NHL'94 Forums

My 1st NHL 94 Classic season

Hello NHL 94 Fanatics.

I want to take the time to reflect on this NHL Classic season of Gens B1.

I really enjoyed it. Even though I sucked balls on it. I learned allot about the game. I thought that i knew that game like a book, But I was wrong.

There was stuff shown to me by some of the players that I never thought it was possible on the game. This game is more well designed then people give it credit for.

Usually I would do the ol' right to left juke on a breakaway from from left or right post position. The goalie would fall for it all the time as auto goalie BUT with Manual Goalie Everyone knew that so well which is why I believe I lost so many games. I was so predictable and I plus the one timers weren't working for me. I only won 6 games and that is not good enough for me. I broke my controller because of this season. I guess I get really emotional about a loss. (27 Loses to be exact)

I do though have some opinions with the rules and settings to the game.

1. 10 Minute Periods - The game goes too fast. which makes the season go fast. I know that some people wants to finish right away but dosent that defeat the purpose of playing this game?

I mean I want to play this game with the other person but it ends too fast. If people don't want to play this for a long period of time then you shouldn't be playing this league in the 1st place.

Any one who really devotes themselves tho the season will play these games (All 40 of them) and play them at 10 minutes a period. That's just my opinion.

2. Offsides - Come on Dude! Really? How much of a Hockey Fan are you guys?I am from California and Mexican American you really think at 1st I really understood the rule of "Offsides"?

Of course not. I had to learn the hard way like everyone else.Thats how i knew how to play real fundamental hockey up in San Diego when I was 20. The fact of the matter is that these game get easily won because of the long pass to a player giving him a chance to score easily on the Goalie. I believe anyone who really wants to play this game (Especially NHL 94) should play with offsides.

3. "Last but not Least" ...

Players that don't show up on Aim or answer emails - Man! I have 5 games that were never played because they never answered me or coordinated with me to play those games.

I din't matter to my record because I still had a losing season but I don't want to be the one that only played 35 games.

If you're going to want to play this next season, COMMIT yourself.

To the Commissioners - Loved this season. Please let me know when I can join the next up and coming season. Hopefully there will more teams to play.

And Thats\'s the BOTTOM LINE!

Cause StoneColdeap SAID SO!

Not really disagreeing, just counterpoints..

1. 10 Minute Periods - The game goes too fast. which makes the season go fast. I know that some people wants to finish right away but dosent that defeat the purpose of playing this game?

I mean I want to play this game with the other person but it ends too fast. If people don't want to play this for a long period of time then you shouldn't be playing this league in the 1st place.

Any one who really devotes themselves tho the season will play these games (All 40 of them) and play them at 10 minutes a period. That's just my opinion.

With a longer game, there is more chance for a desynch.

It's easy enough to lose 8-2 with 5-minute periods. Might get more quitters when the score hits 10+ a large percentage of the time.

The first league I played in had 7-minute periods, which wasn't bad... although the goalies in that league were all 90+, so it was tough to run up the score.

2. Offsides - Come on Dude! Really? How much of a Hockey Fan are you guys?I am from California and Mexican American you really think at 1st I really understood the rule of "Offsides"?

Of course not. I had to learn the hard way like everyone else.Thats how i knew how to play real fundamental hockey up in San Diego when I was 20. The fact of the matter is that these game get easily won because of the long pass to a player giving him a chance to score easily on the Goalie. I believe anyone who really wants to play this game (Especially NHL 94) should play with offsides.

Offsides get annoying because your players aren't very smart, and you go offside several times per period, so it just feels like a waste of time. Also, it's frustrating making a pass to the winger ahead of you, but he goes into the zone a smidge before the puck gets to him.

But yeah it's kind of cheap to lose zone control, but regain the puck and lob a pass towards a straggler in the zone for an easy onetimer goal.

--

And yeah, everyone seems to come on here thinking they are amazing, but should realize that some players here have been playing online against dozens of different people for 5+ years. That's a lot of time to learn new tricks! So if new guys have trouble competing with the veterans, take heart, it just takes experience to get better.. I'm sure I could smoke 2006 me every game.

LoL. It's getting funny with all the new guys ranting.

