NHL'94 Forums

Differences between NHL 94 & 93?

MaynardGKrebs

Hey gang, I go by Maynard_G_Krebs. I spend most of my time over at TecmoBowl.org. I did the graphics and gameplay updates for our TSB 2013 release.

With the NHL lockout finally concluded, I was interested to see if anyone posted an updated ROM file here at NHL94.com. Sure enough, I found one in the forums here. Good times.

I'm a total noob when it comes to discussion about the NHL series, so if this information is posted somewhere, please forgive me.

What are the major differences between NHL 93 & 94, other than fighting ('93) and one-timers ('94)? ANd for that matter, what about NHL '95? I never played that one, but can remember it being universally panned in comparison. I'm curious, because I always seemed to enjoy the '93 game more. Weight feels different. Hits feel different. And obviously, I love the fighting option in '93.

Clearly, I'm going to assume that people's preferred version here is the '94 version. Can someone explain to me why that is? What are the main differences that make people on the whole prefer the '94 version?

Mucho thanks!

Edited by MaynardGKrebs

there are plenty of discussions about these things. read posts, play a few few games of both, come back and share your thoughts. which ROM(s) did you try?

user versus longstander, eh? I hope we don't differenciate here. more releases? I hope so. I won't be finishing one any time soon. I'm not holding any breath while waiitng for any more SNES ROMs to pop up during this regular season.

DaDonch started an NHL'93 draft league recently, which I'm a part of, so the differences are fresh in my mind.

While the two games are similar, here is what sets them apart (and makes 94 the better version).

1. No manual goalie control in 93. This is the #1 flaw of the game as scoring is extremely easy. Goalie ratings don't matter as Patrick Roy can't stop a beach ball. Truly ruins the game as competitive games become a coin flip of who gets the next breakaway. The only good thing is the 93 goalies aren't susceptible to the infamous "crease cut" goal in 94.

2. No one-timers. I don't think this is good or bad. Just different and kind of fun.

3. Fighting. Advantage 93!

The other differences are minor. Slightly different feel for checking. Not sure if I can think of anything else.

Genesis is the more popular version. I won't say its better because I don't want to incite a riot, but Genesis attracts the bigger crowd.

95 is a completely reworked game and I haven't played it in many years, so I can't comment to that.

DaDonch started an NHL'93 draft league recently, which I'm a part of, so the differences are fresh in my mind.

While the two games are similar, here is what sets them apart (and makes 94 the better version).

1. No manual goalie control in 93. This is the #1 flaw of the game as scoring is extremely easy. Goalie ratings don't matter as Patrick Roy can't stop a beach ball. Truly ruins the game as competitive games become a coin flip of who gets the next breakaway. The only good thing is the 93 goalies aren't susceptible to the infamous "crease cut" goal in 94.

This makes sense. I feel like the '93 goalies are pretty robotic. They get beat by the behind-the-net goal when you cross infront nearly every time.

2. No one-timers. I don't think this is good or bad. Just different and kind of fun.

3. Fighting. Advantage 93!

For me, these two in combination are the biggest difference. It's a sad day when I can't mess somebody up with Adam Oates.

The other differences are minor. Slightly different feel for checking. Not sure if I can think of anything else.

While I may be wrong, I've noticed some animation differences with the Genesis version, in that there are more contact animations from the player being checked, particularly when it comes to players getting hit into the boards. Also, the biggest difference for me is framerate. The Genesis version is so much more fluid. And, clearly, the player stats saving feature is a change, too.

Genesis is the more popular version. I won't say its better because I don't want to incite a riot, but Genesis attracts the bigger crowd.

I'm starting to see that. Nostalgia will get that kind of reaction.

Although I played this game a ton when I was younger; it's been a while. I played a few games of each last night, and my preference was wit the Genesis version, which usually isn't the case when it comes to games that were cross-platform back then. Another example of cross-platform games that I preferred on the Genesis version was the FIFA Soccer titles.

95 is a completely reworked game and I haven't played it in many years, so I can't comment to that.

