NHL'94 Forums

NHL 95 enthusiasts

I'd like to thank @wboy, @slapshot67, @kingraphand @smozoma up front, as Ive learned so much from these gentlemen. As 90% of the hard work was found by these guys.

I've completed a NHL95 2020 update that includes the following:

• Updated rosters of all teams as of August 2nd, 2020 (https://www.capfriendly.com/depth-charts)
  • Updated logos, center ice and banners for all team including "Seattle Kraken" (2020 Top Prospects), "All-Stars" (The top players from 2020) and the "Legends" (Top all-time players from NHL.com)

If there is anything that can be added please let me know.

NHL95 2020.bin

Edited by UltraMagnus
  • Thanks 7
  • Like 2

There is going to be an update on the season mode that I’m considering, which is having the right teams in each division and adjusting the calendar to show the right teams as well.

Leave a message if there is anything you would like to see.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

There is going to be an update on the season mode that I’m considering, which is having the right teams in each division and adjusting the calendar to show the right teams as well.

Leave a message if there is anything you would like to see.

That would be AMAZING and would love if you can share how you do this for the hacking community.  I don't think this is an easy task.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kingraph said:

That would be AMAZING and would love if you can share how you do this for the hacking community.  I don't think this is an easy task.  

Its actually quiet easy...once you find and figure out the order. I did one without the divisions

For example: Anaheim stays Anaheim, Arizona is actually Boston, Boston is actually Buffalo, and so on.

finding calendar teams.png

This will show up like this after they have been changed.

calendars.png

Regarding the proper standings setup. @Asher413 provided a breakdown to assigning the division accordingly. 

moving teams in divisions.png

And than with those changes the standings will look like this.

updated standings with changes.png

Repeat the above to adjust the names on the file in Tile Molestar. Or just leave the calendar alone to have the divisions setup this way.

Edited by UltraMagnus
Duplicate image
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't go that far. lol. I just want to get this game the love it deserves. I enjoy 94, but 95 alone with the season is forever in my heart. :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Ill be doing a revision on the whole game once the playoffs, draft and FA is over. Cause it would be easier with a roll out of 2021 with a clean slate of changes as follows.

- Standings

- Calendar

- Rosters

- Logo cleanup

- Rink Changes (Benches, Penalty box, ice,, crowd)

- Trophies

- Player Cards

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

@UltraMagnus Am I reading this correctly that you think it will be possible to update the season mode to include all current teams in their current divisions, and that it’s possible to create an entirely new schedule based on the expanded league?! (Mind you, I know NOTHING about ROM hacking. It’s just that from what I have been able to gather from this forum, what I think you’re describing sounds virtually impossible, or at least nobody has been able to crack the code...yet! :D)

• Like 2

The only thing with the game is that it would be limited to the 26 teams currently in the season mode. With all the stellar work from the geniuses@wboy, @slapshot67, @kingraphand @smozoma have done. And some of my minor contributions. 

I would be able to have only 26 teams included, but in their proper divisions such as shown above with the Pacific. The schedule would be limited as well to the 26 teams, but an updated schedule for them all to reflect their division, and out-of-conference games.

But it is possible to have team like Vegas, or Seattle in there if wanted. Mind you, it wont be something Ill be doing from multiple people for multiple versions. The easiest would be to take a POLL above which teams should be excluded and make the rom like that. 

• Like 1

Very Cool @UltraMagnus

Got a question now that you got the guts of the game opened up...can you mess with the schedule easily in season mode?

Would like to do a little in person tourney with my buds and would be cool if I could go in an alter what team plays what team on the cart so we could keep stats . 

Thanks for all that you do.  

Edited by segathon
  • Like 1

I'll have to look at my notes- I looked at '95, '96 and '97, and I'm not sure which was which. One had a listing for conferences and divisions, with the number in front of both of those (if you search for the pacific division by team numbers, it happens 2 or 3 times in each rom, so it's easy to find.)

@UltraMagnus Since that last post (and I have a rom IP so that's why my research stopped for now), I have been able to edit the full schedule and move teams with only one issues in full season mode (I'm working on a '94-'95 replay, and '95 has no issues unless you sim to the day past when all the teams finish game #48, but if you hit end season after today on the last day, it's works just fine.)  IIRC copying the schedule from '96 to '95 worked just fine (as a side note, the schedule in '96 is a mirror image swapping home and away teams to the original '94-'95 schedule with a couple of games moved (I think a 10/10 game was the one I found in October).  '96 didn't like having anything but 84 games, but season mode has been questionable to emulate for me with the base rom. I only tried once then focused on '95.

