NHL'94 Forums

Angryjay 93: Youtube Channel Updates

Hey Everybody, I've created some new content (2 videos) on my Youtube channel and wanted to share for anyone who is interested.

The first video which I have below is Part 1 of my most recent content. It has a brief introduction of myself and why I'm starting a channel. There will be more to come regarding myself but this video does a good job of starting to paint that picture. Also, I started a cup run with San Jose that is more unique from the typical cup run against the computer. In short, I attempt to use every player on the San Jose roster for one game with a twist at the end...I pull the goalie in the Stanley Cup Final and try to win without one. 

The second video has me breaking down the San Jose Sharks (Sega Version) team strategy/roster. I think I got a little carried away with how much time I spent on the team as this video runs a bit long but I figured if I have too much material it will be easier to focus on cutting things out rather than finding a way to elaborate more. Anyways, all the info on San Jose is there and I hope to do something like this for all the teams before we head off to Vancouver for King of 94 III. Also, after I breakdown SJ I complete my cup run which has a pretty tense finish at the end.

Please don't be afraid to leave questions or comments whether it be here or on the youtube videos. I really want/need the feedback to help me produce better content for us. I really want to build the hype and draw more people to our events later this year and hope enough people here feel the same about that. 

I'm going to do my best to continue to produce these videos and will keep the community up to date as they are released!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just want to give a little bit of an update here since I haven't posted anything new in about 10 days now.

I'm starting to work on a beginner series to be paired up with King of 94 III signups which should be announced in the upcoming weeks. I'm going to direct these videos more towards our newer people on the forums and people signing up for their first live tournament. The first video of this series should be ready to go up tonight or tomorrow.

I'm also working on my team breakdowns as well, I hope to have a new one up within a week and it should be much shorter in duration. I'm aiming for about 20-25 minutes in duration. I'm not looking to whittle down on content, I just want to be more efficient with it is all.

Once the next video goes up, I'll be sure to share it on the website for all to see.

Edited by angryjay93
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

I just posted my newest video on youtube. It's the first video in my beginner series where I explain some of the finer points of NHL '94 that newer people may not know. These videos are directed towards newer people but vets are also encouraged to watch and contribute if they like.

I'm still working on my Team breakdowns for GENS and will hopefully be able to record my video for Boston over the weekend. The script is ready to go, I just need to shoot footage.

• Like 2

Bit of technical/presentation feedback... Haven't had time to watch the videos fully yet sorry.

I don't know if it's intentional or has some meaning, but I think the big Jagr & Stevens text needs to be removed, it's visually distracting. Looks like a title for the video.

The game video is stretched to widescreen, but should be more like the original 4:3 ratio. So I'd recommend making the screen more like some of the streams from other events, where the game video is 4:3 and fills more of the screen vertically, and then the facecam video is beside the game video instead of above it. (You can crop the facecam video to also be 4:3 if you want it to be bigger/taller)

I recommend getting a microphone to improve audio quality. The one that Troy and Halifax use is the Samson Meteor, which is small and folds up nicely (for transport to tourneys): https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Meteor-Studio-Microphone-Chrome/dp/B004MF39YS

On 6/21/2018 at 8:12 AM, smozoma said:

Bit of technical/presentation feedback... Haven't had time to watch the videos fully yet sorry.

I don't know if it's intentional or has some meaning, but I think the big Jagr & Stevens text needs to be removed, it's visually distracting. Looks like a title for the video.

The game video is stretched to widescreen, but should be more like the original 4:3 ratio. So I'd recommend making the screen more like some of the streams from other events, where the game video is 4:3 and fills more of the screen vertically, and then the facecam video is beside the game video instead of above it. (You can crop the facecam video to also be 4:3 if you want it to be bigger/taller)

I recommend getting a microphone to improve audio quality. The one that Troy and Halifax use is the Samson Meteor, which is small and folds up nicely (for transport to tourneys): https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Meteor-Studio-Microphone-Chrome/dp/B004MF39YS

Thank you for the feedback Smoz, the items you pointed out are certainly some of the things I really want to work on and make better.

