NHL'94 Forums

[Mar 25, 2017 - Green Bay, WI] Edge of '94 WI II, Pucks Out For Harambe

The WI tournament featuring the greatest hockey game of all time, NHL94 is back!  Pucks Out 4 Harambe is our 2nd NHL94 tournament, and plans to be even bigger and better than our first effort!  Our goal for turnout would be a 50% increase over last tournament, which was 16.  We are hoping for at least 24-32 for this event, and have enough systems to support as many as 64 players!  Cash prizes await the top 3 finishers, and the opportunity to hoist Lord Manly's Cup!

Image may contain: table and indoor

Townline Pub and Grill, 2455 Lineville Road, Green Bay, WI,  Saturday March 25th, 2017, 10AM registration, 11AM start - completion(estimate 4-6 hours), $25 prepay, $30 at the door.  Side tournaments and additional gaming afterward.

Parents with minions of their own are encouraged to add them to the action for only $10 more!  Time permitting, we will have a special 2v2 parent/child single elimination tournament for all of the parent/child pairings still present after the main Genesis tournament!  We feel it's critical to pass the spirit of retro gaming along to the next generation, and there is no better way to do this than to involve your child in this great event!  We can ensure your child is put in your grouping with other parent/child combos for the normal tournament, giving them a better chance to win a game or two.

Frequently Asked Questions

1) Why the Genesis and not SNES? Price and familiarity in this region are the two biggest reasons. The retro players in the WI market we spoke with were more familiar with the Genesis, as it tended to be the platform of choice for EA Sports games during the early to mid-90’s. The Genesis version is also typically heralded as the better version of the game. Lastly, the cost of acquiring true SNES hardware greatly exceeds the Genesis in 2nd hand markets. Currently we can acquire a Genesis console for roughly half the price of an SNES.  If we can get 6-8 console "lenders/donors", we will add an SNES bracket.

2) How old do I need to be to participate? The answer to that question is 18 if you are on your own, and if accompanied by an adult, whatever that adult is comfortable with. Children of appropriate age may participate in the action. Please keep in mind that because there is prize money on the line, we cannot expect any adults to hold back and “go easy” on them. Also, while we encourage and request respectful language, we understand that we cannot completely censor any profanities that often come along with intense competition. Parental discretion is advised in this matter.  Children under the age of 16 may be added to your entrance for for only $10 additional per child.

3) What are the food/drink options? Food and drink is available from the venue (Towline Pub and Grill). Outside product may not be brought inside. You must be 21 or older with a valid ID to order alcohol. We do ask that you drink responsibly, and be respectful of the attendees, venue, and equipment while doing so.

4) Why no event t-shirts? We want as much money possible going to the cash prize pool for this event. As this grows in popularity, the prize pool will as well, which will in turn allow us to investigate the possibility of including t-shirts at that time.

5) Overnight lodging accommodations? We have no implied agreements with any venues, however there are multiple options within 1-10 miles of the event venue.  If you need assistance or recommendations, please let us know!

6) What is the cost to participate? The event cost is $30 at the door, $25 if you prepay before March 1st. If you can provide a fully functional SNES console + 2 OEM controllers + and copy of NHL94, you can get your fee lowered to $20. (You must prepay to be eligible for this). Your request to provide hardware must be approved, so contact Trojan (Troy) @ 920-246-7513, or trojan1979@gmail.com, or directly message this account on NHL94.com before prepaying if you wish to take advantage of this. There a number of individuals that are contributing behind the scenes that are paying a reduced fee to participate, and this event wouldn’t be possible without them. We do aim for transparency in this area to ensure integrity. The full amount of payout will be disclosed the day of the event.

7) What is the format/payout of the tournament? We will begin by having a group play session that is similar to a mini season. The number of games played will be based on the number of participants, and the number of consoles available. Group play will be followed by a single elimination playoff bracket. The 3rd place bracket game, conference final, and “Manley Cup final” will have a 3 game series.  Time allowing, we may extend the bracket to a 3 game series beyond just the semis and finals. There will be prize money awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. Prize money will be awarded, 60/30/10 percent. With expenses and system discounts, we anticipate roughly $15-$20 per paid person to go towards the prize pool. The price of internal console acquisition is not figured into this. A 32 paying field would net around $500 conservatively. $300 of that would go to first place, $150 to second place, and $50 would go to third. If you want that number to increase, invite more friends!

8) May we dress in costume for this event? Absolutely! We encourage you to wear your favorite team jersey/apparel. Extra points of respect are given out for old school apparel!

