NHL'94 Forums

Classic League possible change

metzgerism

EDIT: Um...this might not happen - we're looking at several things.

I'm leaving the thread and posts intact here.

---

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know everything about running leagues (but I'll also be the first to tell you I can do it better, so I'm a card-carrying member of the International Hypocrites Union). Before we delve into Classic (which starts on Monday, September 22nd!), I got some interesting and good advice from Halifax, who has a PhD in running NHL94 leagues.

Halifax mentioned that he'd prefer shorter, smaller leagues - but with a similar (small) number of games. Halifax and I have also USUALLY done 4 games vs. everyone in our non-Classic leagues, and I realized that I can use the same concepts I have now (20-40 game season, expanding leagues) but with smaller leagues and - this is the best part - my target NUMBER of leagues.

I would like to continue recruitment, but the league size will now be 6-11 teams each - SNES will (likely) have two leagues, and GENS will (likely) have three. You will play four games against each opponent in your league. With the numbers we have now, SNES leagues will START at 8-9 players, and GENS leagues will start at 6-7.

If you would like to revise your team picks due to this information, you may. Halifax said we're going to have a lot of Original 6 Leagues - that might just be the case.

for the record...I was kidding about the original six leagues...lol...but yes..I do think smaller leagues are the better way to go. 10-12 teams per league...and possibly as low as 8 if need be.

I think theres a lot of guys spend more time just trying to find players than actually playing. reducing the number of guys to find should help increase a more successful (pain free?) league.

If guys drop out..you can always dip into a lower pool and bump a guy up to play in two leagues. cuts down on finding a replacement.

not sure what your plan is metz...but i think sticking to calibre leagues is ideal...top players in A, next best in B etc.

Edit* - and reducing the amount of weeks as well (which was already mentioned) above.

This all feels very un-classic, though. The league has a very long history. It's not just the ROM that is classic. It's supposed to be as much like a real NHL season as is feasible.

I think there should always be a 16-20 team "A" league with with 4 divisions, 40 games, and with 8 or 16 teams making the playoffs.

This all feels very un-classic, though. The league has a very long history. It's not just the ROM that is classic. It's supposed to be as much like a real NHL season as is feasible.

I think there should always be a 16-20 team "A" league with with 4 divisions, 40 games, and with 8 or 16 teams making the playoffs.

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie thats amooreee

Yes I agree, Metz is "Capitalizing" the Classic League and what was nice about the two leagues were the differences. I think Metz should put this up for a vote amongst the legacy owners before he up and changes this.

Yes I agree, Metz is "Capitalizing" the Classic League and what was nice about the two leagues were the differences. I think Metz should put this up for a vote amongst the legacy owners before he up and changes this.

I also agree... smaller leagues are much easier to run and play in, but it does cut away from the "classic" ideas. smoz is right, a 20+ team league is nice for classic.

I also had an idea for the team selection... why not use coaches performance from last season? the teams that finished at the bottom should be given first choice in teams for this season with teams which finished better last season not getting to choose their team until later... might even out the playing field a bit? new coaches could be thrown into the beginning i guess, just like expansion teams get first pick in drafts.

Wags: Yes, there is some of my own quirk involved, but that was there from the outset. This change is A) Inspired by halifax, and :D what was nice about the two leagues were the differences - with the way I proposed it, there weren't going to BE two leagues. This ensures a 3-league GENS and a 2-league SNES.

Realistically, we can't get 20+ people into a league and keep that league stable. I've been recruiting from near and far and don't see any way that SNES Classic at over 20 players is a pipe dream - with the number of dropouts we'll be lucky to see 16 I think.

There are tons of people that say "eh, I don't really like classic anymore," or say "I don't like juiced, too fast/lame/whatever," or "I like the different teams." I'm never going to please everyone. I just hope that you all understand that I'm trying hard to make some compelling leagues out of this, instead of ones that stagnate and die. It's classic, sure, but I haven't run a league like this in...ever.

If magically 13 more people sign up for GENS before the weekend is through, then I will be forced to consider making GENS a 2-vs.-everyone league (instead of 4). But with the number's we're looking at right now, this...this is better.

Wags: Yes, there is some of my own quirk involved, but that was there from the outset. This change is A) Inspired by halifax, and B) what was nice about the two leagues were the differences - with the way I proposed it, there weren't going to BE two leagues. This ensures a 3-league GENS and a 2-league SNES.

Realistically, we can't get 20+ people into a league and keep that league stable. I've been recruiting from near and far and don't see any way that SNES Classic at over 20 players is a pipe dream - with the number of dropouts we'll be lucky to see 16 I think.

