This is a guide to use and setup Hamachi

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en

1. Download from link

2. Install basic version

3. Create username

4. join network group: ippon-team password: turbosliders

and or: network group: nhl94p2p password: monkeytime

5. leave open while using gens

6. allows anybody (who normally cant host, because of router/ports etc) to play and host p2p

7. Use your hamachi IP address when hosting, it shows this in the large numbers at the top. Copy it down and the port you are using to host in Gens, ie 5.128.44.132:27888

It's a nice solution for those who can't access their routers. I've used it and its super easy to setup and all that. I would like some more performance tests with it, because the free version does encrypt all data, which means it could be slightly slower than standard p2p through port forwarding. But with how fast p2p is, the difference may be negligible.

• 3 months later...

I finally tried this and its pretty damn good. Not much different then P2P connection, but my only question is...

WHY DONT MORE PEOPLE USE IT INSTEAD OF CLIENT

Sorry about the caps, but client sucks so bad and doesnt allow to play the game to its fullest.

I finally tried this and its pretty damn good. Not much different then P2P connection, but my only question is...

WHY DONT MORE PEOPLE USE IT INSTEAD OF CLIENT

Sorry about the caps, but client sucks so bad and doesnt allow to play the game to its fullest.

I agree.

The connection is just as good as p2p. I think it actually establishes a direct (p2p) connection under-the-hood.

Playing on a server (SCD, daroms..) now is ridiculous. The only reasons to play on a server are

1) you're playing 2on2

2) the hamachi/p2p connection is bad (i've had a couple matches where server was actually better.. but it's rare)

3) you want to talk to random people in the server waiting room?

4) maybe people on different coasts get better connections on a server in the middle? I don't think so, though..

• 8 years later...

I agree.

The connection is just as good as p2p. I think it actually establishes a direct (p2p) connection under-the-hood...

Ok, is it generally accepted that using Hamachi is as good as directly connecting to each other without Hamachi (using old school client-server connection)?

Is there proof? Or is this more of a hunch?

(I ask because I play Atomic a lot, and we are having a ton of hiccups lately, and I am exploring other options besides Hamachi.)

P2p over Hamachi is better than client/server. P2p over Hamachi should be just as good as p2p without it, because I think it's the same connection in the end (Hamachi just makes it possible to establish the connection without configuring your router)