NHL'94 Forums

NHL 2024 ['94] by JKline3 and von Ozbourne

von Ozbourne

I am indeed still alive, hockey season is just an extremely busy time of year for me. Been in the lab working on another unfinished project and also working on this update.

My partner is probably shooting me the side eye for wasting valuable working hours by responding here.

Time to make the donuts.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 1:05 AM, von Ozbourne said:

These allegations are preposterous and won't hesitate to be as litigious as Nintendo Company to defend myself from such defamation.

It is unfortunate that I cannot ask for my esteemed, and very much still living, colleague to reply as a proof of the ludicrous nature of these allegations, as I'm sure that as someone with alleged ties to possibly shady online actors based in countries that may be hostile to us, will be well versed in the act of creating ghost accounts or logging in to other people's accounts in order to fool the general public. Ghost accounts that might also be used to puff up download numbers in order to attract better sponsors.
But of course I am not making any accusations of any wrong doing because that would not be responsible, and my lawyer may have advised me not to comment.

I would say that soon is still the timeline for the upcoming update, and you are certainly welcome to watch the All-Star festivities while you await the next release, but I understand that there is no real reason for anyone under ten to want to do that.

Oh shoot, I forgot, what were we fighting about? Got sick again, and lost my train of thought. Back awake now. Next time I'll take notes, and see my flame war through more throughly. This time I'll have to concede defeat.

To tell you the truth, I actually really enjoyed the skills competition events this year. Or did you already know that, and just wanted to preemptively call me a 10-year old? Hmmm. Could be 4D chess. Or I'm just regressing in my old age.

When the all-star game was in Toronto in 2000, I went, and it was surprisingly way more fun in person. Although the highlight was the pre-game warm-ups. Unbelievable getting to see all those great players at once, what they each do before the game, and to compare their relative skill levels. That was the game the Pavel & Valeri Bure just lit it up. Watching them together, it made you wonder why Valeri never had a greater impact. Lindros was the player the really surprised me though. He was a way more skilled player than I had ever realized. Really eye-opening. And Forsberg was great, but I had seen FoPa play twice before, and he had already impressed me as the best player along the boards.

11 hours ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Oh shoot, I forgot, what were we fighting about? Got sick again, and lost my train of thought. Back awake now. Next time I'll take notes, and see my flame war through more throughly. This time I'll have to concede defeat.

To tell you the truth, I actually really enjoyed the skills competition events this year. Or did you already know that, and just wanted to preemptively call me a 10-year old? Hmmm. Could be 4D chess. Or I'm just regressing in my old age.

When the all-star game was in Toronto in 2000, I went, and it was surprisingly way more fun in person. Although the highlight was the pre-game warm-ups. Unbelievable getting to see all those great players at once, what they each do before the game, and to compare their relative skill levels. That was the game the Pavel & Valeri Bure just lit it up. Watching them together, it made you wonder why Valeri never had a greater impact. Lindros was the player the really surprised me though. He was a way more skilled player than I had ever realized. Really eye-opening. And Forsberg was great, but I had seen FoPa play twice before, and he had already impressed me as the best player along the boards.

You forgot? What is this? Some kind of final blow dismissal? "Oh I'm sorry you spend so much time thinking about me as your nemesis, but I just don't think about you... at all." And to say you concede? Like it doesn't matter so much that you will tell me I'm a winner out of some sense of pity because my fragile ego wouldn't be able to handle it otherwise? And now you're going to say that I'm asking all of these questions because, I'm apparently stalling hoping I might remember where I'm supposed to be going with this? Well... So?

I'll be honest, I'm sure it would be more interesting to see it in person, but as far as on TV, I stopped taking the skills competitions seriously about when I started to notice the NHL stopping to take them seriously. Like when the breakaway competition started becoming more like a slam dunk competition. Ovi with two stick, Kane with a cape, Voracek with... Gaudreau. And then they changed the voting process to stop fans from having fun with it and adding a guy like John Scott to the team.

I do appreciate that you think I might be skilled at 4D chess though. To be frank, I'm not much at 2D chess, never mind doubling the Ds. I always figured I'm more of a "take your RNG thing if choice and G some RN's with it and then adapt" type. Helps when your plan gets tossed out the window after Step 1, or when you just forgot to make a plan.

Supposed to be talking something about a game huh. Yeah, schedules are hard, so I'll just say that it's getting there.

