NHL'94 Forums

I'm going to pick Chicago next year

puffchuggo

kgboy beat me 8-4 and Lemeuix had 6 or 7 goals.

I dont mind losing but this is complete bullshit and very annoying. Its one thing when you lose because you have less talent but another when get beat because the opposing team has a player wearing a Superman cape.

f**k this. Last year I lost when Gretzky went hog wild, and now this Mario bullshit. I've tried to play it "fair" by picking average teams but less talented players are exploiting the current system of being able to pick any team. What team you get does matter and you cant judge who the true champion really is when you have a guy playing an all star team vs a team of average joe nobodies.

Mabye I wont pick Chicago but I'm going to pick a team with superstars next season, ala Boston, Calgary, LA, Chicago, or Detroit. Lets see how other players like it when Lemeuix, Gretzky, and Yzerman run hog wild and run up the score.

I dont even want to hear about kgboys record because nobody was trying at all this season. Whats the point of going all out in the regular season when every team is going to make it anyway? I've played kgboy before and knew his 15-25 record was complete bull. He wasnt even trying or giving a half ass effort because he's way better than that.

It'll never happen, but there should one designated team for every player in this league. This crap of Roenick, Lemeuix, and Gretzky carrying weaker players should stop. And whats even worse is when GOOD players pick these absurdly talented teams. At the very least, every player should be able to decide what team they pick (i.e. if Pittsburgh is picked, another player can still pick Pittsburgh, so youd have 2 Pittsburgh teams).

KGMAN owns me, but I give him a lot of credit. He owns me with talent, and not by picking a f**king all-star team. I can live with that, but losing because Lemeuix scores 10 f**king goals, wont get knocked down and is flying down the ice like Superman on cocaine is hard to swallow. Its bullshit.

Next season I'm gonna pick Roenick, half ass the regular season, and open up a can of whoop ass in the playoffs as the 8th seed. Basically what kgboy is doing now. And I'm not blaming kgboy either. Hes taking advantage of the way the system is set up. Thats his right. Next season I'm going to do the same. Tired of this s**t.

P.S. this is cr0ssbar under my new name for next season.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll never happen, but there should one designated team for every player in this league. This crap of Roenick, Lemeuix, and Gretzky carrying weaker players should stop. And whats even worse is when GOOD players pick these absurdly talented teams.

If Chicago, Pittsburgh and LA can't be played by weaker players, and can't be played by good players, maybe we should just ban them from the league entirely. We could make up a list of the teams that are the most unfair to play against, vote as a league and nobody (weak or good) gets to pick the top 5-10 teams or so.

Guest BSDaemon

You don't mind losing? Then why did you write a big wall of text complaining about how much you mind losing? :lol:

People really need to stop with this "I'm going to post and make an ass of myself because I'm a sore loser and can't accept getting beaten" crap. :D

Next season I'm gonna pick Roenick, half ass the regular season, and open up a can of whoop ass in the playoffs as the 8th seed. Basically what kgboy is doing now. And I'm not blaming kgboy either. Hes taking advantage of the way the system is set up. Thats his right. Next season I'm going to do the same. Tired of this s**t.

You half ass the season, and I doubt you'll be playing long. We don't need that s**t in our league. ;)

If Chicago, Pittsburgh and LA can't be played by weaker players, and can't be played by good players, maybe we should just ban them from the league entirely. We could make up a list of the teams that are the most unfair to play against, vote as a league and nobody (weak or good) gets to pick the top 5-10 teams or so.

That could be a good idea.

As it is the current system is flawed because you dont really know who the best player is.

If everyone picked one team (or as you said, at the very least eliminate the obscene teams), there would be no excuse.

MLB needs a salary cap the way this league needs a team cap. I think Evan does a great job and is a great guy dont get me wrong. Just venting my opinion thats all. I'm only 1 guy, so its not like I expect him to just do whatever I say. I mean who am I? But I think we should vote on it.

dude 1 player doesn't beat u, if they do then u need to practice your defense...i love pitt because lemieux is my favorite player and my friends actually banned them for me before but none of them would win with them...some people find a team they are good with ie look at quebec in the snes league, they guy is just a solid player, i actually did better with the rangers last year....so i dont think u can say 1 player can beat u, would be more like kgboy beat u using 1 player that u could not stop and lemieux will def go down, he is elusive but does not have near the speed of other top players so he is pretty easy to hit...

