NHL'94 Forums

Vote for your favourite painted NHL goalie mask

halifax

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing says 'I have a happy life' like Martin Brodeur's mask. I like it, personally. Khabibulin's mask is a nice tribute to Grant Fuhr and Rinne's mask is really slick.

If we go by legendary masks, few can compare to Ed Belfour's Eagle mask, Andy Moog's Bruin and Mike Richter's Rangers mask.

I find masks these days are too complicated. Brodeur's is one of the few that has that mid-90's instant-recognizability-from-200-feet (and not coincidentally, that's when it was designed.. same guy as Potvin's, I think).

Well, Osgood still uses an old-school mask, so you may have looked at it already.

These shots deserve be good mug shots for the goalies for future roms.

• 1 month later...

Love the old masks. Not a fan of the new cage styles.

Plante's is a great one because of how grisly it looks. Just the style of it looks macabre in the black and white footage, like the person behind it has some gruesome ass facial features of someone who head butted a land mine.

Here's my top 10:

Plante:

15yx2c8.jpg

Cheevers:

6ek6dg.jpg

Gratton:

6olted.jpg

Bannerman:

tahi0z.jpg

Bromley:

ej79ue.jpg

Dryden:15i25w1.jpg
Stephenson:

30v2e54.jpg

Sawchuk:

2zejqqq.jpg

Stephenson

ih79qd.jpg

Bouchard

2ain7uq.jpg

Images courtesy of hockeymasks.com (no I didn't hot link), you can purchase these reproductions for a nice chunk of change. Most of them go for around $400 and you can select a weathered or high gloss finish too.

I find masks these days are too complicated. Brodeur's is one of the few that has that mid-90's instant-recognizability-from-200-feet (and not coincidentally, that's when it was designed.. same guy as Potvin's, I think).

So true! Sometimes simple is better, and most of these masks you can't tell what's going on unless you could sit and look at them from all angles. Some guys have good ideas on the mask, but typically too busy.

One of the few current masks I like is Toskala's: Toskala's Mask