NHL'94 Forums

Puck Dynasty Season One ending (a jammed packed thread of fun)

Congrats to the Super Buds Cup Champion BobKudelski. A
Dynasty title to add to his Classic title. A game 7 OT finisher!

Congrats to Mama’s Cup Champion Fank009….for basically
winning his own cup. J
A bunch of us watched FankTV online to see him come back against blackdevil
after being down 4-1 in game1 and 2 and winning 5-4. The second game comeback
came later in the third period. Fun times indeed.

While I didn’t play this season, it was enjoyable to follow
along. This was the first SNES season for GENS buds brutuskhan and jackandjose.
Brutus finished above .500 in his first season! And despite finishing with a
10-46 record, Jackandjose used Chris Terreri to recrd the second highest save
percentage of all goalies at .683. Just a hair behind Roy at .685.

BoknowsNHL94 paid the most money for one player in Alex Mogilny, and it was
worth every penny. He ran away with the goal scoring record (181 in 56 games) and edged out Lemieux
for overall scoring.(237 points)

Fank Tv was born. Fank would broadcast his games online and
commentate while he was playing. I enjoyed his opening season preview that he
co-hosted with jbalicki ( the super dude). “KAMENSKY”!

Liked having the Soviet Video Blog. Kashim’s posted a ton of
video of his games. (Side note, he also completed the Sochi rom….check it out!)

Shout out to Schmeev who started out with something like
0-24 I think…but kept givner and picked up 8 wins before he was all done. Those
are the buds we want playing.

The chat in the superbuds group on aim was some comedy gold
as well. The above names contributing along with Northway and Annatar etc. Hilarious!

Big thanks again to c4outlaws who spent the time to build the rom!

We only had to make one change this season. Pretty solid for
a group of 15 players. Chaos came in and filled in admirably to finish off the
season. He’s a great bud like that.

The excitement went right down to the last game of the
season between Jonee and pondhcky. There were playoff seeds still to be
determined from that one final game.

And thanks to all of you. AN ENTIRE SEASON COMPLETED! Not
one game missed. No forfeits. No DNPS. This is a rare feat for any online league

And Finally for Next Season. It will take place sometime
around November/December. I’m taking a break from 94 for a while to focus more
on the book learning.

Some things on the table for next season:

1.Penalties to stay or go? Some like it off, some don’t. An
argument against it is losing your best player after being knocked out with no
repercussion for the other team. I don’t mind penalties on but I always thought
two minutes was excessive for a 5 minute period. I might be willing to put them
back in but I’d rather see the penalty reduced to 1 minute (assuming that it
can be hacked that way….c4 or kashim might have an answer on this).

2.I’m not sure if I will bother with trades. I think after

coaches have signed their players that they wanted anyways making trades seem
unlikely (there were no trades this season).

3.Dropping players.
I don’t mind if someone were to drop a player but I think there has to
be a repercussion. I may have to amend the rule on this. Either the full amount
of the player’s salary for the remainder of his contract goes against your cap…or
just half of his salary amount.

Here’s your cap room leading into next season.

Thanks again…it was fun….and maybe I’ll join in and play for season 2.

Really fun season. I will post a bit of recap when I have a chance, but congrats to Bob again. That was one of the best series I've been involved in even if it ended in heartbreak for me.

Really impressed with everyone getting their games in and generally being awesome buds. Everyone give yourself a pat on the back!

Much respect to hali, chaos, c4 and anyone else who was involved in setting this up, making it run smoothly, and giving us all a place to play.

As for the issues on the table.

1. I would vote for penalties ON because pens off nerfs the poke check and it changes the way a lot of people play d. Also would be nice to penalize ramming the goalie but that's less important. No real opinion on 1 vs. 2 minute penalties.

2. I didn't bother trying to make trades but no harm in leaving the option there in case someone wants to I guess?

3. Not sure how dropping players is going to play out. Need to look at it a bit more.

Edited by annatar

Thank you hali! Great league. Seeing every player complete a 56 game season is just awesome. Having a bunch of us all watching the Fank/BD mama's cup games live to cap off the season was a perfect ending.

I wanted to do a Dynasty Season 1 recap thread but I'll just throw a quick one in here. Some end of the year awards:

Individual Leaders
Most points: Mogilny (boknows) 237, Lemieux (annatar) was hot on his heels with 233
Most goals: Mogilny (boknows) 181 - holy s**t. 48% of his shots went in and he led the league with 377 of them.
Most assists: TIE - Ridley (annatar) and Sanderson (Northway) with 99

Lowest GAA (Minimum 50 games) - Roy (Northway) 3.11 also led league in save % with .685
Most assists by goalie - Vanbiesbrook (jbalicki) 38 Beezer the playmaker.