9) Are spectators allowed? Absolutely! The more the merrier, however we do ask that spectators be respectful and do not attempt to play on a system without paying to be a part of the event. Late comers may be allowed in at the expense of some pool play forfeitures.  Once the tournaments conclude, if you are a spectator and are patronizing Townline, we may allow you to play casuals with us.  The organizers like free beer and wings ;)

10) How many games do we get to play and how long is the event? Pool play will start within an hour of the posted start time after registration is completed and commencement announcements are completed. We are still looking for someone to sing Oh Canada if we get any of our friends from the north. Again depending on actual participants, we anticipate anywhere from 4-8 games, taking anywhere from 2-4 hours for pool play. If you are eliminated you are encouraged to stay and cheer on those that advance. The bracket we also anticipate taking 2-4 hours to wrap up activities.  This process would repeat of SNES is added to the mix.

11) Will the games be recorded or streamed? There will be at least one station recording game play, and if bandwidth allows, we will attempt to stream the action on twitch. Please add twitch.tv/trojan1979 to your list of followed channels.  Please log on today and follow us for retro content!

12) How do I prepay? Payments may be made via PayPal to trojan1979@gmail.com. Payments are nonrefundable. Prepay discount is available until March 1st, just under one month before the tournament. Payment of $25 is to be sent to reserve your spot. You are considered signed up once payment is received.

Rules:

Rules posted are in the spirit of kingof94.com with some modifications. Currently this is a Genesis only NHL 94 tournament. These rules may be amended/updated with or without notice at the discretion of King of 94 WI when deemed necessary. KO94WI staff is the judge and jury in any disputes that cannot be worked out between competitors.  We would like to add SNES to the mix, but will need help from the community to do so.

1) Game Settings : 5 Min Periods, Manual Goalie, Penalties On, No Offside

2) Please no delaying the game(excessive time in change screens, or stalling on your own end to run time out, you must attempt to advance the puck and press offensive advantage whenever possible)

3) Known game exploits/glitches IE(pass shots, the “b” stat trick, post whistle goals, miracle drop shot goals, etc. are permissible)

4) Team selection will involve a coin clip, the winner is required to call the matchup and is the home team. The coin clip loser chooses which of the two teams to be. If you face the same opponent again in the tournament, this is automatically reversed.

5) A coin flip winner cannot call the same matchup more than once during group play. This restriction is reset in bracket play and is again limited to one instance.(example : The coin flip winner can call Penguins v Devils, once in Group Play, and again in Bracket Play)

6) In the event of a system malfunction, the game will be reset. The prior score will apply. Games in the 1st period will resume from the 2nd, 2nd from the 3rd. Malfunctions in the 3rd should be replayed unless there is a 3 or more goal lead while said malfunction occurs. If a 3 or more goal lead exists in the 3rd, and a malfunction happens, the game is awarded to the leading player.

7) If the game is not resolved in Overtime, the game is reset until the first goal is scored. Injuries and penalties will not carry over, and line changes are allowed at this time to adjust. The home team has the final line change.

8) There is a 10 goal lead mercy rule. The game is over once this is achieved. 10 goals is the max per game goal differential allowed in the tournament. Goal differential is a tie breaking metric.

9) Changing Goalies: You may change before the opening face-off in a period, and during play stoppages. You may not change goalies for a penalty shot, or once the faceoff animations have started.

10) You may only sub for an extra attacker and pause if you possess the puck. You may not pause to send the goalie back until the whistle blows.

11) NHL-WI staff is your referee source for any disputes.(Trojan, Moe Man)

12) The games are played on real Sega Genesis model(or SNES if we add that tournament) 1, 2, or 3 hardware with OEM 3 or 6 button controllers via composite signal on CRT televisions. The only acceptable participant generic at this time is the Hyperkin 6 button. You are encouraged to bring your own controller for your own comfort level. We will need to know in advance if you are bringing a controller. You may be eligible for an event discount for providing a working 2 player setup.

13) Line changes are permitted before the game, during intermission, post injury, and if a timeout is used. Please state that you’d like to make a change so that your opponent doesn’t start pressing buttons to get into the action. Unapproved line changes will need to be reverted. The home team is always the last to make changes. Please keep the line changes to about 30 seconds per side to keep the action moving. Stats are approximate in the change screen for the Sega Genesis(except for weight), so do not dwell too long on the figures. If you accidentally start the game before the line change process has completed for both sides, simply state that you wish to reset the game and then do so.(this should happen before the puck drops)

Edited by King of 94' WI
Spelling correct, Image add
  • Like 1

Trojan - Staff Founder and Organizer, equipment provider and technical support

Moe Man - Staff member equipment technical support and referee -pre paid $25

Nick Wautier - Staff Photographer - comped for photography services

Elliott C + son $40 at door

Kevin Cabarello + GF Paid - $30 already, $10 at door

Angryjay93 - paying at door

Levi Lacrosse -prepaid, bringing SNES $20

Troy Evers - prepaid $25

Brian Odonnel - possible SNES + Matt O'Donnell. Esquire. $35.00 at door

Chad Bonin paying at door $30.00

Tim Ubick - paying at door $30.00

Edited by King of 94' WI
updated list

Reserved for Results List

Congratulations to Angryjay93, Winner of Lord Manly's Cup, and $150.