Honestly, if we don't play some mode it's probably for a reason. We've been around long enough to have tried everything.

Offsides suck ass. Unless you play with line changes on modified roms.

offside calls are awesome. keeps you from zooming a guy at my goaltender and then sending him a pass. it's a rule, like in the game of hockey. are you familiar with the game? I prefer fatigue, manual everything, offsides and twenty-minute periods, but I'm sure all of that is negated by my lack of participation in your leagues. you like quick games and players that don't ever tire and free-for-all rules? try NHL Hits or Blades Of Steel or something. the best part of NHL '94 is that the control allowed simulates hockey games quite well. off options are for new players and those that can't be bothered to grow any skills.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Like I said I thought I knew how to play this game only to realize that I am a noobie.

But I still believe their should be just a little longer periods and at least more games on the schedule.

Ethier way I enjoyed playing. I am still going against Onetimer (QUE) for the second round of the pitty playoffs.

Can't wait for next season.

you like quick games and players that don't ever tire and free-for-all rules? try NHL Hits or Blades Of Steel or something.

How about I try NHL'94 with the options off? :P

you could (you have the right to be wrong), but please don't insist that you've tried it all and that on options "suck ass." offsides off is a rookie choice.

Thanks Trudatman!

I appreciate that someone sees my point. I have been playing this game since I was 15.

And even then I had to learn the offsides and manual goalie.

Yo Russian Rocket!

Trudatman is right about the game. There is a reason why nobody is playing NES Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel anymore.

I am not saying that you're point isn't valid. You obviously have been in this league longer than we have BUT it dosent excuse the fact that we are playing "NES mode" I will guarantee you that a majority of us understand the game with all the settings. Maybe you and the league don't really want try. You probably have a set routine on how to attack based on the settings off which probably makes really good.

Hey I won 6 games with settings off. Yeah it was a sucky season for me but I know I will get better. But I prefer with all the settings because ever since I first bought this back in 93' I played with all the settings.

despite what may be implied in those font size choices, Zalex loves me.

Stonecoldleap:`I've played in the Finnish leagues and made the playoffs on those rules.

Stop acting like it's new s**t. It's getting annoying. If you want, i'l kick your ass on those rules tomorrow.

Trudatman: You're playing against the computer you dick. You're the one on n00b mode.

I play against people, too. just because I don't choose to play onlag doesn't mean I only play against the computer. I have friends and an open-door policy when it comes to gaming. you are free to drop by for a loss if you find yourself in 02760.

Offsides are.. ok..

I played in an Offsides On league before, and of the things I miss about that league, offsides is not very high on the list....

One thing to remember, is that the AI players don't purposely exploit the fact that offsides are off -- they play the same no matter if offsides are on or off (just the ref plays differently).

If you do leave the zone for a moment, your players will leave the zone -- even with offsides off -- so you're still punished if you aren't careful near the blueline (something I need to be careful about since I like to pass to my D when I get in trouble in the offensive zone).

Given those, for me, I don't find offsides add enough to the game to bother with for everyone in a league. It's a minor thing that adds extra whistles to the game, 80% of the time due to your dumb AI wingers going 3 pixels offside on the rush. I agree with FPB: offsides are ok with line changes on (the game's a bit slower, and the whistles give you chances to change your lines), but with line changes off, all it really does is add downtime to the game.

I love how trudat accuses everyone of being a rookie, when he's the one who never plays online or in these leagues. He also likes 20 minute periods (that's 40 minutes for a game, real-time!) with all his players at 0 skill, so it's not a surprise that he doesn't mind an even slower game.. maybe I can add a "wait 5 minutes for the zamboni between periods ON" mode...

Anyway, nothing more I can add about offsides.. They're all right, just not my bag. There will be other offsides ON leagues to play in some day.