There are tons of people that say "eh, I don't really like classic anymore," or say "I don't like juiced, too fast/lame/whatever," or "I like the different teams." I'm never going to please everyone. I just hope that you all understand that I'm trying hard to make some compelling leagues out of this, instead of ones that stagnate and die. It's classic, sure, but I haven't run a league like this in...ever.

If magically 13 more people sign up for GENS before the weekend is through, then I will be forced to consider making GENS a 2-vs.-everyone league (instead of 4). But with the number's we're looking at right now, this...this is better.

Who gives a f**k about SNES.. f**k them.. they've never showed up. GENS has had plenty of regulars and had an A B and C league that was very viable just last season.

Your quirk wasn't there from the outset. The Classic League pre-dates nearly all of us, and you added your quirk because it fits your style. That's all well and good if Halifax wants to hand the keys to you, but that doesn't mean you aren't bastardizing the Classic league.

Of course you aren't going to please anyone and that isn't my point. Pretty soon all leagues won't have any differences and then it will alienate more people than the differences between the leagues do now. All leagues will have flippant sign up's, lighter color ice, point criteria's for OT wins and losses added, weight bug corrections, and so on and so forth.. and can't be called the Classic League anymore. It will be the Clapitalistic League.

Of course you aren't going to please anyone and that isn't my point. Pretty soon all leagues won't have any differences and then it will alienate more people than the differences between the leagues do now. All leagues will have flippant sign up's, lighter color ice, point criteria's for OT wins and losses added, weight bug corrections, and so on and so forth.. and can't be called the Classic League anymore. It will be the Clapitalistic League.

Sadly, as well as Metzgerism has run his leagues so far, I agree with that.

Sadly, as well as Metzgerism has run his leagues so far, I agree with that.

..and I am not implying Metz hasn't run the his leagues well.. I actually was skeptical of the Capitalism League in the past until I joined it this past year and I had a blast! I just want the Classic League to be the Classic League, and the other leagues to maintain their differences.

..and I am not implying Metz hasn't run the his leagues well.. I actually was skeptical of the Capitalism League in the past until I joined it this past year and I had a blast! I just want the Classic League to be the Classic League, and the other leagues to maintain their differences.

I wasn't suggesting you were. I was merely complementing Metz but also trying to simultaneously contrast the difference.

I wasn't suggesting you were. I was merely complementing Metz but also trying to simultaneously contrast the difference.

...and I wasn't suggesting that you were suggesting that I was suggesting (ha) Metz runs his leagues poorly. B)

Who gives a f**k about SNES.. f**k them.. they've never showed up. GENS has had plenty of regulars and had an A B and C league that was very viable just last season.
Last I checked, GENS last season was A and B. No C.
Your quirk wasn't there from the outset. The Classic League pre-dates nearly all of us, and you added your quirk because it fits your style. That's all well and good if Halifax wants to hand the keys to you, but that doesn't mean you aren't bastardizing the Classic league.

My quirk actually solves a goal - how do you play the Fall Classic League...in the FALL. I understand your concern, but the fact of the matter is that there are more people than just you around. There are going to be newcomers joining as well as veterans that will return to see that the Classic League has already started. I don't want to disenfranchise them, and we can't have a vote on it because, strategically, it is better for those of us that are here now to shut them out/put them on the waitlist.

I'm doing all I can to recruit, contact vets, etc, but some people don't get back to school/back from summer until next week or the week after - I want this to remain open to them, as well as being a more adaptable league than it has been in the past.

Hey! Flippant! Vocabularium est dictum lollage.

I don't know how many people have tried to make leagues based on the Classic League format, but I know that I'm one of the few that HASN'T. It's been years since I've done a league where we even try to get everyone to play every game - it's just a waste of time as a commissioner, IMO. So this is honestly new territory for me, and I'm trying to both represent Classic, while also allowing the league to be large and successful.

Besides - lighter ice and 5-minute OT's are two ways to correct the historical inaccuracy of the old ROM when it shipped. It's not a weight bug fix or a change to the point system, which are severely more drastic alterations. The game is still played the same way, just slightly clearer.

---

Thanks for the compliments on the rest of my leagues. Remember, I'm just trying to run this as smoothly as I can - in my experience Classic usually runs like a garbage truck with square wheels, so any improvement helps.

Last I checked, GENS last season was A and B. No C.

My quirk actually solves a goal - how do you play the Fall Classic League...in the FALL. I understand your concern, but the fact of the matter is that there are more people than just you around. There are going to be newcomers joining as well as veterans that will return to see that the Classic League has already started. I don't want to disenfranchise them, and we can't have a vote on it because, strategically, it is better for those of us that are here now to shut them out/put them on the waitlist.

