NHL'94 Forums

Draft Lottery Picture

DaDonch44

DraftLotteryPicture.gif

If the league wants to use this, it is a ranking of the current owners in the GDL, up to the moment.

The formula used takes 3 things into account.

1. Regular season wins (found on the team stats page of the GDL) [each win counts as 1]

2. DNPs - Did Not Plays [each DNP counts as 3]

3. Playoff Wins [each win counts as 2]

so:

Regular Wins + (DNPs X 3) + (Playoff Wins X 2) = Total Points

Nice job on the graph Donch!

Another thing we should do to get prepared for next season is to make sure we have all the owners on their respective teams so we can get GDL Season 3 starting as soon as possible.

Any chance of a new comer getting into this league? I think I am pretty good,but even better I am always online.

Is that you Hokkee already trying to get back in? God, it only took you 2 days to come crawling back. lol

Hey Happytimes, just messing with ya, inside joke about this one chotch around here who likes to quit and come back as a new profile after he realizes he's been a complete jerk to everyone.

Is that you Hokkee already trying to get back in? God, it only took you 2 days to come crawling back. lol

Hey Happytimes, just messing with ya, inside joke about this one chotch around here who likes to quit and come back as a new profile after he realizes he's been a complete jerk to everyone.

Oh, I'm sure happytimes got the reference.

DaDonche said:

Thanks D,

Just let me know how you want to do it and we'll make it happen.

Do you have any idea how you want to change the percentages?

Do you want to include all the teams in the lottery or just non playoff teams and new coaches?

Do you want to make it like EA suggested and create tiers giving everyone a chance to get the 1st pick?

Do you still want to use a snake draft or use the same order for each round?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get an idea.

That's a great template Donche. I think the DNP factor is a great incentive for everyone to finish strong. Just a heads up that since playoffs are still going on, coaches could still get those games in.

1. Percentages - nothing to drastic b/w teams or else people may dump games for a chance at a better pick the next season (I also don't think anyone should be under 1%)

2. I think everyone should be given a chance to get the first pick

3. I like the tiers just b/c it seems easier to manage but I'm open to anything

4. I'm still for the snake draft. Not that I feel overwhelmingly opinionated about it, I just like doing what we've always done for consistency purposes.

Guest happytimes

okay!? ^.^

1. Percentages - nothing to drastic b/w teams or else people may dump games for a chance at a better pick the next season (I also don't think anyone should be under 1%)

2. I think everyone should be given a chance to get the first pick

3. I like the tiers just b/c it seems easier to manage but I'm open to anything

4. I'm still for the snake draft. Not that I feel overwhelmingly opinionated about it, I just like doing what we've always done for consistency purposes.

I agree 100% because if some people think they have no chance at winning a cup they might lose all their games on purpose to get a great chance of getting the first overall pick. This is just my opinion, but I think almost everyone should have the same percentages to get the first pick, just to make it fair.

I also agree to keep the snake draft. The snake draft gives most people opportunities to get more balanced teams.

Um, yeah... apparently, he was sciaticattack (QUE) as well. He admitted that in his last rant, where he said he was done with the site and all leagues.

So, if that is true, and hokkee won't be coming back in one way or another, for the Draft Boston and Quebec would be vacated and skipped as if they didn't exist.

Unless, of course a new coach took them over. But I still haven't decided a method to incorporate new coaches into the Draft that is fair to both the new coaches and the current coaches.

To any new potential coaches:

What we have tried to do in the past with newer guys, is have them be recommended by players that have been around awhile. It's nothing personal, we just try to make sure that everyone involved in the league is reliable and won't quit if they struggle at first. So a suggestion I can make is to play games against some of the vets around here, so they can get an idea on how you might be in a league. But, If there are spots available depending on how big the league is (usually around 20 teams) you may get your chance to play in the league from the start. Otherwise, you would be added to a waiting list, and if someone drops or can not keep up with the schedule, then the first person on the waiting list takes over. But since this season hasn't been completed yet, we are just trying to get a head start on next season to make sure things run a little smoother.

Just keep checking the GDL section to keep yourself updated, and sign ups for Season 3 should hopefully be soon after the playoffs finish. :D

Guest Wags13

Thats ridiculous! Why should the league champion have the same % chance as the worst team in the league to get the number one overall pick? No other real professional league runs it this way? I am not saying they shouldn't have any chance, but to equally give all teams the same percentage chance, when the draft order doesn't work that way..is counter-productive.