8 hours ago, von Ozbourne said:

I'll be honest, I'm sure it would be more interesting to see it in person, but as far as on TV, I stopped taking the skills competitions seriously about when I started to notice the NHL stopping to take them seriously. Like when the breakaway competition started becoming more like a slam dunk competition. Ovi with two stick, Kane with a cape, Voracek with... Gaudreau. And then they changed the voting process to stop fans from having fun with it and adding a guy like John Scott to the team.

Me too. They killed it. But this year they brought it back, no judges, no showmanship, period. Only actual skills based competitions, in a more competitive format. They went from the worst ever last year, to arguably the best ever this year. Players were visibly gassed competing for the million dollars. Stamina actually came into it. 

p.s. I was also pleased to see that the finalists were 1. McDavid, 2. Makar, and 3. Matthews, since that’s identical to the top three ratings in my ROM. Not exactly going out on a limb, I know. :)

Edited by AdamCatalyst

On 2/10/2024 at 9:55 AM, AdamCatalyst said:

Me too. They killed it. But this year they brought it back, no judges, no showmanship, period. Only actual skills based competitions, in a more competitive format. They went from the worst ever last year, to arguably the best ever this year. Players were visibly gassed competing for the million dollars. Stamina actually came into it. 

p.s. I was also pleased to see that the finalists were 1. McDavid, 2. Makar, and 3. Matthews, since that’s identical to the top three ratings in my ROM. Not exactly going out on a limb, I know. :)

Yeah I liked this year's skills competition for the first time in ages. Back to basics. Would have liked a few more players in it, and maybe spread the prize money around more so guys don't give up if they know they can't win.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick Kane looked sick the other night beating the Hawks in Overtime!  Hopefully he moves up in rating and performance with your future update 😊

Edited by Ronnie

On 12/16/2023 at 11:06 PM, Ronnie said:

Ok so good news is I've got the hockey up and running!  It downloaded perfectly to my everdrive x5 with the 32 GB SD Card.  Bad news is I can't get any of the genesis games to load on the sd card.  Just get an error code.  I mean I got the everdrive just for this hockey game anyway but it would've been nice to horse around with some genesis games too.

Sorry to reply to something 2+ months late but I only just saw this particular post.

If I'm understanding the issue correctly (it's been a long day), I had the same problem when I first got my X3. It wouldn't read the 32GB SD card I had gotten originally but it had no trouble with a 16GB card.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sedge said:

Sorry to reply to something 2+ months late but I only just saw this particular post.

If I'm understanding the issue correctly (it's been a long day), I had the same problem when I first got my X3. It wouldn't read the 32GB SD card I had gotten originally but it had no trouble with a 16GB card.

Format the 32gb card to a fat32 format. And try it again, if that doesn’t work, you may have a bad sd card.

• Like 1

In my case, the 32GB card was just larger than the Genesis EverDrive was willing to read. I've been using that particular card in an N64 EverDrive without issue.

But, that's getting off topic.

• Like 1

I was able to get it to work.  I just was confused on where to download the Genesis and master system games.  I, like an idiot thought all the games came preloaded on the everdrive 😂 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Okay my Red Wings are really messing things up here. I’m really Worried we might not make playoffs now.  Wish we would’ve gotten a good defenseman at the trade deadline as our defense just sucks.  Oh and our coach uncle fester Lalonde has to go too.  

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Okay my Red Wings are really messing things up here. I’m really Worried we might not make playoffs now.  Wish we would’ve gotten a good defenseman at the trade deadline as our defense just sucks.  Oh and our coach uncle fester Lalonde has to go too.  

image.gif

• Haha 1

Sorry for the delay in updating folks, but you know, sometimes life doesn't accommodate for the number of roster moves that NHL GM's decide to push through. Also intended on this being version 3, but that trade deadline really snuck up on us while we were working adjusting the rosters and player stats. So now that the dust has settled, he's our Trade Deadline Edition.

Changes for this version:

• Roster updates as of 17 Mar 2024
  • All player attributes have been adjusted to reflect performances through to the All-Star break
  • Rosters are re-alphabetized and many player photos have been touched up
  • A few small graphical changes, some of which I don't remember and most probably went unnoted by all but weirdos like me anyway

Update in the original post as well. Hope you enjoy.