I'm doing all I can to recruit, contact vets, etc, but some people don't get back to school/back from summer until next week or the week after - I want this to remain open to them, as well as being a more adaptable league than it has been in the past.

Hey! Flippant! Vocabularium est dictum lollage.

I don't know how many people have tried to make leagues based on the Classic League format, but I know that I'm one of the few that HASN'T. It's been years since I've done a league where we even try to get everyone to play every game - it's just a waste of time as a commissioner, IMO. So this is honestly new territory for me, and I'm trying to both represent Classic, while also allowing the league to be large and successful.

Besides - lighter ice and 5-minute OT's are two ways to correct the historical inaccuracy of the old ROM when it shipped. It's not a weight bug fix or a change to the point system, which are severely more drastic alterations. The game is still played the same way, just slightly clearer.

---

Thanks for the compliments on the rest of my leagues. Remember, I'm just trying to run this as smoothly as I can - in my experience Classic usually runs like a garbage truck with square wheels, so any improvement helps.

I will play no matter what is decided, but part of the "charm" of the Classic league was that it wasn't modded to death.. it was the game in its original form.. and with no lack of modded leagues, roms, etc. it was fun to just play NHL 94 as it was originally created, that's all.

I say we just throw out the B league and have one solid A league for GENS. Any late comers can join the B league and have it open like Metz likes to run them. As far as modifying anything, I agree with Wags and Smozo that the charm is playing with the un-edited rom.

I know things have been pretty bad recently as far as consistent play etc, but we have to remember it was just summer. The Fall leagues pretty much run smoothly.

Any answer on the site hosting the standings/schedule etc? I prefer the NHL94online.com site for classic.

I've been talking to statto - he wants the one league as well, without open registration. He's also hard at work doing an automated system for standings and s**t...it's looking pretty good (I think he started about 45 minutes ago and it has some semblance of my excel sheets).

This is kinda disappointing to me - most of the feedback that I am receiving is that you want things to go the way they have in the past...the slow crap that has bogged down Classic for years.

We can wait a week for more registration. I would like to try and ensure two moderately large GENS leagues (12-16) before starting.

This is kinda disappointing to me - most of the feedback that I am receiving is that you want things to go the way they have in the past...the slow crap that has bogged down Classic for years.

Things can move swiftly if they're managed properly. The Classic Fall C League (Defending Champ Sebe) went fairly smoothly except for 4-5 teams.

With one league that means we should have a decent pool of players on the wait list. If that's the case, run it similar to the way Sungod ran the Dynasty league, short leash for slackers.

I mentioned this to Sun a few months back for the 2nd season of Dynasty, have a 'B' league that is basically a feeder system for the A league. This would be the pool to tap players to replace A leaguers. For example, the leader of the B league would have the first option to join the A league if someone was booted. If they declined, #2 would have the option etc etc etc. The purpose of doing this 'B' league is to ensure the coach you're moving to the A league is a consistently active player.

They can also choose to remian in the B league and fill the open spot in the A league.

Call it the NHL and AHL, kinda cool concept.

If guys drop out..you can always dip into a lower pool and bump a guy up to play in two leagues. cuts down on finding a replacement.
B)
I mentioned this to Sun a few months back for the 2nd season of Dynasty, have a 'B' league that is basically a feeder system for the A league. This would be the pool to tap players to replace A leaguers. For example, the leader of the B league would have the first option to join the A league if someone was booted. If they declined, #2 would have the option etc etc etc. The purpose of doing this 'B' league is to ensure the coach you're moving to the A league is a consistently active player.

They can also choose to remian in the B league and fill the open spot in the A league.

Call it the NHL and AHL, kinda cool concept.

This concept was in place for last season as well. I think FlamingPavelBure might have played in both for gens last year.

B)

This concept was in place for last season as well. I think FlamingPavelBure might have played in both for gens last year.

Nah man, you had a feeder system last season, I'm proposing a minor league 'feeder' system. Ya see, there's a difference. My version is original B)

Nah man, you had a feeder system last season, I'm proposing a minor league 'feeder' system. Ya see, there's a difference. My version is original B)

I understand...the B league is kind of like the capitalism league...just some guys who sorta play each other but the one who shows the most commitment would be asked to be the first replacement.

still sounds the same and smells the same...but I will say this

'long live B) !'

I understand...the B league is kind of like the capitalism league...just some guys who sorta play each other but the one who shows the most commitment would be asked to be the first replacement.

still sounds the same and smells the same...but I will say this

'long live :blink: !'

lol u missed my dry sense of humor. I was trying to find the vid of Vanilla Ice defending why his version of Ice Ice Baby beat was different then Queens Under Pressure, when essentially they're exactly the same.

My 'novel' idea was just a rip off of what u did last year.