@segathon So from that, I think you could make a tourney schedule pretty easy, check my original post on the format to put in the schedule.  I don't know what the game does with the teams not playing games when it comes to playoffs.

(At risk of diverging, once I get the rosters fully updated for my rom, then I'll mess more with schedules.  When I finish the '94-'95 rom I can shift focus back toward changing the size of divisions to convert my other '93 roms to '95.)

This reminds me of waaaayyy back in the day when Tecmo Super Bowl had multiple roms for a year because the game hadn't been cracked enough for expansion.  Sadly my skill level is reading spreadsheets, so parts of the code that look/work like spreadsheets make sense to me, but that's it.

• Thanks 2

This is great! A minor hiccup, and probably a remote issue to deal with, since most will want to play the whole season. 

I'm wondering though, if there is a spot in the game to reduce the season length to 82 and avoid the "end season after today"?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, segathon said:

Very Cool @UltraMagnus

Got a question now that you got the guts of the game opened up...can you mess with the schedule easily in season mode?

Would like to do a little in person tourney with my buds and would be cool if I could go in an alter what team plays what team on the cart so we could keep stats . 

Thanks for all that you do.  

Given @Asher413response. It seems very likely, unless 1 of the 2 options is your barrier (the number of games your gang plays)

With that, you can update the calendar to represent you and your gangs first three letters of their name in the calendar even. Since the graphics can be changed and since they are in order by the teams alphabetically.

Ie. Thomas can be represented as TOM. 

I checked your website and I'm guessing you play 22-30 games? This would fall perfectly below the 48 game threshold. Hence, not causing any issues.

• Thanks 1

I guess I should clarify- I've only tested two schedules in NHL '95- a full 84 game schedule (copy and paste from NHL '96) and a 48 game schedule (I transcribed the actual schedule from the lockout '94-'95 season), but I feel good that it would work on a shorter schedule.  In NHL '96 I wasn't able to get a modified schedule to work (I think I only tested a 48 game one.)

Edited by Asher413
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Asher413 said:

I guess I should clarify- I've only tested two schedules in NHL '95- a full 84 game schedule (copy and paste from NHL '96) and a 48 game schedule (I transcribed the actual schedule from the lockout '94-'95 season), but I feel good that it would work on a shorter schedule.  In NHL '96 I wasn't able to get a modified schedule to work (I think I only tested a 48 game one.)

I tried this evening modifying the schedule with the names and 1 changed division and it works. Played through 10 games and no issues. Also, moved all the teams (26) to their proper divisions and simmed the whole season without issues. Than simmed another season like you said with "end season after today" with some calendar changes and schedule changes and worked flawlessly. 

I'll do some major testing this weekend to see the impact. @Asher413your a genius to find these aspects. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UltraMagnus said:

I tried this evening modifying the schedule with the names and 1 changed division and it works. Played through 10 games and no issues. Also, moved all the teams (26) to their proper divisions and simmed the whole season without issues. Than simmed another season like you said with "end season after today" with some calendar changes and schedule changes and worked flawlessly. 

I'll do some major testing this weekend to see the impact. @Asher413your a genius to find these aspects. 

You guys are making me so joyful I may not be able to sleep

On 8/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, UltraMagnus said:

New development. I may have found the location of expanding the divisions, as well as reducing the total games to 82. 

Need to test it a few times to make sure. @Asher413you unclogged my brain with your division breakthrough.

It appears the search continues for the expanding the season. I tested replacing teams (ie Vegas for Arizona.) But it is a major change overall that is needed. 

If one team is to be taken out alphabetically, the team you want to replace needs to take its spot and replace all the data (ie logos, center ice, banners. Scoreboard, players, etc.) To make it stick and allow the game to play through the season. 

But I did do it for one team and it worked. Bad thing. Takes 5-6 hours to do one team.

Back to the drawing board.

• Like 1

I've begun putting together a complete break down of the NHL95 rom from HxD. Half way done.

Line by line data to where everything is located.

Also gives everyone to see what is missing to find it and determine what is able to change on the unknown.

2 hours ago, UltraMagnus said:

I've begun putting together a complete break down of the NHL95 rom from HxD. Half way done.

Line by line data to where everything is located.

Also gives everyone to see what is missing to find it and determine what is able to change on the unknown.

Hey, maybe this will be helpful to you for this: 

I can also send you direct access to the Google Doc if you need, just PM me. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, kingraph said:

Hey, maybe this will be helpful to you for this: 

I can also send you direct access to the Google Doc if you need, just PM me. 

Well damn!!! I thought I was onto something. This is amazing. I'll just add it to my file for safe keeping. 

Look forward to testing some of the undefined.