I'm working on getting a more specialized overlay that should present a much cleaner looking product overall.

I'm not quite sure how to achieve the 4:3 ratio with the game video or face cam but we can take that conversation off forum if needed to help make that process more clear to me. 

Space for me is indeed limited as I don't have a dedicated area in which to complete my work, something small and portable like you mentioned could be perfect for me. The sound is an issue that has been brought up a few times already and I do want to find a solution to this issue.

Within the next month I hope to have a lot of this figured out and I really do appreciate the help here.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:12 AM, smozoma said:

This one looks more compact, half the price and good ratings - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R76D42/ref=psdc_11974651_t1_B004MF39YS. Either way I agree with Smoz on all points. Plus, isn't that an SNES screenshot for the background? ;)

@angryjay93, what software are you using to do this? OBS?

35 minutes ago, chaos said:

This one looks more compact, half the price and good ratings - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R76D42/ref=psdc_11974651_t1_B004MF39YS. Either way I agree with Smoz on all points. Plus, isn't that an SNES screenshot for the background? ;)

@angryjay93, what software are you using to do this? OBS?

I like the mic recommendation Chaos, now I have some pretty obvious options. 

Yes, I'm using OBS, still pretty new to it.

Do you have Windows 10? If so, use press the windows key and G simultaneously in order to activate the Game DVR. Click "Yes, this is a game". Finally, begin recording and it should record smoothly. Finally, put it in OBS and add your overlays. 

6 hours ago, angryjay93 said:

I like the mic recommendation Chaos, now I have some pretty obvious options. 

Yes, I'm using OBS, still pretty new to it.

I downloaded it, can't get Gens to look good in it. Game Capture doesnt seem to work with it (does with RetroArch), so I used Window Capture, but it looks like it cuts off some of the Gens window (the right 1/5th of the screen stays frozen). How are you setting it up?

I noticed best way to get 4:3 video, it go into Gens, go to Graphic->Render and choose Double. This should be a decent size. You can then scale it in OBS if needed.

6 hours ago, Blake said:

I might need help setting up OBS. I can't find any good settings for it

@Blake this video is quick and pretty good.  It seems to be pretty straightforward software. Obviously to get a nice background you'll have to get some images.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I just posted a new video today talking about the CB check. It's short but hopefully informative. 

Things I've Been Working On:

- The audio should be better as i picked up a mic recently. I still need to fine tune how things sound but I'm kind of tone deaf. Feel free to provide any feedback.

- I think the game footage should be closer to 4:3 and be easier on the eyes.

Things I'm getting around too soon:

- I'm having someone work on a background for the stream. This should help with the layout considerably.

- I need to reshape the webcam so that it's a bit easier to view

- The lighting is still a work in progress. 

It's been difficult fine tuning this as I still have a spot to consistently film from. I think once I figure that out and the background situation then the presentation should be more up to snuff. Right now I'm just trying to build good habits (putting in the work to create content) and relying on the quality of the information.

Again, I'm open to feedback and am hoping I can continue to improve at this as I start to dive into the team Breakdowns pretty soon here.

Looks good

For videos like the CB video, I'd try to set it up as a "show, then tell" video. Quickly show what you can do at the start of the video (maybe use a couple savestate instant replays in the emulator), then explain how to do it, and why it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest video, I think it will be the final one before I get into team breakdowns. I realized it would be  important to talk about what the attributes and ratings mean in the game before I go in depth talking it for every team. This is again directed more towards people looking to obtain a greater understanding of the game in general. 

Any and all feedback is welcome. Enjoy!

• Like 2

I definitely agree with you on what off/def awr actually is. You can see a difference in how smart players are in my current ROM updates vs. classic, where players on average have +1 higher off/def awr.