NHL 2024 - Retro 94 x 30th Edition v2.1.bin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, von Ozbourne said:
  • A few small graphical changes, some of which I don't remember and most probably went unnoted by all but weirdos like me anyway.

Looking forward to spotting them! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just a mini update today. Rated a few new players. Made an edit to the "pull the goalie" formula after remembering to go back and review the summary that @smozoma was excellent enough to post on that subject.

Decided to turn this one into
a Path to the Playoffs Edition to highlight all the teams that are gearing up for a run at the Stanley Cup. The trade deadline sellers are still there despite having fewer bodies than they did at the start of the season, but lets face it, much like the fans that are still showing up to the games in real life, you're probably going to have more fun playing as the teams that are looking to extend their season and not their lottery odds.
an April Fools joke.

Have fun.
image.png

NHL 2024 - Retro 94 PTTP Edition.bin

Edited by von Ozbourne
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, von Ozbourne said:

Just a mini update today. Rated a few new players. Made an edit to the "pull the goalie" formula after remembering to go back and review the summary that @smozoma was excellent enough to post on that subject.

Decided to turn this one into a Path to the Playoffs Edition to highlight all the teams that are gearing up for a run at the Stanley Cup. The trade deadline sellers are still there despite having fewer bodies than they did at the start of the season, but lets face it, much like the fans that are still showing up to the games in real life, you're probably going to have more fun playing as the teams that are looking to extend their season and not their lottery odds.

Have fun.
image.png

NHL 2024 - Retro 94 PTTP Edition.bin 2 MB · 1 download

Sweet!  Thank you @von Ozbourne!

@von Ozbournetried playing with Minnesota Wild tonight on the new update and there seems to be a glitch with that team.  It'll freeze up if you listen to announcer Dave.  If you press start immediately instead of listening to Dave's intro you can get into the game but there aren't any Minnesota players.  Weird?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ronnie said:

@von Ozbournetried playing with Minnesota Wild tonight on the new update and there seems to be a glitch with that team.  It'll freeze up if you listen to announcer Dave.  If you press start immediately instead of listening to Dave's intro you can get into the game but there aren't any Minnesota players.  Weird?

I tested it on real sega hardware, yeah, I replicated the bug. Super funny bug.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, l o f i - poutine said:

I tested it on real sega hardware, yeah, I replicated the bug. Super funny bug.

Hopefully it’s an easy fix.  😊

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Hopefully it’s an easy fix.  😊

From what I’ve seen, if you select MIN, and try and edit the roster, the screen crashes. And if you select them as the opponent, the players on the ice are MIA.

1 minute ago, l o f i - poutine said:

From what I’ve seen, if you select MIN, and try and edit the roster, the screen crashes. And if you select them as the opponent, the players on the ice are MIA.

Yep same here!  It's like your not playing against an opponent cuz there's only 5 men on the ice.

Posted (edited)

Sorry guys. That bug was intended to be a feature. If you tested out other teams, you might have noticed a trend in that all of the teams that are within reach of making the playoffs are featured in the game, and all of the teams that are functionally eliminated, were told to empty their lockers and go home.
Except for the goalie.
Who donned practice gear.
But he does eventually decide he's had enough and will bugger off as well at the start of the third period.

After further reflection, it was probably a missed opportunity to not set the goalie roaming area to the entire rink.

Uh...April fools.

To make it up, I'll probably set up a real update once the playoffs start.

Edited by von Ozbourne
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, von Ozbourne said:

Sorry guys. That bug was intended to be a feature. If you tested out other teams, you might have noticed a trend in that all of the teams that are within reach of making the playoffs are featured in the game, and all of the teams that are functionally eliminated, were told to empty their lockers and go home.
Except for the goalie.
But he does eventually decide he's had enough and will bugger off as well at the start of the third period.

After further reflection, it was probably a missed opportunity to not set the goalie roaming area to the entire rink.

Uh...April fools.

Clever! You got us good!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, von Ozbourne said:

Except for the goalie.

Uh...April fools.

lol I love it!!! That’s a good April Fools Joke!  😂 you got us 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, AdamCatalyst said:

Last night was the best night of games all year. What a finish. Sorry about your Wings though, I was rooting for them. That Perron goal sent me through the roof!

Agreed!  It was so much fun!  Yeah That Perron shot with 7 seconds remaining was so amazing!