This I remember. Specifically, I remember the very first day I first played '95. I was 14 or 15, and I instantly knew it was a giant turd.

I remember the very first day I first played '95. I was 14 or 15, and I instantly knew it was a giant turd.

Haha. My first experience of '95 was just watching it & I wasn't interested! lol. Saw about 20 seconds & had no desire to play it. Looked so fast & unrealistic.

First time I did play it was when I downloaded an edited rom on this forum a couple of years ago...........that experience lasted about 20 seconds too! haha. No feeling of ice contact, friction or the laws of physics at all. More like the players are all buzzing around above the ice like mosquitos over pool of sewage!

Wow. The framerate in the Genesis version is so much more fluid.

The SNES '93 is just a quick port of the Genesis version to SNES, so it's not well optimized. The frame rate is terrible, and it seems like it can't play music and sounds at the same time, or something like that.

SNES '93 is terrible. The pre-'94 Genesis games are good, but SNES '94 makes them seem like novelty alternatives. as for the differences between the SNES and Genesis versions of '94, we have a whole section for that, but I'll just state the the Genesis game lacks crucial features and has a massive programming error that turns heavy dudes into pussies.

SNES '93 is terrible. The pre-'94 Genesis games are good, but SNES '94 makes them seem like novelty alternatives. as for the differences between the SNES and Genesis versions of '94, we have a whole section for that, but I'll just state the the Genesis game lacks crucial features and has a massive programming error that turns heavy dudes into pussies.

I found some threads trudadman where you drop some science on the differences, and promote why you like the SNES version better. My follow-up to that information would be to ask about the hacks people have developed for the Genesis version--weight issues being corrected, and etc.. Some of the hacks, I'm assuming balance out the imbalances, right?

very much so. the weight fail is fixable, as is the lack of instant goaltender control. if they manage to somehow hack in right defenseman control and left defenseman control, it will almost make up for the delayed reactions inherent to the demonstrably inferior system. the differences in the fluidity of the action are interesting; they are different games, but not by too much. the Genesis one is`decent, but it is much more popular and there are many more capable hackers bring innovations to that platform. if the SNES crew had Smozoma and others like him actively developing new features and fixes for the very few and far between remaining issues to address with the SNES version, there would be no comparison. the Genesis game is much more playable than it used to be with those great fixes enacted.

anyway, welcome aboard. enjoy!

Mucho thanks for the input and opinions, dudes.

I'm not a stickler for graphics, personally. Most of the TSB community prefers the NES version of Tecmo Super Bowl, for instance, over the SNES incarnation, even though they're essentially the same game, in gameplay tendencies. I think that nostalgia for the NES game, in addition to a dozen or so small variables, and most notably the hacker following, make the NES version standout.

So far, the greatest game changer for me in the difference between the two NHL console versions is the framerate. Again, it's not about graphics; it's about fluidity of the experience to me. I definitely appreciate the conversation from everyone, though.

Edited by MaynardGKrebs

the framerate was an issue in the '93 version because the SNES port was rushed. do you notice a framerate issue in '94?

I definitely notice a framerate difference between the SNES and Genesis versions of '94, which is actually what I was originally referring to. Granted, I am using emulators, which likely have an effect. I just booted them up right now. This isn't something that other people notice?

Edited by MaynardGKrebs

I am definitely in the 93 camp. Let’s be honest you can’t have hockey without fighting. I hate one-timers as I think it spoilt the game by making it too easy to score from them and to difficult to score with a normal shot –not realistic.

Anything +94 as stated above was too fast and unrealistic + you could only score by using the one-timer. I also don’t like SNES 94 – not realistic why did they not make it like Gens 94??

I will stick up for SNES 93 as I spent a lot of time playing it. It is a bit basic and the player movement sucks but there are certain things which I love on it.

One big thing that I like which is on no other game is that when the puck is in the offensive zone the D men stay inside the blue line which is great for shots from the point (especially good on the PP). I find it annoying that on all other later games they drift in and out all the time even if the puck is in deep. It’s funny nobody mentions this issue as it’s a major part of hockey!!!