I did well in tournaments in college, too. these leagues aren't the be all. added Zamboni waits! classic.

any way, offsides off is like having cheating on. the only way I could see it getting out of hand is if somebody is particularly good at holding your players offside (which will end up getting whistled, occasionally) or knocking them down in the zone before the puck gets there, but I would welcome the challenge added by such a strategy being employed against me. in my experience (plentiful, despite your doubts), such a strategy is quite difficult to maintain throughout a game, but when somebody can actually pull it off, I love the increased difficulty. for those of you that do not understand that a large component to ninety-flow is talking shit, I invite you away from the computer and toward a real, tangible, audible human opponent. I'm a fucking dick and I'm a troll that won't play onlag.... fine. when I get a real, hard-wired, reliable connection going, I will join your games (SNES, offsides on, fatigue on, all options manual, whichever length). until then, expect more of the same. I think a major difference between myself and those that love to hate me is that I quite enjoy losing. it's hard to do and the challenge of a good opponent is appreciated. if such attitudes bother you, I invite you to get better.

Edited by trudatman

Oh really? Why don't you sign on to an actual league and prove yourself against everyone? All you do here is nothing but talk, man. It's getting to the point that it's nothing more than 'lolwhut' and since you're just refusing to try and do so (Even with SNES leagues), it's the same as not doing anything at all and never even bothering to try. Do or do not, there is no try.

high PING as usual, I see....

it's a connection issue. I have trouble keeping streams running through the wireless connection, so I can't imagine I would enjoy de-syncing and the battles it clearly causes (you provide the example, I believe). what I have going on now is fine. I have friends that play in person and my Internet connection is fine for what I use it for. it's free (silly neighbors), so I don't foresee justifying buying a real connection, but if/when I do, I will play in the SNES leagues. until then, get riled up about my presence! it's fun, right?

2. Offsides -

3. "Last but not Least" ...

Players that don't show up on Aim or answer emails

1) I was confused at first when I read 10 minute periods being fast. I think you meant to type 5, either way, I understand your point.

2) Offsides- It definitely brings a different approach to the game, but this game is just more ENJOYABLE with offsides off. With it on, it's still fun, but you are limiting your skills.

3) no responses on AIM- dude, don't even get me started on that. You're not alone. I've learned to take this site at face value. Don't let it get to you as it did me in the beginning, now I don't give a f**k. Some guys here see it as making a point to be an a**hole than contribute to your suggestions. 1 message from me on AIM and that's that from now on. If it gets lost in outer space, oh well. Some guys just don't understand common courtesy for whatever reason.

With a longer game, there is more chance for a desynch.

I've never thought of that. Good point.

smoz hit the nail on the head. THE AI DOES NOT EXPLOIT OFFSIDES ON-OFF. This means that if they go in offsides, they go back and tag up even if ur in the zone. if the puck leaves the zone, they retreat. If people played with 2 users 5v5, then there could be an argument that offsides adds something. And trudatman, I wouldn't be suprised if your other hobbies were watching paint dry and having your pet snails race. 20 minute periods with players rated 0?? the beer league rom was enough to make me want to kill myself, and those were only 7 minute periods with terrible players.

LoL. It's getting funny with all the new guys ranting.

Honestly, if we don't play some mode it's probably for a reason. We've been around long enough to have tried everything.

Offsides suck ass. Unless you play with line changes on modified roms.

my point exactly.

How dare you stonecold say your opinion on this communist site! what are you thinking!? offsides sucks ass and that's that. your a new guy, just like me, we need to just shut the f**k up and not type anything on here unless we run it past the alpha dogs on here first. If Beavers and Benedict Arnold and Zalex say so, then it's ok. until then. they run the show. trudatman, shut the f**k up too. you don't play online and I don't respect that either! don't type anything anymore. If you do, I definitely will try really hard to cut you down to size instead of respecting your comment and contributing to this site.

No, the only FUNNY people on here are the old dogs in charge with 1,000 post counts, not the new guys who are making a simple threads to improve this site. Kiss my monkey ass.

lol Trudatman is just someone with a signifigant inferiority complex in one aspect of his life or another. He enjoys the attention, albeit negative 99% of time, he receives here. I'm thinking he doesn't get enough attention in the real world.

I agree with FPB, line changes are fun only when full on rules are applied. Swos held his FinCup league and I had a blast playing it. But with line changes off its just plain boring and frustrating.