Just an outsiders point on the draft thing so just erase me if you like, but I love DaDonche program but it definetly throws a pretty big mix up even with small percentages differences.

When my buds and I used it, we do the NBA loto rules in which we just take the first 3 from the program and then everyone else falls in line from previos record. Otherwise some of the bottom dwellers got some pretty weak picks.

Depending on when and if this thing starts up again, I'll be back...

Where do I fall?

Hey BHF,

Glad to see you're coming back.

I know that you're not a "new" coach, but I would figure that you would be grouped in with any new coaches that do enter the league. It wouldn't be fair to you given your outstanding record in league play to stick you at the bottom. :lol:

I'm still working on where in the ranking system the new coaches will end up thats fair to them and the returning coaches as well. I don't want to put new coaches at the bottom of the draft order.

However, if we only use non playoff teams in the lottery and then the rest of the league based on my ranking system above, it wouldnt be fair to put new coaches into the lottery and give them a great pick for being new. Maybe put them after the teams in the draft lottery, and before playoff teams. (Which at the moment would still be great at 9 or 10th.) Maybe after the First Round Tier, that would mean (17th or 18th).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Donche, so how are we officially doing the draft order. I really believe that DNPs should be worth at the least a 4 pt penalty.

It's a nice schedule you put together there. I was also wondering about the addition of new coaches into the league? My thoughts are new coaches should automatically have a pick lower than any returning coach... Even if the returning coaches went to the playoffs the season before, they should still be higher than any new coach to the league.

My apologies if I missed this in a recent thread.

What are your thoughts?

Donche, so how are we officially doing the draft order. I really believe that DNPs should be worth at the least a 4 pt penalty.

It's a nice schedule you put together there. I was also wondering about the addition of new coaches into the league? My thoughts are new coaches should automatically have a pick lower than any returning coach... Even if the returning coaches went to the playoffs the season before, they should still be higher than any new coach to the league.

My apologies if I missed this in a recent thread.

What are your thoughts?

Hey EA,

Sorry I havent updated this to the second but I'll do that tonight.

I did outline the Draft Lottery in my opening thread when I started this back up:

Draft Lottery

I have thought long and hard about this and trying to be fair to everyone is a top priority. Here is what I came up with:

There will be 2 Lotteries:

1st Lottery: Includes Non-Playoff Teams (each given a PERCENTAGE to get the top pick)

2nd Lottery: Includes First Round Eliminations and New Coaches into the League (each given an EQUAL shot)

The rest of the draft will be determined using the Draft excel sheet I have posted in an earlier thread.

I know there will be some disagreement about where the new coaches end up, but like I said I was trying to be fair to everyone. They will not get a top pick, but they won't get shafted and move to the bottom of the list.

---------------------------------------------

This is like the only thing no one has brought up, talked about or disagreed with so far. But, I'm happy to talk about it.

I picked x3 as the penalty for DNPs b/c it was of course more of a "penalty" than playoff wins and I felt that not playing a game period is one of the worst things you can do. I didn't really want go any higher b/c I think it might throw the sheet out of whack too much.

Honestly, if you look at the excel sheet right now all you would have to do is change your pts. to 82 and kg's to 65. Even if I changed it to a x4, it wouldn't have any effect really on the order.

The owners with DNPs, are Ranatoro (not sure if hes coming back), Wags (not coming back), monkeyjuice and kingscup (they are at the bottom of the tier anyways), and kgman (he wouldnt be able to catch you anyways)

So not much would change. But, if you want to change it to x4 for this season, thats something we can consider, but as for as this draft, I don't think its necessary.

Placing new coaches in the lottery is the toughest part of this by far. I understand where youre coming from by putting them at the bottom, but I don't see why we should punish them just b/c they are new. So, I wanted to try to put them as close to the middle of the pack, so they are not getting better picks than non playoff teams, but not getting shafted by getting the last picks.

I'm totally up for hearing opinions on this, like I said I'm trying to be fair to the entire league.

So any helpful suggestions are welcome.

Hey EA,

Sorry I havent updated this to the second but I'll do that tonight.

I did outline the Draft Lottery in my opening thread when I started this back up:

Draft Lottery

I have thought long and hard about this and trying to be fair to everyone is a top priority. Here is what I came up with:

There will be 2 Lotteries:

1st Lottery: Includes Non-Playoff Teams (each given a PERCENTAGE to get the top pick)

2nd Lottery: Includes First Round Eliminations and New Coaches into the League (each given an EQUAL shot)

The rest of the draft will be determined using the Draft excel sheet I have posted in an earlier thread.