Hitting I find is the better than any other game + I like the range of shooting - you can aim anywhere and score anywhere. I also find the goalie difficult to beat but not impossible on breakaways which is what you want. On Gens 93 it is way too easy.

I think if you could add these things to Gens 93 it would be almost perfect. Of course adding a fourth line would help. :)

I don't notice the framerates as an issue after '93. I do notice the painfully slow response of the Genesis hardware, however. (I'm not referring to the netmider selection response, I mean every game on that system.) I have time to yell at the screen while I'm waiting for the button pressing to translate into action on the screen. it's infuriatingly slow compared to Nintendo's systems, but people seemed to prefer it so much that the video game companies felt comfortable moving to the absurd technology of disc-driven gaming. people prefer Genesis, people prefer MP3s, people prefer processed "foods," people prefer poisonou-

mm. give them what they want, I guess.

....fun isn't measured in buttons/features....
agreed. I don't have fun playing the Genesis version. it's like playing a turn-based roleplaying game of hockey. Edited by trudatman

the framerate was an issue in the '93 version because the SNES port was rushed. do you notice a framerate issue in '94?

I definitely notice a framerate difference between the SNES and Genesis versions of '94, which is actually what I was originally referring to. Granted, I am using emulators, which likely have an effect. I just booted them up right now. This isn't something that other people notice?

Genesis is 60 fps, SNES is 30 (SNES '93 looks something like 10-15). On an old CRT TV, you probably wouldn't notice, but on a modern TV, you will.

SNES '93 has to be two frames per second, then. it is hurky, jerky and spastic like a turkey.

lol. trudatman MUST secretly be the guy who created the SNES version. Can't stand to have a bad word said against it......or a good word said about the GENS version, which is apparently terrible, even though it's more popular than SNES

not SNES '93. feel free to call that piece of crap what it is. '94, though... yeah, I feel the need to point out the obvious. I'm an atheist and a vegan, too. facts are facts.

Genesis is 60 fps, SNES is 30. On an old CRT TV, you probably wouldn't notice, but on a modern TV, you will.

Makes sense. I'm playing the games via emulators on my soft-modded Xbox on a HD flat panel television. Genesis '94 is silky smooth. SNES '94 is less smooth. The difference is extremely noticeable.

93 is/was the game for me. I also have just joined the 93 draft league that kingraph spoke of and can see why the pros love 94. It is my first league with this online community and the scoring by the pros (raph, Tom Kabs etc...) is ridiculous. The deke is completely unstoppable. But for playing solo or playing with like skilled friends and some other like skilled players in the league 93 is still my favorite.

I am going to try a 94 league but feel my lack of ability in goalie control and one timer will make me even more of a doormat but hey it is a video game and it is fun finding like minded guys who play 20 year old video games. New games and systems are worthless to me. I bought everyone up to like NHL 2005 on the PS2 played them for a week and went back to NHLPA 93.

The wt bug fix is awesome. NOSE blew me away. And yes smozoma is incredible.

I never played SNES original or now but I am sure I would love the game on that system as well.

It cracks me up that we fight over it. I love this community but everybody needs to read the quote at the bottom of kingraphs post whenever we argue about systems, running up the score, hits after the whistle etc...

Lastly, I am also a big Tecmo Bowl Fan and feel like 93 can be made better when playing by just adopting some simple rules like people do in Tecmo. In Tecmo leagues you can not use the DL as guys you control because you are unstoppable. I don't use them when I play the computer. If you play 93 and outlaw the deke it becomes a really fun game without ridiculous scoring.

I play solo and with some other guys using this simple rule and have great competitive games.

I also am not very good (7-30-3 record in league)

www.oldtimevideogamesports.webs.com

Hey MGK,

Glad some more tecmo guys founds this place. I started over here then found the tecmo sites.

Since I am an expert on the most hated NHL 95 game I'll give you some pointers.