Individual Award Winners
Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP) Mogilny (boknows) Led the league in goals, points, shots on goal, and was 2nd in shooting %
Conn Smythe Trophy (Playoff MVP) Neely (bobkudelski) Lemieux put up the most points in the playoffs (59) but Neely was the hero with 3 consecutive goals (including the cup-clincher in OT) in the championship game 7.
Art Ross Trophy (Most points) Mogilny (boknows)
Vezina Trophy (Best Goalie) Roy (Northway) Led the league in GAA, save %, and wins (45)
James Norris Memorial Trophy (Best Defenseman) Chelios (Northway) Led all defenseman in goals (39), assists (64) and total points (103).
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (Best Sportsmanship/Gentlemanly Conduct) Link Gaetz (Schmeev)
Jack Adams Award (Best Coach) Fank (Birmingham)

Team Award Winners
Most goals - Denver (372) Houston (350) Indianapolis (349)
Fewest goals against - Denver (175) Houston (191) Ott Civics (198)
Most Points - Denver (90) Houston (86) Indianapolis (82)
Best Home Record - Denver (25-3)
Best Away Record - Ott Civics (22-6)
Most Improved Bud - Kashim (Soviet) After going 11-29 in fall classic A2, he went 31-24 in the even more competitive Dynasty league. Nice work!

Most Impressive Gens Bud - Brutus (Michigan) Transitioning from Gens to Snes is like going from rollerblades to ice skates. Brutus put up a highly respectable record of 31-24 in his first Snes season!

Dynasty Season 1 Champion - Bobkudelski26 (Ott Civics) Bob came into the playoffs as a 4th seed and upset the #1 and #2 seeds in a row. Awesome stuff. Congrats Bob and runner-up annatar!

Dynasty Season 1 Mama's Donuts Cup Champion - Fank009 (Birmingham) Broadcast LIVE on FankTV™, Fank took out BlackDevil19 (Czech) in a hotly contested series. Congrats Fank and Black D!

That's all I've got, thanks everybody for the awesome season.

I'm in favor of penalties ON (same reasons as annatar) and wouldn't mind trying out 1 minute penalties.

Edited by NorthwayNative

Yeah penalty should be on because of the tremendous holdings (intentionally or just the CPU i dont know) are driving me crazy.

Plus maybe there should be line changes like in nhl93 league (SC1 and CHK the 1st line, SC2 is the 2nd) so it brings more tactics into the game ;)

And thanks for the award :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Edited by Kashim

Unfortunately even with penalties on the refs don't do a very good job of calling the holding/hooking.

Other than the weird effect on tripping, I also like the dose of chaos penalties inject. And I don't think being shorthanded is a massive disadvantage.

Nice recap Northway, I laughed at the Link Gaetz shoutout.

Great season by all. Impressive that all the games were completed.

Thank you to the organizers, Hali and C4 and Chaos for stepping in too.

Thanks to Northway for writing up the awards.

Thanks to all the other coaches. Classy bunch of guys.

Some comments on the 3 items of discussion:

1. Penalties - I liked the penalties off. In fact, I drafted my team to be more aggressive since this was a penalties off league. I don't agree with changing things after just one season. I think Bo said something along the same lines. I don't really like the random penalties that are given out for bodychecks (eg: crosschecking, roughing), and if you don't like losing your best player, try not to let him get destroyed. Aren't we all trying to deliver massive bodychecks? Why should we be punished for delivering a nice hit?

That being said, if it's what the majority of people want, then I'm fine with it. If 1 minute penalties is possible, that might be a nice compromise.

2. Trades - don't care either way

3.Dropping players - if you drop a player, I think his full salary should still count against your cap. You had a choice how much to pay him and how many years to sign him for, and made the commitment at that salary.

Edited by Bob Kudelski

My thoughts on everything

1- Pens on. yeah the AI can be stupid at times, but it's all about discipline, I shouldnt be allowed to ram into the goalie 15 times a game, that's just my feel of it, and doing what I want when I want is sometimes a good idea. I do think that AI pens should be taken out... (except int, you can force some great int pens) but keep them at 2 minutes. (besides, My team is built for pens on. :P)

2- Have trades, have them before any bidding. because after bidding everyone is just happy with that they have. maybe have some salary cap trades? (for example Jagr for mario and 10 million... (going to the coach, not the player.)

3- Bob K does have a point? but due to the debacle last season, and players not being punished for unwise picks... 25% penalty (rounded up) at the most imo.

4- For the drafting process I feel there should be a few rules in place...