LA are a better team than the game says. I'm usually good with Chicago, but LA just murder me.

Pittsburgh, though, aren't really that good. Aside from Mario and Jagr, they're average. I usually just key on Mario and Jagr. Last time I played someone who used Pittsburgh, I beat them 6-2 with Chicago.

Common Crossbar, give Kgboy some credit. Lemeuix falls down when your breathe on em. Easily the most overrated player in the game.

It's the playoffs. They say anything can happen.

Roenick also falls down when you breathe on him. I've seen GRETZKY lay Roenick out.

Guest BSDaemon
LA are a better team than the game says. I'm usually good with Chicago, but LA just murder me.

Tell me about it... LA always beats me when I play as Chicago... no matter who the coach is. LA just has Chicagos number lol. Meh. ;):lol:

Roenick also falls down when you breathe on him. I've seen GRETZKY lay Roenick out.

It's true!! :D

Common Crossbar, give Kgboy some credit. Lemeuix falls down when your breathe on em. Easily the most overrated player in the game.

It's the playoffs. They say anything can happen.

I am giving kgboy credit. Hes a great player, and he has an all star team.

I wouldnt know if Lemeuix falls down easy because he was way too fast for any of my guys to catch. Thats why I'm picking a superstar team next season.

Its not just Lemeuix. Look at that lineup! Its sick! Now look at Washington. ugh.

Look I admit I'm a little po'd right now. I mean no offense to anyone. I just think the system could be better, thats all. You have to admit the team you pick affects your chances of winning. Dont you think a system of one team would be better? Or like Adison said, at least eliminate "the all star teams"?

Pittsburgh, though, aren't really that good. Aside from Mario and Jagr, they're average. I usually just key on Mario and Jagr. Last time I played someone who used Pittsburgh, I beat them 6-2 with Chicago.

When you play as Chicago, any team doesnt seem that good.

Lemeuix is one of the highest rated players in the game and is a monster.

Guest BSDaemon
I am giving kgboy credit. Hes a great player, and he has an all star team.

I wouldnt know if Lemeuix falls down easy because he was way too fast for any of my guys to catch. Thats why I'm picking a superstar team next season.

Its not just Lemeuix. Look at that lineup! Its sick! Now look at Washington. ugh.

Look I admit I'm a little po'd right now. I mean no offense to anyone. I just think the system could be better, thats all. You have to admit the team you pick affects your chances of winning. Dont you think a system of one team would be better? Or like Adison said, at least eliminate "the all star teams"?

Theres nothing wrong with the system.... just don't pick shitty teams. :D

I have to say I apologize if this sounds like sour grapes. kgboy beat me fairly, under the current system this league has.

My only gripe is, in my opinion, the current system isn't fair in terms of finding out who the best player really is.

Thats basically all I'm saying and if you disagree I respect that. OK just so everyone knows I respect your opinions please dont bash me. I should not have posted the title in a flaming manner I'm sorry for that. :D

dude 1 player doesn't beat u, if they do then u need to practice your defense...i love pitt because lemieux is my favorite player and my friends actually banned them for me before but none of them would win with them...some people find a team they are good with ie look at quebec in the snes league, they guy is just a solid player, i actually did better with the rangers last year....so i dont think u can say 1 player can beat u, would be more like kgboy beat u using 1 player that u could not stop and lemieux will def go down, he is elusive but does not have near the speed of other top players so he is pretty easy to hit...

All I'm saying is we will never know who is truly the best player when one player has an all star team and the other has an average team.

I think your argument works ok in the regular season. The problem is, in the playoffs, players "jack up" their level of play.

My defense is fine. My record is solid. This is more a case of losing to an all star team controlled by a good player. When an all star player gets hot, the best defense in the world is not going to stop him. Thats why I say the system should change. Then we'd know who the best really is.

Next season we're drafting teams in reverse standings order, aren't we? It'll balance out over a couple seasons, and you'll probably come out on top by being good with bad teams. Washington and SJ are hardly 'average' teams :D

Maybe we can make the team picking order a little random, like the entry draft for the NHL, so people get some variety, season after season. Teams up from B get the best chances to get an early pick. The worse your regular season record, you earlier you pick. To discourage throwing games during the season, your playoff performance would also affect your team draft position.