1st Place Angryjay93 -$150

2nd Place Kevin Cabarello - $50

3rd Place Trojan(TroyF) $25

4th Place - Tim U - notably defeated Angryjay in a pickup game the night prior, and the only person to do so, won himself a $25 gift card to the venue.  He also won a $25 gift card to Press Start Games in Menasha for his participation in the PP Goal challenge.

Here is the bracket.

http://challonge.com/pucksout4harambe

Here are the results of group play.  Nick W elected to focus on helping with admin duties, and getting the broadcast ready for us.  Alex elected to forfeit the last few of his games and not participate in the bracket.  He had a rough outing.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by King of 94' WI

Angryjay93 is coming, and will be riding from Milwaukee.  I'd suggest a meetup and rental car pool.

I'd really like to know if anyone can bring a SNES.  We are trying to get some local game stores to each chip in for a setup, but that's a long shot.  I only have 2 at this point.  I want 10 total if possible.  A retron 2, or retro bit option that uses cartridges would be acceptable, as long as the controllers are OEM, or Cirka brand.

I can't attend.  It's on a Saturday, and I have to work, and can't really miss too many Saturday's a year on my end.

Best of luck to you buds who make it and great to see another tourney.

4 minutes ago, Brutus said:

I can't attend.  It's on a Saturday, and I have to work, and can't really miss too many Saturday's a year on my end.

Best of luck to you buds who make it and great to see another tourney.

Is there a trend to do these events on a different day than Saturday?  It seems to be the universally available day for potential travelers.

12 minutes ago, King of 94' WI said:

Is there a trend to do these events on a different day than Saturday?  It seems to be the universally available day for potential travelers.

I'm generally ODD MAN out on all things cause I work Saturdays.

THE majority of events happen on Saturdays :(

1 hour ago, CoachMac said:

Very interested!

I could fly to Chicago.

The Blackhawks play the "NorthStars" (sic) on the 23rd.

What are my chances of getting tickets? And how much?

Any Chicago guys wanna go and give me ride?  Brutus? EA?

AngryJay?

I've never made a Blackhawks game, bucket list for me.  Not sure I'm the best resource for such things.  We do have a very entertaining local team that has a home stand that weekend called the Green Bay Gamblers.

http://gamblershockey.com/schedule

Added a promotional video.  If you could please share it out, I added it to the original post.  Mikey also added a printable flyer, if you wouldn't mind spreading that around in the community, it would also be appreciated.

94_WI.pdf

If we can get 16 prepays by March 1st, we will host an SNES bracket.  I know we are asking a lot of you to go out on a limb somewhat, especially the Canadian players, but make the arrangements, and we will bring you SNES glory!

Image result for snes nhl94

Edited by King of 94' WI

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, Black and Tan Sports is officially sponsoring our NHL94 Tournament. Please check them out and give their page a like. For us, they are giving a special 20% off custom NHL94 jerseys, using promo code GBLAN20. All you have to do is email blackandtansports@gmail.com and tell them which of their designs you want. Please help spread the word as these designs are amazing. If you don't see a player you want, you can request it. We already ordered our Ed Belfour home Chicago red jersey. Thanks guys!

https://www.facebook.com/BlackAndTanSports/

Edited by King of 94' WI
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2017 at 10:48 AM, segathon said:

Cabarello two sport athlete (tecmo) and I heard he's a ringer in NBA Jam too.

Guy is good at a lot of games, but best of all, he's just a solid dude.  Can't wait to hang with him again.

Officially we are up to 11 signups right now, just 5 short of our last event, so it's moving in the right direction.  Anygryjay just booked his flight to Chicago, so anyone looking to carpool, now's the time to try an make this work!

• Like 1

Today staff member Moe Man is on his way to the sunshine state, and will be taking in the Sharks Capitols game whenever they play this week/weekend.  I've requested that he take a copy of NHL94 and see if he can get Sharks GM Doug Wilson to sign the copy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Wilson_(ice_hockey)

Image result for doug wilson hockey

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, King of 94' WI said:

Today staff member Moe Man is on his way to the sunshine state, and will be taking in the Sharks Capitols game whenever they play this week/weekend.  I've requested that he take a copy of NHL94 and see if he can get Sharks GM Doug Wilson to sign the copy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Wilson_(ice_hockey)

Image result for doug wilson hockey

Awesome :). Make sure to tell him he has the hardest shot in the game!

On 1/30/2017 at 9:09 AM, King of 94' WI said:

the only acceptable participant generic at this time is the Hyperkin 6 button.  abcabcabcabcabc

Have you tried the Hyperkin 6 Button controller?  I have read great reviews on it, then other review saying the d pad is bad and hard to move diagonal