NHL'94 Forums

Ties? (EVERYONE RESPOND PLEASE)

Ties?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should we get rid of ties in NHL94?

• Yes, I don't like ties.
    • No, I like ties.
  2. 2. If we get rid of ties, how should we solve the problem?

• Endless overtime.
    • One overtime, then shootout.
    • One overtime, then replay the game.
  3. 3. If we do NOT get rid of ties, what should they be worth?

• More than half a win.
    • Half a win.
    • Less than half a win.
    • Nothing (but are the first tiebreaker).

In most classic leagues, it takes three ties to overtake a single win (because of the first tiebreaker, most wins). The most I've ever seen for one coach is four, I believe, and in the Cap League we had 7 in 1,146 games, about one in every 164 games - suffice to say nobody got three, even with that LARGE number of games.

If I'm not mistaken...I don't believe you can play more than one OT for SNES in head to head match up...the game has to be restarted.

If I'm not mistaken...I don't believe you can play more than one OT for SNES in head to head match up...the game has to be restarted.
You'd restart the game with the same settings and everything, and the first player to score goes WWCD.

I'm a big fan of endless OT if possible.

Even the shootout would be better than ties. The fans seem to enjoy them too.

Where's dr p1zza? I need some commentary on my games.

I'm a big fan of endless OT if possible.

Even the shootout would be better than ties. The fans seem to enjoy them too.

Where's dr p1zza? I need some commentary on my games.

I would never put the shootout into one of my leagues without a very negative points system involved (I don't believe in the shootout, ever, in anything - not even soccer). However I put it in the poll cause I'm sure there are people who kinda want it.

I think endless OT is a very real possibility.

I don't believe in the shootout, ever, in anything - not even soccer.

How about, say, in a standoff at the O.K. Corral? Would you believe in the shootout then? Or perhaps the AT&T Long Distance 3-Point Shootout?

What about if it were communists vs. capitalists in a standoff over, say, a valuable piece of military hardware? Would the shootout be appropriate then, or would you prefer calm and subtle discourse full of nuance?

Guest Wags13

Don't need to get all swole and insult the Snes'ers Wags. The cold war between versions is cold, and over. Feel free to take your frustrations out on Marky Mark: Make My Video for Sega CD.

edited by clockwise

..another reason SNES, and its players.. are inferior

ties? are you f**king kidding me?

If you have nothing to do with this why are you here? take your insults some place else.

I dont like the idea of restarting the game for endless OT its not the same feel.

Cant we just set the OT timer to 99 instead of just 5.

Nothing wrong with a regular season tie. in dynasty it happend once in 42 games x 16 coaches= 672

as for the playoffs keep her going till someone scores.

Althoug i agree with wags the genesis 94 is above all why is calling snes players inferior?

How about, say, in a standoff at the O.K. Corral? Would you believe in the shootout then? Or perhaps the AT&T Long Distance 3-Point Shootout?

What about if it were communists vs. capitalists in a standoff over, say, a valuable piece of military hardware? Would the shootout be appropriate then, or would you prefer calm and subtle discourse full of nuance?

Dmitri: Komrade, Heylo!

Smith: Excuse me?

Dmitri: How you say, "Good morning, sexy," no?

Smith: Wh-...what are you talking about?

Dmitri: Here, drink! We play Russian Roulette!

Smith: Interpreter!

If you have nothing to do with this why are you here? take your insults some place else.

I dont like the idea of restarting the game for endless OT its not the same feel.

Cant we just set the OT timer to 99 instead of just 5.

I would actually prefer a full 20-minute intermission between OTs. Can that be programmed into the ROM?

Nothing wrong with a regular season tie. in dynasty it happend once in 42 games x 16 coaches= 672

as for the playoffs keep her going till someone scores.

Althoug i agree with wags the genesis 94 is above all why is calling snes players inferior?

each game has two teams, so divide 672 by 2 = 336 games :D

I'd like to get some more poll results here.

Ties are awesome. They're so rare, they're almost worth celebrating. I missed the playoffs in GDL2 because I had a tie game (if i'd won it, i'd have made it!)