I know there will be some disagreement about where the new coaches end up, but like I said I was trying to be fair to everyone. They will not get a top pick, but they won't get shafted and move to the bottom of the list.

---------------------------------------------

This is like the only thing no one has brought up, talked about or disagreed with so far. But, I'm happy to talk about it.

I picked x3 as the penalty for DNPs b/c it was of course more of a "penalty" than playoff wins and I felt that not playing a game period is one of the worst things you can do. I didn't really want go any higher b/c I think it might throw the sheet out of whack too much.

Honestly, if you look at the excel sheet right now all you would have to do is change your pts. to 82 and kg's to 65. Even if I changed it to a x4, it wouldn't have any effect really on the order.

The owners with DNPs, are Ranatoro (not sure if hes coming back), Wags (not coming back), monkeyjuice and kingscup (they are at the bottom of the tier anyways), and kgman (he wouldnt be able to catch you anyways)

So not much would change. But, if you want to change it to x4 for this season, thats something we can consider, but as for as this draft, I don't think its necessary.

Placing new coaches in the lottery is the toughest part of this by far. I understand where youre coming from by putting them at the bottom, but I don't see why we should punish them just b/c they are new. So, I wanted to try to put them as close to the middle of the pack, so they are not getting better picks than non playoff teams, but not getting shafted by getting the last picks.

I'm totally up for hearing opinions on this, like I said I'm trying to be fair to the entire league.

So any helpful suggestions are welcome.

Hey Donche, I'm pretty much with you here in the way you're going to conduct this lottery... my only sticky point is with the new coaches placement. This season is a little different b/c it seems like we know most of the new coaches... BHF, SSiG, Jamonica, etc. But in most seasons, we don't know the new guys which means we don't know the level of dedication that they're willing to lay out there. I think that every new guy should have to earn their way into the league, instead of getting put ahead of guys who have stuck this out for 2 seasons. I've always been a believer that things should be a little tougher for the new blood b/c it will say a lot about them to stick it out in the long run. And if you're a coach whose new to the league and things don't go as well as you hoped... well, at least you know you have a shot at a top player the next season.

As far as the DNPs were concerned, I wasn't really thinking about how that would affect the order for the upcoming draft, I was just thinking that it's better to establish those assigned points now rather than later and my point was that DNPs shouldn't be taken lightly. Carse and I even finished off our last game of the regular season in the post season. Everyone should have the mentality of finishing all of their games and penalized heavily if they don't. 1 DNP = 8pts -- that's an entire playoff series and I don't think that's unreasonable

I see your points EA, and they are well taken.

As far as the new coaches I just want to come up with a set system, so every season we know what to expect from the get go. So if we put them at the bottom, they will pay their dues in their first season. Then, they will be grouped in with everyone else at the end of this season.

As far as DNPs, yes they should be unacceptable. I haven't had time to sit down and really think about the numbers... but if 8 or another number sounds reasonable, then let's do it.

I would like to get some more views on this. But if people are cool with this then we can move forward with this method.

I see your points EA, and they are well taken.

As far as the new coaches I just want to come up with a set system, so every season we know what to expect from the get go. So if we put them at the bottom, they will pay their dues in their first season. Then, they will be grouped in with everyone else at the end of this season.

As far as DNPs, yes they should be unacceptable. I haven't had time to sit down and really think about the numbers... but if 8 or another number sounds reasonable, then let's do it.

I would like to get some more views on this. But if people are cool with this then we can move forward with this method.

Fella's I have to chime in on this 'new guys must pay their dues' theory. Are we talking new guys to the draft league or new guys to the nhlonline community. I beleive there's a HUGE difference between the two. If you guys lump all us 'new guys' into the same bucket, players, such as myself, who have been playing dillegently for over 2 months, are being punished or made to pay dues that have already been proven.

I've had less then 5 games remaining to my 40 game regular season for the last 3 weeks. I continue to play every night against anyone who offers. I'm also pro-active in seeking out games on a consistent basis. Not too mention being active on the message boards etc. I feel that this is a way of paying my dues that should be considered.

So basically, just to some up my rant/diatribe, Can we differentiate between the new blood who are new to the whole online community and the new blood who are only new to the GDL? That's just my 2 cents.

Peace it.

