NHL'94 Forums

Research (Champions)

I've had an arguement with Swos, because he decided to void any trade attempts from perenial cup contenders to get a top player.

The reasons he cited are ''Common sense and logic'', ''Strong concern'' and the ''unferainess of those''. He then argued that ''Discussion with others'' acted as a proof of having a superstar directly making you champion material if you were a contender.

I then said that ''Common sense and logic'' once dicated the earth was flat, same goes for the discussion and experience, as Scientists all conversed between them and most agreed that it was right. So that this not constitute proof.

I then asked him repeatadly if he had compiled data to proove that having a top pick would make someone win, and he only pointed at my performance. I then replied to him that 1 case does not constitue proof, only a large bassin of results with them pointing at one fact would do.

Since a lot of the leagues have empty or partial databases (FVHL, GDL) I ask of you to try and remind yourselves of every time someone drafted a lottery player, regardless of the result and post it.

I know Blitz keeps track of draft picks so it's easier to get results, but GDL lost it's original databse, if anyone has any info regarding this, they are welcomed to do so.

It's swos and VC's league now, if thats what they decide then so be it.

I agree with his thought process. FPB, why are you so concerned about it anyway? You'll get 2 solid players with your picks.

(Top picks are considered 1 to 10)

Here are the blitz results: (A only as theyre regarded ''contenders in GDL'')

Season 5:

Name, Player, Result

VC Mario Lemieux 7th seed out of 12

Bo Alexander Mogilny 9th seed out of 12

FPB Esa Tikkanen 11th seed out of 12

Freydey Teemu Selanne 5th seed out of 12

Season 4:

Bo Esa Tikkanen 7th seed out of 12

Freydey Brett Hull 3rd seed out of 12

Smozoma Pierre Turgeon 8th seed out of 12

Habs Sergei Fedorov 6th seed out of 12

Season 3:

Smozoma Mario Lemieux 9th seed out of 11

FPB Cam Neely 3rd seed out of 11

Fredey Steve Yzerman 2nd seed out of 11

Ice Storm Ed Belfour 4th seed out of 11

Hokkee Pavel Bure 7th seed out of 11

I will continue the trick with the other blitz as soon as I can see the other drafts

Edited by The Russian Rocket

make your own league with your own rules if you arent happy

dont bother posting all those useless stats with a wall of text we wont read it

Make your own world with your own rules if you arent happy

dont bother protesting all those useless facts with a wall of test no one will read

Sounds like a big homework you got, FPB. Just go for it, man! It'll be a good read.

make your own league with your own rules if you arent happy

dont bother posting all those useless stats with a wall of text we wont read it

If he is making a well-thought argument, you don't need to be big brother and attempt to censor him just because you find it annoying he doesn't want to comply with VC and swos's rules.

Here are two thoughts I'd like to add:

1. Let's say a "contender" trades for a top 10 guy.... if it improves the quality of the "non-contender", why would we want to place a rule to prevent this? If the consensus is we need to hand-cuff contenders to force parity... okay. I'm not sure this is the way to go about it though.

2. I'm not sure Blitz draft results will compare well with GDL when comparing top 10 draft picks vs. playoff positioning/results. The top 10 picks in GDL are much more lucrative than they are in Blitz due to the weight-bug.

If the consensus is we need to hand-cuff contenders to force parity... okay. I'm not sure this is the way to go about it though.

My point of view is that all contenders are more or less hand-cuffed because of the later draft positions, and everyone wants the key. But there's only one key available per season, 2 if lucky, so what happens to those many who wanted the key but weren't lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.

It creates a pressure to build superior teams quickly, and those who manage to do it have signifigant advantage over others who were left without.

I agree with Hurray that there isn't nearly as much value in a top 10 pick in blitz when compared to GDL. As for trading for top players, I think any trade involving a top 10 pick should need to be approved by the majority of the veterans in the league. Unloading a top player for a more balanced team is a strategy that works better for some people than others. It is a well known fact that FPB needs a top player to be competitive. (see blitz this year.. ouch!) The opposite of this would be to look at the teams KG used to win in gdl. He had a balanced attack, and that worked for him.

As long as the trade is fair and the veterans in the league can ensure that an experienced player isn't just taking advantage of a player who is new to the GDL format, then I think trading should be allowed

My point is in all of this is that it discriminates certain type of players.

It's not a rule to ''Protect contenders'' as Swos said.

I'm a succesful player with a superstar, but that doesn't mean KGman or AJ or Carse for that matter is.

Also your reaction in the last playoffs didn't help. Spewing comments about how you felt you should have won and that you'd make sure i'd never get Mogilny again because it was ''Cheating''.

And the Shadyness of the ''Contender'' category. (The rule is mainly to empeach contenders getting a high pick).

Apparently I'm a contender, but Bo's not, even if he finished way ahead of me in Blitz

Edited by The Russian Rocket

I agree with Hurray that there isn't nearly as much value in a top 10 pick in blitz when compared to GDL. As for trading for top players, I think any trade involving a top 10 pick should need to be approved by the majority of the veterans in the league. Unloading a top player for a more balanced team is a strategy that works better for some people than others. It is a well known fact that FPB needs a top player to be competitive. (see blitz this year.. ouch!) The opposite of this would be to look at the teams KG used to win in gdl. He had a balanced attack, and that worked for him.

As long as the trade is fair and the veterans in the league can ensure that an experienced player isn't just taking advantage of a player who is new to the GDL format, then I think trading should be allowed

bigstockphoto_Check_Yes_431128.jpg

So basically the rules comes from Mahavishnu (Some guy who quit because he couldn't handle the NA rules) and then his ''Experience'' with Finnish GM's.

So in big he only consulted people outside of this league and community to make this rule. That's not GDL hockey. That's garbage.

i think a vote would be fair and an honest way of deciding something as high magnitude as this rule change. I dont agree with swos or any one or small group of individuals deciding drastic rule changes. GDL has a long history stemming long before swos or vc came on to the scene. This new rule change affects GDL, on a large scale, i say at the very least, a vote.

i think a vote would be fair and an honest way of deciding something as high magnitude as this rule change. I dont agree with swos or any one or small group of individuals deciding drastic rule changes. GDL has a long history stemming long before swos or vc came on to the scene. This new rule change affects GDL, on a large scale, i say at the very least, a vote.

wtf ur home?

YA WTF PLAY UR WCs

YOUR ONLY ONE JACKING

now no gms will be played all week, GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

YA WTF PLAY UR WCs

YOUR ONLY ONE JACKING

now no gms will be played all week, GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

u guys are both fucked. i was online for 5 days straight all day on AIM including most of last weekend. I didnt see donny or polite once. and i wasnt home when frey msged me today, i made that post an hour before dumbasses.

Just sort out all that stuff on the 2on2 thread or something. That business between yourselves just doesn't fit in this thread.

That business between yourselves just doesn't fit in this thread.

Since you like to add gasoline to the fire (And I was really trying not to be downright rude), there's only one thing I should tell you in order to have you stop.

SHUT THE f**k UP. You let me do whatever the hell I want and whatever I want to write, you guys let anyone else be. For a so-called community, you guys sure are No. 1 when it comes to carrying on like a bunch of Elementary school snotty kids. Frankly, that act's getting old. So just in case you need to hear it again, I'll tell it exactly as it is.

SHUT THE f**k UP.

Thank you.

Edited by Zalex