And honestly, who cares how good trudatman is or says he is. If he was anything special he would've tried to win some leagues. So hence he is and always will be a blow hard bag of wind :)

ha! yeah, surely if I was any good, I'd try to prove it by joining your leagues, de-syncing often and posting scores that don't match what you saw on your end. that'd be awesome, right? clown shoes, most. inferiority complex? negative attention seeking? nope, I just love the game and discussing it here. as far as the scrubs ROM, I made that for playing versus the computer, as the added challenge of having terrible players makes it possible to lose against the computer while trying my hardest to win. obviously I'd rather play against real people. I prefer playing against somebody better than me, but those are hard to come by. I do see the draw to online play, but I do not think it would be worth the eventual de-syncing issues. you can all think I never play real people, but my lack of participation in your leagues does not make it so.

my point exactly.

If Beavers and Benedict Arnold and Zalex say so, then it's ok. until then. they run the show.

the only time i ever said anything to you was in a thread that was obviously not well received by anybody. i still believe that new guys need not voice their opinions as often as the 2011 class has. these ideas have been beaten to death and like fpb said, there's a reason the leagues are the way they are.

like others have said, there will be other leagues with 7 min periods, offsides on, and line changes (fincup). if you guys want to start new leagues with your favorite rules, go ahead, i'll probably join, but classic is just fine.

my point exactly.

How dare you stonecold say your opinion on this communist site! what are you thinking!? offsides sucks ass and that's that. your a new guy, just like me, we need to just shut the f**k up and not type anything on here unless we run it past the alpha dogs on here first. If Beavers and Benedict Arnold and Zalex say so, then it's ok. until then. they run the show. trudatman, shut the f**k up too. you don't play online and I don't respect that either! don't type anything anymore. If you do, I definitely will try really hard to cut you down to size instead of respecting your comment and contributing to this site.

No, the only FUNNY people on here are the old dogs in charge with 1,000 post counts, not the new guys who are making a simple threads to improve this site. Kiss my monkey ass.

Have to agree. Being another newbie here it does seem sometimes like if your opinion doesn't fit with the right people you shouldn't be saying anything. Trudatman gets a savaging everytime he posts something due to the fact he doesn't play online games. He's just giving an opinion about a game he loves. Why shouldn't he?

I happen to like playing offsides, because it's a part of the game, but also I see the other side of the argument - players are dumb & really u need to be playing line-changes or everything gets slowed down. I can see both sides of the argument, but i'm going to say one's right & one's wrong. All I can do is give my opinion. I'm currently playing a small online tournament with a few friends & we play full line changes & offsides, 5 minute periods. There are no more desynching issues than regularly popped up during the Classic season & for me I enjoy it much more than offsides off & no fatigue - Chicago need much more of a game plan than "give it to Roenick" if he's on the bench recovering half the game.

But that's just my opinion so i'm not going to slate anybody that thinks differently. Like I said, i'd prefer a league with line changes & offsides, but I understand the logic of the opposite & am happy to play like that too.

I just think we're all here 'cos we love this game. Anyone that wants to come here to add to this community & keep this wonderful game alive should be embraced & not jumped upon just because their opinion is different to yours. It's a big wide world & we're all a little different aren't we? Until there's a code of conduct up on this site that says "All members must accept that offsides off & no fatigue is the best way to play" anyone should feel free to say different if that's not their opinion & they feel like they've got a good reason for it........or even if they don't!

I personally am all for line changes. I think that creates a more strategic and more challenging game. I agree that offsides is just annoying. As another new member, I've never had an issue personally with the vets putting me down, but then again I never really gave an opinion on these forums as I'm usually not one to publically state my take on things. I played my games, got my butt whooped, and moved on. Not creating any kind of excuses for that, but I am all in favor line changes being a part of the game in the future. Overall, I loved playing this season and will be back whenever another season begins. Hopefully improved and with a better team. To all still playing, good luck.

a lot of the issues folks have with me stem from my comments about Genesissies. I appreciate the love, but I understand the hate, too.

I think that one day we may have to experience such a league with 10-minute periods and line changes as an experiment. Though if we are going to do that someday, I'd suggest Smoz's 94 rom because it doesn't have the weight bug and the rest of the lines will be hampered because they're full of fatties that will do more harm than good, thus forcing us to double or even triple shift the best and the lightest and it'll drain their energy rather fast.

I believe xot82 will make such an experiment with the SNES version pretty soon.

Edited by RedWingDevil