NHL'94 Forums

Gens Shootout Glitch

aqualizard

I am trying to practice up in prep for the CLassic League. I am using the Gens that came with the zip, and a Buffalo USB controller, which I don't like much, but it is better than the keyboard.

I configured the controller successfully, and have played a few practice games against CPU. I wanted to try some of those pass shots I have been hearing about, so swticed to shootout mode. Trouble!

As soon as I setup shootout mode, and begin, right when I try to skate, the ROM does a soft reset. When I set it up again, and tried other controller buttons, like pass or shoot instead of moving, again as soon as my guy is shown on the ice and I press a button, soft reset.

I re-did configuring the same controller, and the same problem occurs.

Anyone have any ideas? If I don't master pass shots and CB checks I know I can never win a game. ;)

Cheers,
aqua

Edited by aqualizard

Never heard of this, but it definitely sounds like you have the "tab" button (reset) set to one of your controller buttons.

FYI, KGman never uses pass shots and doesn't CB check and he won KO94. I still think they're useful tools to learn, but you can do just fine without them. ;)

Never heard of this, but it definitely sounds like you have the "tab" button (reset) set to one of your controller buttons.

FYI, KGman never uses pass shots and doesn't CB check and he won KO94. I still think they're useful tools to learn, but you can do just fine without them. ;)

He does dabble in CB check . He did it in our GDL leaguers a few times just not proficient at it yet

Thaknks for the replies, guys.

But if that was the case, soft resets would be happening when I played regular games too, not just for shootouts?

Best way to practice pass shot is with 1on1 ROM. After winning faceoff in two player mode hit save state and then keep reloading it for endless breakaways.

Ok. So where is this 1 on 1 ROM? You have a link?

Thank God! My head exploded when I read smozoma's explanation! :|

Thanks a lot!

Edited by aqualizard

I love this!

Mostly because it gives me hope.

It is also how we coach here in real life.

We run the old fashioned wing-t offense and we run 4 base plays really well.

We play a base 4-3 defense without much blitzing or gimmicks.

I am glad to see that KGman proved this could work in NHL94 also.

Oh and we do quite well.

Edited by CoachMac

Even if you don't master the pass shots, as a novice in doing them there is value in knowing what it takes to set them up and which ones are possible. Then you can learn how to defend it especially if you are going to play in a season.

When someone in a league first did that to me my head exploded. WTF was it that just happened!?! So yeah...