1. It is a reworked game from the first two, I'd say it's kinda like the 16 bit versions of the Tecmo game compared to the Nintendo version. There are some improvements to the game but the feel that 94 has is mostly gone which people miss the most.

2. It also does not have fighting, it got reintroduced in 96. Which is also a reworked game. 97 and 98 are basically builds off 96.

3. 95 is the first NHL game to have season mode which is fun with trades and all the stats.

4. But the sega version which I prefer for 95 desyncs all the time so online play have never taking root like 94 has. (tried to start a league a couple times and crashed and burned from desyncs)

5. NHL 95 on the PC is much more like NHL 94 on the Gens/SNES, but does not have a large of a following either.

6. I love 95, I think its the best of the series, and playing against another person it is right up there with Tecmo. [curling up in a ball as I get flamed for blasphemy :) ]

Glad to see both these communities coming together, I think some really good stuff will come from this.

Edited by segathon

This is an excellent explanation. Many thanks, Segathon!

One thing I noticed from some recent postings of the very average video game fan on Facebook (The Tecmo Super Bowl fan page linked ot the new Facebook fan page of NHL94.com) is that in a series that has lived for so long, you're going to have people preferring their nostalgia from different eras of the game's lifespan across the board. The NHL series isn't Tecmo Bowl, in that Tecmo Bowl has, basically, four generations of (popular) games. The NHL and NBA EA series' have lived for over a decade, so you're going to have fans who were introduced to the different series all throughout this lifespan.

From that fact, my opinion is that it will be VERY helpful in creating greater awareness of this site, by having documentation about the various differences between years in the series. You have a lot / most of that already in the form of forum discussion. So, perhaps, the task of creating this documentation is as easy as finding those conversations, and stripping them of the necessary information?

Having this documentation, and readily posting it for all to see somewhere (and in your social media outlets) will go a long way in educating the general passersby as to the lead differences, pluses / minuses of each, which will not only cut down on the nonsensical arguments that I'm sure will live throughout the lifespan of this Web site, but help people get into the details of the game, and encourage them to recommit themselves to it, and by doing so, the community here.

Edited by MaynardGKrebs

First off Segathon, your site and live events are awesome.

I actually found your site before I found this one.

Season mode in 95 was awesome. I played it a ton when it came out but did eventually go back to 93.

I also loved the awards ceremony at the end.

Your site and Live events inspired us to start Retrothons in 2009.

A combination of Tecmo and Nhlpa 93. We even have added RBI Baseball and NBA Jams.

www.oldtimevideogamesports.webs.com

About online play and desynchs.

Your problem may be the Season Mode.

We use to have problems with Tecmo Super Bowl desynchs because the roms would be slightly different because one guy would have a season going or had changed a play and that would make the roms "different" hence causing the desynch. If both players just make sure to reset the rom completely (done in Tecmo on the season schedule page) then it solved our problem. I don't know if that would help your 95 online play or not but it is worth atry.

Guest John Smith

Hey gang, I go by Maynard_G_Krebs. I spend most of my time over at TecmoBowl.org. I did the graphics and gameplay updates for our TSB 2013 release.

With the NHL lockout finally concluded, I was interested to see if anyone posted an updated ROM file here at NHL94.com. Sure enough, I found one in the forums here. Good times.

I'm a total noob when it comes to discussion about the NHL series, so if this information is posted somewhere, please forgive me.

What are the major differences between NHL 93 & 94, other than fighting ('93) and one-timers ('94)? ANd for that matter, what about NHL '95? I never played that one, but can remember it being universally panned in comparison. I'm curious, because I always seemed to enjoy the '93 game more. Weight feels different. Hits feel different. And obviously, I love the fighting option in '93.

Clearly, I'm going to assume that people's preferred version here is the '94 version. Can someone explain to me why that is? What are the main differences that make people on the whole prefer the '94 version?

Mucho thanks!

93 is more fun to play than 94, features aside. Better gameplay and game engine, fighting and blood aside.