NHL'94 Forums

Upset Central: QUE edges out BOS in SNES-B

chaos

With their team just barely making the playoffs on a tiebreaker, Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin knew they had to step it up against the likes of the best team in the league and play some mistake-free hockey. Boston went into the playoffs with only 9 regular season losses and BOS had a 5-1 Head-to-Head record in the regular season.

But this is playoff hockey. Things change.

So step up they did. After winning the first 2 games in Boston, the Nordiques were dreaming of a sweep when the series went back to Quebec. But then the mistakes began. They few behind quickly in the first period 4-0 in both games. Boston took the first one. QUE came back with 5 straight goals in Game 4 and won it in a nail-biter, 6-5. With a 3-1 series lead going back to Boston, they were ready to finish them off.

But, Ray Bourque, Adam Oates, Cam Neely and company struck back. Game 5 was won in convincing fashion 6-3. Quebec was reeling. Too many dumb mistakes, and Boston was taking advantage of every one of them. Game 6 was a defensive struggle, with the score 1-1 going into the 3rd period. That's when Boston turned on the jets and took off with 3 straight goals, embarrassing Quebec on home ice.

Game 7 went back to Boston. Win or go home. 2 quick tripping calls on Duchesne and Leschyshyn and it looked like Boston was taking this one as well.

The offense decided now was the time to step up. Quebec took a commanding 6-2 lead and the defense clamped down on the high-scoring Bruins, knocking Andy Moog out of the net, and held up against the onslaught to win Game 7, 6-4.

Great series against Pondhcky! Home ice a non-factor in this one, each team only winning 1 game at home.

I'd feel pretty miserable too if I lose a series lead. It's too hard for me to accept such a collapse on strokes to luck or some other stuff and it's too hard to accept for me.

I'd feel pretty miserable too if I lose a series lead. It's too hard for me to accept such a collapse on strokes to luck or some other stuff and it's too hard to accept for me.

why do you always sound like you'll off yourself if you lose your next game?

oh man! good series chaos! i woke up this morning hoping it was all a bad dream. Quebec's defense was the factor.I have a lot of excuses and a lot of blame to pin on the team, but as the coach i'll say it starts with me. Just seems this is not the year for Boston in game 7's. Oh well, back to exhibitions and waiting for the next season.