pretty long (there are around 15 things I want to experiment with). I got an idea what to do and after short test I made week or two weeks ago I can say something can be done but can't promise anything now. To be 100% sure I need at least a full weekend for working on it and I have been unfortunately very busy last weeks.

I am extremely curious about the result but just cant to test it now, my real life duties are priorities now <_<

what are you testing? you have me curious.

I've been making progress on an update with some nice changes. nothing major, but I expect the next one to be the best yet. on pace for a post-deadline release.

Edited by trudatman

what are you testing? you have me curious.

Nothinig right now, but very soon with menu and ice logos and few other things :)

I am not that busy in RL now, I will start next weekend probably and my results will be posted during March I suppose.

I'm aiming for a release of the next update in the first week of March. get to it so I can use any of your findings!

94 downloads from here right now... there's something about that number....

Truedatman, using TLP, whereabouts in the ROM are the stars and shadow located? I want to put them back into your ROM for my own purposes, but I couldn't see in the original ROM where the star exists...just need to know about how far to scroll...

and also see this: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/15826-ninety-flow-2013-2014/?p=135269

be careful. you'll want to have mine and the original both open, lined up at all times and scroll through a few full rounds with the "+" and "-" keys above the "P" on your keyboard to line the tiles up individually with themselves for editing. you want the image (and not the negative image -- be careful) to be as perfectly aligned before you edit it. when you are done with one, line up the next. the grid isn't perfect, so keep in mind that you are limited to the rectangle of where the star originally was, being a bit shorter/taller/wider/thinner than a grid square. don't go outside the imaginary lines. if you misplace an edit, you risk crashing your ROM. save separate files often. I'd be willing to walk you through it over the phone. is isn't exactly easy, but it's not too hard, either. if you add the stars back in, share that file before you change other stuff! I'd love to see versions along the way and plenty of other would like my hack with the stars back in.

Edited by trudatman

new netting to resemble the new dimensions:

newhighnet.png

newlownet.png

waiting for the rest of the traded players to be assigned numbers and for teams to set new lines. should have a 2014 release by Monday. now is the time to influence it, so have your say and/or offer your help.

waiting for the rest of the traded players to be assigned numbers and for teams to set new lines. should have a 2014 release by Monday. now is the time to influence it, so have your say and/or offer your help.

I might be able to help out again. I play inline Friday night and ice Sunday night, but Sat night I think I am free. My nights are your mornings as I am in Asia. Looking forward to having St. Louis and Nash available for my NYR. Lemme know if you need anything.

sweet! I'll get you a file as soon as I have lines set. thanks!

forget this thread. see the newer one.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?/topic/16106-ninety-flow-2014/

Edited by trudatman