Pittsburgh isn't that tough if you check them a lot. I didn't make the playoffs and I had a 2-2 record against kgboy (total goals, 15-14 for kgboy), and when I won the two games, I was challenging for a playoff spot, so you can't say he wasn't trying. I wouldn't even say Pittsburgh is one of the top 5 teams. You can bully them, unlike teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Montreal, Calgary, and even Quebec...

The only team I would consider banning is Chicago, since they have the best player and the best goalie (arguably). But.. why not let someone who finished poorly the last season have a fun season : ). Just say that Chicago has to be picked in the top 5 or not at all.

I'm just going to throw my two cents in here:

We've had 3 leagues now, and it seems to me the consensus is no one player is going to make or break a team. If you gave up 7 goals to Lemieux, it most likely boils down to your defense. Kgboy found a weakness in your play, and exploited it with his center iceman. Yes Lemieux is a great player, but I'm sure he could've put in at least 5 of those goals with Ron Francis at C.

Practice on your defense; pick up tips from veteran players, an adjust your style of play. That is the only way to survive against some of the more cunning of coaches this community provides.

p.s. Get over the idea of the "cheap goal." Every style of scoring is defendable.

Look, i disagree with all of this. Complaining that someone has an all-star player is an argument that may very well never stop. Ok, so lets say we take out Lemieux, Roenick, Selanne, what have you. Then the next tier of best players will dominate a league in this theory and then those players like Gilmour, Mogilny, Yzerman, will all be eliminated. Continuing down that slipper slope will bring us down to guys like Brian Bradley because he just domiantes Guy Hebert too easily. All i can say is suck it up, Washington has a good defense in Iafrate and Hatcher and they have some speed with Bondra and scoring ability in Bondra and Ridley. A sound defense can stop Lemieux and Jagr. Limit skating room, check better, hold, hook, dump the puck, play a different style, whatever needs to be done.

Complaining on the forum after getting hit up for ONE loss is no way to get any sort of respect. You get respect by playing the games and finding ways to win, not by saying you'll pick Roenick next season on purpose or whoever else youd want. Some guys get lucky with a good team, but all you can do is work with what you have and adjust to the opponent, everyone can be stopped or else they would be undefeated.

Next season we're drafting teams in reverse standings order, aren't we? It'll balance out over a couple seasons, and you'll probably come out on top by being good with bad teams. Washington and SJ are hardly 'average' teams :D

Maybe we can make the team picking order a little random, like the entry draft for the NHL, so people get some variety, season after season. Teams up from B get the best chances to get an early pick. The worse your regular season record, you earlier you pick. To discourage throwing games during the season, your playoff performance would also affect your team draft position.

Pittsburgh isn't that tough if you check them a lot. I didn't make the playoffs and I had a 2-2 record against kgboy (total goals, 15-14 for kgboy), and when I won the two games, I was challenging for a playoff spot, so you can't say he wasn't trying. I wouldn't even say Pittsburgh is one of the top 5 teams. You can bully them, unlike teams like Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Montreal, Calgary, and even Quebec...

The only team I would consider banning is Chicago, since they have the best player and the best goalie (arguably). But.. why not let someone who finished poorly the last season have a fun season : ). Just say that Chicago has to be picked in the top 5 or not at all.

San Jose are underrated. The AI works wonders with them. However, the worst team IS Ottawa, and the champion from last year should be stuck with Ottawa if we do draft.

If we don't, I'm going to be making sure I'm one of the first to register so I get Chicago. Unlike most, I practice with them sometimes and can actually use the TEAM. Chicago are good for anyone, but if you can use them as a team, everyone else is screwed. Except for LA, because I can't seem to beat them.

Look, i disagree with all of this. Complaining that someone has an all-star player is an argument that may very well never stop. Ok, so lets say we take out Lemieux, Roenick, Selanne, what have you. Then the next tier of best players will dominate a league in this theory and then those players like Gilmour, Mogilny, Yzerman, will all be eliminated. Continuing down that slipper slope will bring us down to guys like Brian Bradley because he just domiantes Guy Hebert too easily. All i can say is suck it up, Washington has a good defense in Iafrate and Hatcher and they have some speed with Bondra and scoring ability in Bondra and Ridley. A sound defense can stop Lemieux and Jagr. Limit skating room, check better, hold, hook, dump the puck, play a different style, whatever needs to be done.

Complaining on the forum after getting hit up for ONE loss is no way to get any sort of respect. You get respect by playing the games and finding ways to win, not by saying you'll pick Roenick next season on purpose or whoever else youd want. Some guys get lucky with a good team, but all you can do is work with what you have and adjust to the opponent, everyone can be stopped or else they would be undefeated.

