NHL'94 Forums

Talking during games

dmac

Talking (especially trash talking) during games must stop. I have had a recent experience where an opponent and I were playing a normal game and then a talk bubble comes up about something totally uneccessary during the game. A new AIM window pops up and the game keeps going.

This happened to me and then the opponent scored! And the thing that was typed was " haha here comes _____". That goal ended up being the difference in the game as I lost 5-4!!

I mean, there is no point in telling your opponent who's on and what they're doing because then it just screws up the game. Since a new window comes up, you have to re-adjust the screen size and close off other things and doing all of that is just a useless hassle than could have been prevented if not for something stupid that just doesn't need to happen during a game.

I'm completely with Dmac on this one. Unless there needs to be a stoppage during play and you or your opponent needs to say what is going on... what's the point of chatting, especially trash talking? It's a pain when you're using GENS-netplaysave and your opponent writes something b/c when you check it, the screen minimizes. Then you have to maximize it again once you return to the game. Now imagine you have to do this after every time the other guy trash talks after a goal.

There's nothing wrong with a little trash talking but save it until after the game. But also have the common courtesy to know when your opponent isn't in the mood after a tough loss.

The worst case example is if the IM screen pops up with dumb s**t from your opponent and you lose control of your team, this is what I would classify as douchebaggery of epic proportions. This was never an issue last season and I trust that it won't be a problem this season.

i understand your pain, but you can always just close aim while you're playing. thats the simple way to shut someone up.

It really shouldn't have to come down to that. We've got a group of standup guys in this league. If it's an issue that's brought up now, I would expect that everyone would respect it.

What's the point in keeping AIM on anyway? All it does is distract you and add lag.

The point of this thread isn't to discuss whether your AIM should be on or off. Besides, I don't think I've ever played you when either of us turned it completely off so I really don't understand where you're coming from.

ok, dmac brings this up... yet he still doesnt get it to turn off AIM during league games. he paused it 3 times during the game and didnt let me know when he was going to unpause. finally the OT goal he scores comes directly because of a pause during play and an unpause when I didnt know it was coming.

PAUSING DURING LEAGUE GAMES HAS TO STOP

Yeah, pausing sucks..

If I have to pause for some reason

1) I try to do it only do it when i have control of the puck in my own zone or maybe the neutral zone, but am not yet 'attacking'.

2) When I'm about to unpause, I press up/down a few times in the pause screen so the other guy can see that i'm back and am probably going to unpause (unless I just sent him a message saying I'm about to unpause)

3) and also don't move my guy until I can see that the other guy is active again.

Apparently Kega lets you talk directly in the emulator -- it shows up on the screen. That'd be pretty neat.. easy to communicate and coordinate.

Yeah that's why I love Kega so much.

And just to let you all know I already apologized to thegr8199 and now I always turn off my AIM during games. I promise it wont happen again to any of you.

I think making Fogarty jokes should not only be allowed, but encouraged

all u have to do is

A. put up an away and have winodws minimize, or

B. keep window open so it wont pop up infront of ur jam

but my Fogarty joke for the goal making it 1-0 was epic. :)