-You can only start half of the amount of spots you have available. (rounded up)

-you can only bid on players you have in your space +2 (+2 for leeway otherwise everyone would go relatively cheaply...)

-If you go over your player limit... you can choose who to sit out (instead of everyone else being chucked on the pile.)

^just an idea for the next draft.

Great season, everyone! Had me an excellent time with the hockeys and the playins and all that other stuff! Thanks for the shoutouts and awards, I don't got anything to give to OTHER people, but I do have the 5 highlights of my team's season, because why not?

Up first, we have nothing too special. The Great One pulling out all the stops, using the force, dark magic, whatever he has to avoid All-Star Goalie G. Post.

Alright, right here we got something a little more impressive. Jagr rolls up on goal with some magic of his own, sending a puck straight through 2 defending players for a goal. No players were harmed in this play, leaving commentators speechless.

Before we get to the top goal for the Cowboys (and arguably THE goal of the season), we have 2 plays that exemplify the playing that this team is known for.

Here we have Link Gaetz finishing the job like a true pro. This statement is of my own accord and NOT under threat of bodily harm from Mr. Gaetz.

Oh, this one. We got Jagr having no clue what the hell he's doing, assaulting Grant Fuhr, and ultimately giving up a goal. Never change, Jagr.

Now it's time for the goal I've been building up to. The single most amazing feat I've seen in this hockey season, making up for any screwups he may have made, goes to Link Gaetz. Just watch.

/\Whoops, messed this up the first time.

That's all I got, ladies and gents. Hope you enjoy, and see you next season.

P.S. I'm all for keeping penalties off, otherwise my entire defense will end up stuffed in the box because aggression.

Edited by Schmeev

My thoughts:

1. Penalties off, it made the league unique.

I will say if you can figure out 1 minute penalties then that might be a decent compromise. Or even better, 1 minute penalties except for interference turned off because those penalties are bunk, bud. (oh, and if you are working on figuring out that stuff maybe somebody could figure out how to turn off that lame glitch where you get a penalty shot even tho penalties are turned off. Not sure if that's possible tho and I know nothing about it :))

2. I'd let trades be on for now, but you can only trade players you've got on contract. No signing a guy then trading him. That's too messy.

3. I don't know/care because I'm not dropping anybody. So whatever you decide is gravy bud.

I bid on all my players during the auction for penalties off, figuring the need to use the C check over the B check, and think it was one of the reasons I did well given my lack of SNES experience, imo. My team was big & fast.

In my limited SNES exhibs for Classic, I actually HATE getting rammed by the goalie & given a penalty. It's WAY WAY more common than the opposite thing that Fank alludes to, which does happen, especially by my team, where we LIVE in the goalie's crease, attacking & ramming away!! Still, even as odd as it is to see the offense attacking the goalie, it's LESS ODD than the goalie running around & knocking the sh&t out of the other team & giving them 2 minute penalties.

For me, if you put penalties on w/ 0 seconds, it's a great compromise. What most guys want is to be able to B Check, and ramming the goalie at least causes a stop in play, and gives the chance of a 6 on 5 until the puck is re-captured. I've played a version like this on Gens, and it was fun.

5 minute periods w/ 2 minute penalties is beyond gay anyway. I think even 1 minute is too long, especially given most just want to use B check or not reward the goalie ram. My vote is to leave it OFF, but if you put penalties on, I would then vote 0 seconds, or 30 seconds, and anything over that, I am throwing my arms up in revolt!!!

As for trading, I like Fank's cap trade idea, so you can move a player & some cap. Unfortunately, I do believe that for at least HALF of the league, based on their auction issues w/ the cap, this would probably cause additional chaos. If everyone is for it, and trades like this subject to league approval, I'd be in for it. But, would be wary of causing more turmoil.

And, for cutting players, I believe that 50% that season cap hit for the 1st season is cool. I do not agree w/ the 25% idea, but I would be Ok w/ not having to hit them 50% every season. If you wanted to penalize the duration of the contract, maybe 50% first season and then 10% each one after that. But my vote would be 50% that season only.

However, if you implemented Fank's cap trading, then I would think you do the 50% per season penalty as it gives legit value to salary cap trades.

Thanks a million to you guys for letting me join the Darkside for a season. I had fun. Congrats to Big Bob & Little Fank on their titles.

Completely off this topic, but any idea when bidding will begin on new 94 buds (Potvin, Teemu etc) and free agent buds?

In the fall Bud...around november ish.

I have attempted numerous times to change the penalty length to 1 minute but havent been able to. Trudatman also has taken a quick look and havent figured it out either.

k thanks....I will scrap that as an option.