Fella's I have to chime in on this 'new guys must pay their dues' theory. Are we talking new guys to the draft league or new guys to the nhlonline community. I beleive there's a HUGE difference between the two. If you guys lump all us 'new guys' into the same bucket, players, such as myself, who have been playing dillegently for over 2 months, are being punished or made to pay dues that have already been proven.

I've had less then 5 games remaining to my 40 game regular season for the last 3 weeks. I continue to play every night against anyone who offers. I'm also pro-active in seeking out games on a consistent basis. Not too mention being active on the message boards etc. I feel that this is a way of paying my dues that should be considered.

So basically, just to some up my rant/diatribe, Can we differentiate between the new blood who are new to the whole online community and the new blood who are only new to the GDL? That's just my 2 cents.

Peace it.

Hey Ice,

We are just talking about new guys/new blood to the GDL League. It is just very difficult to decide where to allow you guys to come in and draft.

Don't worry your reputation that you are creating by being reliable in the community and playing games all the time is definitely helping you here. :) That's just what we are looking for.

Hey Ice,

We are just talking about new guys/new blood to the GDL League. It is just very difficult to decide where to allow you guys to come in and draft.

Don't worry your reputation that you are creating by being reliable in the community and playing games all the time is definitely helping you here. :) That's just what we are looking for.

Thanks DaDonche. I appreciate that.

I don't want to come across as an 'I I I I, me, me, me' guy. I'm also speaking on behalf of my fellow new blood addicts.

Thanks DaDonche. I appreciate that.

I don't want to come across as an 'I I I I, me, me, me' guy. I'm also speaking on behalf of my fellow new blood addicts.

Ice is the real deal. I've played em a bunch lately. The dude loves to play. Has mad skill too. None of the cheap $hit either. He'd be a great addition to the league.

I just think everyone should get an equal chance of getting the first pick EXCEPT for the brand new guys.

Like I've said before, there's no point in giving someone who's not the greatest player one of the best players in the game. But what ever, it's up to Donch, and he knows how to run a league.

Hey Donche, I'm pretty much with you here in the way you're going to conduct this lottery... my only sticky point is with the new coaches placement. This season is a little different b/c it seems like we know most of the new coaches... BHF, SSiG, Jamonica, etc. But in most seasons, we don't know the new guys which means we don't know the level of dedication that they're willing to lay out there. I think that every new guy should have to earn their way into the league, instead of getting put ahead of guys who have stuck this out for 2 seasons. I've always been a believer that things should be a little tougher for the new blood b/c it will say a lot about them to stick it out in the long run. And if you're a coach whose new to the league and things don't go as well as you hoped... well, at least you know you have a shot at a top player the next season.

As far as the DNPs were concerned, I wasn't really thinking about how that would affect the order for the upcoming draft, I was just thinking that it's better to establish those assigned points now rather than later and my point was that DNPs shouldn't be taken lightly. Carse and I even finished off our last game of the regular season in the post season. Everyone should have the mentality of finishing all of their games and penalized heavily if they don't. 1 DNP = 8pts -- that's an entire playoff series and I don't think that's unreasonable

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is 8 pts. for a DNP too much? Do the rest of the returners feel that it is fair to stick the new guys at the bottom of the draft??

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is 8 pts. for a DNP too much? Do the rest of the returners feel that it is fair to stick the new guys at the bottom of the draft??

For a little more added complexity to the DNP issue, I don't think there should be a penalty applied to someone actively trying to schedule games. Of course, that would have to be decided on a case by case basis by the Commish. I just wanted to point out that DNPs are not a black and white issue but they should be penalized severely so people don't take them lightly.

For a little more added complexity to the DNP issue, I don't think there should be a penalty applied to someone actively trying to schedule games. Of course, that would have to be decided on a case by case basis by the Commish. I just wanted to point out that DNPs are not a black and white issue but they should be penalized severely so people don't take them lightly.

Oh yeah, of course EA. If you were trying to schedule a game and your opponent is a bonehead and just doesn't answer then they would get the DNP, and no penalty would be given to you.

I'm thinking that it would be a forefit win to the scheduler and they would receive the 2 pts. in the standings (just create a 1-0 score save state or something to upload), and I could create a new category in the excel sheet called "Forefeit Wins" and for each it would subtract 2 pts. from your total draft points. So you could get a better draft choice if it came down to it. Does giving a "reward" for attmepting to schedule a good idea? or is just getting the win enough?

But yes DNPs should be severely penalized. I'm just still thinking if 8 is the right number, and no one else has voiced an opinion.

If people play all their games this doesnt matter anyways. :)