Thats why I said a league with one team would be ideal. Mabye one season it'd be Edmonton, the next Detroit, just to keep things fresh. OR do the opposite of what you said. Dont ban teams, OPEN UP EVERY team so EVERYONE has an EQUAL chance. Although I like the first idea better (one team per year).

It wont happen but thats how it really should be. Telling me to improve my defense is nice and it sounds good, but when an all star gets hot, the best d in the world isnt going to stop him. Could I have played better? Sure. I dont deny that. But youre not going to tell me if I adjusted my D that would solve everything. My record is 29-10 this season, but there is only so much you and your d can do when you face a team of all star calibur.

When you play an all star team, they are going to score goals, no matter what your d does. The only fair way to balance that out is if player b has an all star team as well. Thats all I'm saying.

I dont really know why voicing my opinion is not going to earn me respect. I suppose the title of the thread was flaming like so I apologize for that, but I stand by how I feel on this subject.

If I lose 8-4 and we both have the same teams, then tell me to work on my defense all you want. But when I'm using a far inferior team vs all stars the point is a bit moot. Its like telling an AHL team to work on their defense when they lose to Edmonton circa 1988. There are limitations when you are handicapped.

And Ridley and Bondra are nice little players but comparing them to Lemeuix is insane. :P

I am not making excuses. I am far from the best player in this league. I'm just saying itd be nice to see how good I really am under 100% fair circumstances. Why should I have to bust my hump on defense overcompensating while player b with the all star team relaxes? Sure, I might win, but I'd literally have to leave it all on the table. Is that fair? No, I dont think it is.

I respect your opinion, and I wish you'd respect mine. Just because you disagree, I dont feel you should say I havent earned respect.

I think that it would be nice to have a league where all teams are equal and just let the coaches skills come through

this will happen eventually..but these things take time to build....more guys will sign up and more leagues will be formed...the playing feild will level out.

Well, here's the paradox.

I've never had more FUN playing this game than when I played in college, 2-4 hours a day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

When we did tournaments, we never felt that we needed to pick identical teams. It's more fun to lay out Gretzky with Oates than it is to lay out Gretzky with... er, Gretzky.

In fact, if someone had suggested it as the only way to really tell who was "the best", I think the other three of us would have just stared at him blankly for a few seconds before going back to having fun.

So I guess if we wanted to unequivocally try to establish the most unbiased league champion possible, we could draw a team out of a hat and then the whole league would play as that team for the regular season and the playoffs, and at the end we'd have a clean claim for the title.

But it doesn't sound very fun, so I don't know that I'd do it, you know?

This whole thread is pretty ridiculous. Saying the system is flawed because you lost a game is just silly.

I've felt this way a long time. The game just prompted me to say it.

You may think its fair that some players have all star teams while others dont, and the players that dont "should just adjust and live with it". I say, hogwash. Shouldnt be like that. Equal ground for all! :P

Well, here's the paradox.

I've never had more FUN playing this game than when I played in college, 2-4 hours a day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

When we did tournaments, we never felt that we needed to pick identical teams. It's more fun to lay out Gretzky with Oates than it is to lay out Gretzky with... er, Gretzky.

In fact, if someone had suggested it as the only way to really tell who was "the best", I think the other three of us would have just stared at him blankly for a few seconds before going back to having fun.

So I guess if we wanted to unequivocally try to establish the most unbiased league champion possible, we could draw a team out of a hat and then the whole league would play as that team for the regular season and the playoffs, and at the end we'd have a clean claim for the title.

But it doesn't sound very fun, so I don't know that I'd do it, you know?

I totally get your point.

But by the same token, I think the league should be about the players ability, not the teams.

My compromise is this: Every year, switch the "main" team, to keep things fresh. One seaon Edmontn, the next, Pittsburgh, etc. etc.

I totally get your point.

But by the same token, I think the league should be about the players ability, not the teams.

My compromise is this: Every year, switch the "main" team, to keep things fresh. One seaon Edmontn, the next, Pittsburgh, etc. etc.

I could see a system where you each play as different, randomly matched up teams every game a lot easier than I can see a system where everyone is just, say, Detroit all year long. Over the course of the season, your good matchups will balance out with your bad matchups and the cream should still rise to the top, but at least we wouldn't have to suffer through 400 Detroit vs. Detroit battles.