Ties are awesome. They're so rare, they're almost worth celebrating. I missed the playoffs in GDL2 because I had a tie game (if i'd won it, i'd have made it!)

I agree...I like the tie game because it is indeed rare.

Usually after those five minutes you heart is still racing because of all the chances both teams had. It's the perfect time to give each coach his point in the standings and crack open another beer.

yea, they kind of itch at me but they are pretty rare.... although since they are so rare, why not put a shootout at the end for some more nhl94 intensity, its a different element to the game thats there and readily available to use, yet we never use it in leagues.. why not give it a shot?

I'm kinda disappointed more people don't want ties to be worth less.

My biggest problem is that I really need the playoffs to be as close to the regular season as possible, in terms of how you are rewarded for your work.

Cap Leaguers will notice that I've moved the points system into the playoffs this time around, but I would really like to make everything fairly identical.

It's a personal comfort thing. The current NHL doesn't have it, although it pretty much did back before the OTL point in 1999.

I'm kinda disappointed more people don't want ties to be worth less.

My biggest problem is that I really need the playoffs to be as close to the regular season as possible, in terms of how you are rewarded for your work.

Cap Leaguers will notice that I've moved the points system into the playoffs this time around, but I would really like to make everything fairly identical.

It's a personal comfort thing. The current NHL doesn't have it, although it pretty much did back before the OTL point in 1999.

dude...its your league..run it how you see fit...if you want ties to be worth less..then make it so.

I love the Nuck Soap.

Is it even soap? Looks kinda like a cake to me :lol:

Anyways shootouts are the way to go sure ties may be cool because they are rare but it feels so unsatisfying to just end a game with a tie. It's like one of those pre school games where "everybody wins!"

With shootouts you put an exciting end to an exciting game. :)

Is it even soap? Looks kinda like a cake to me :lol:

Anyways shootouts are the way to go sure ties may be cool because they are rare but it feels so unsatisfying to just end a game with a tie. It's like one of those pre school games where "everybody wins!"

With shootouts you put an exciting end to an exciting game. :)

I disagree about shootouts being an exciting end - if we had endless overtime, it'd be far more crazy.

Besides, just like in the NHL, if you're tied going late into overtime, you might have more of a tendency to just hold on to the puck to secure your one point - or a 50/50 chance at the shootout. Shootouts are meant for breakaway and penalty training, not for end-of-game action, and if we're going to decide a game instead of let it be tied, might as well have a second overtime instead - it's not like the rink is being used for arena football or box lacrosse afterwards.

uh... shootouts require alot of skill in this game.. its a completely different element to the game thats fun and exciting. Why bother putting up a poll if you seem to already have your own opinions about whats going to be in or out. Halifax is right, its your league, run it how you like

uh... shootouts require alot of skill in this game.. its a completely different element to the game thats fun and exciting. Why bother putting up a poll if you seem to already have your own opinions about whats going to be in or out. Halifax is right, its your league, run it how you like
I can still do market research, right?

I agree with dethrox. Shootouts do require a lot of skill in NHL 94, because you have to anticipate what your opponent is going to do.

If you have endless OT's in the regular season, the playoff overtimes won't seem as exciting IMO.

Anyways, when it's all said and done, a goal will most likely be scored in the first 5 minutes of OT anyways..

I agree with dethrox. Shootouts do require a lot of skill in NHL 94, because you have to anticipate what your opponent is going to do.

If you have endless OT's in the regular season, the playoff overtimes won't seem as exciting IMO.

Anyways, when it's all said and done, a goal will most likely be scored in the first 5 minutes of OT anyways.. i hate myself and think im completely useless

tis true

tis true

QUOTE (dmac @ Jun 7 2008, 07:47 PM) *

.... i hate myself and think im completely useless

What? Why did you add that at the end of my quote? :lol:

QUOTE (dmac @ Jun 7 2008, 07:47 PM) *

.... i hate myself and think im completely useless

What? Why did you add that at the end of my quote? :lol:

hehe, i noticed that and wasn't sure if you put it or he added it