NHL'94 Forums

GDL Draft Options

CamKneely

GDL 7 Draft  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which option do you think is best?

• Other

Now that the draft order and all the teams are settled, I want to know how people want to conduct the draft. If you guys want to mix it up or keep it the way it's always been, let me know here. I thought up a couple of ideas that I think are interesting.

Option 1: Have the draft done completely on this board like we normally do. This usually takes about a week.

Option 2: Everybody tells me who they want to take either on the board, AIM, or via mobile device, and I televise everyone's pick via my webcam, most likely with Bo co-hosting. This would require everybody to be on top of things, or else give me their preferred list of players if they won't be around. I think it would be fun to televise like a real draft.

Option 3: Get everybody into a chatroom and draft in order from there. We did this in the precursor league to GDL and it ran pretty smoothly.

If you have any other ideas (broadcast the first round then go to the boards, etc.), let me know here. If not please vote in the poll so that we can get going ASAP.

Options 2 and 3 sound like more fun, but I think option 1 is still best, simply because we all have such different schedules and giving somebody a list of players before every round you can't be available is lame. Option 2 would be hilarious, though...

Option 2 remnded me of Metz' FDL league (Anyone want to take over that one? :(), but just in case I want to propose to the guys running GDL to make a draft page like smoz has in Blitz.

If it's not possible, I can accept option 1.

#2 thoughts:

It might be fun to 'televise' the first few picks, but it obviously wouldn't work for a whole round. You'll never get everyone around at the same time, and no one wants to make their important early-round picks 10+ picks in advance.

So.. I think it'd be cool to do maybe the top 5 picks live, but do the rest on the board.

#3 thoughts:

Live drafts don't work... I was in that league mentioned in #3, and couldn't make the draft. I got screwed over because the guy picking for me drafted all overrated fatties (lemieux and oates.. wooo.... ). That league only had 8 people, too.

Draft website thoughts:

I don't think GDL needs a draft system like Blitz. With Blitz, the system helps with the issues that the protection picks bring up (preventing people from picking too many players from one team, etc).

I would be fine with any option, but I understand that people have there own schedules and can't be always online.

So I kinda agree with what smoz came up with televising the first 5 picks then do the rest on the board

If you wanted to do the entire first round but thought that perhaps people may not all participate...I'd offer being an impartial drafter....so guys could send me a preference list of players for your position.(ie if you draft 12th..send me a list of 12 players in order from 1st to 12th)..then ill pick them based on their preference list (much like I do for the classic league in assigning teams).

I'll send vocally caged the final list for him and Bo to stream. Then they can do up a bunch of envelopes and pull the player out for each pick or whatever routine they decide on.

Also it doesn't have to be me if you guys don't want...but anyone who doesn't play in the league that may want to do it.

But I really think you guys should do the live stream for the first round of the draft cause that sounds awesome and I think those guys would make it entertaining.

Now that the draft order and all the teams are settled, I want to know how people want to conduct the draft. If you guys want to mix it up or keep it the way it's always been, let me know here. I thought up a couple of ideas that I think are interesting.

Option 1: Have the draft done completely on this board like we normally do. This usually takes about a week.

Option 2: Everybody tells me who they want to take either on the board, AIM, or via mobile device, and I televise everyone's pick via my webcam, most likely with Bo co-hosting. This would require everybody to be on top of things, or else give me their preferred list of players if they won't be around. I think it would be fun to televise like a real draft.

Option 3: Get everybody into a chatroom and draft in order from there. We did this in the precursor league to GDL and it ran pretty smoothly.

If you have any other ideas (broadcast the first round then go to the boards, etc.), let me know here. If not please vote in the poll so that we can get going ASAP.

will option 2 involve you dressing as little bo peep and Bo as little orphan annie? if so ya i think it'd be cool do do it that way.

For option 2 we could make it in 3 flights of 8. So top 8 have live draft one night, 2nd 8 the next etc. makes things easier. then anyone can join and watch and we all dont have to be available during the same 3 hours etc

option 3 would be 2nd choice but it would preclude any trading goin on else itd be insane

I choose option 1. When the need arises, I could rally guys who have the next turn in the draft via PM.