NHL'94 Forums

[February 17th, 2018 - Brooklyn, NY] Aviator's Retro Video Game Tournament & Expo

Aviator Sports and Events Center, New York’s largest Sports and Events venue, is hosting a retro video game tournament focusing on sports classics on February 17th, 2018. There will be five 32 person tournaments where competitors will play classic retro sports games and win hundreds of dollars worth of prizes! Games include NHL '94, NBA Jam, MLB Slugfest, WWF No Mercy and NFL Blitz,

At the Buy/Sell/Trade Expo portion of the event meet vendors and other retro gamers. Check out your favorite shops and find some new ones as well! You can buy, sell or trade for games, systems, parts, and other pop culture and sports memorabilia.

The event will also be hosting a silent auction, which will feature incredible items such as Stan Lee autographs, Star Wars actors autographs, New York Sports memorabilia and more! (Subject to change)

There will be a panel featuring Patrick Hickey Jr. author of The Minds Behind The Games and Leonard Herman, The Game Scholar, who is regarded as one of the earliest and most respected videogame historians. Leonard is the author of Phoenix: The Fall & Rise of Home Videogames. Learn more about Patrick Hickey Jr.’s book here!

One of the tournaments will be NHL '94 - 32 Person tournament

Price:

Kid $5 

Tournament entry $20

Regular admission to expo: $10

With the link below or the code "NHL94Forum" save 20% off early bird tickets.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/aviators-retro-video-game-tournament-and-expo-tickets-39330643012?discount=NHL94Forum

Tournament Sponsors

Prize Sponsors

Tournament Participant Raffle Sponsor

Edited by Aviator Sports
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, smozoma said:

Cool (and thanks for using the correct title format!)

Maybe a silly question but just to be sure... is NHL'94 one of the games that will be played?

Thanks! Super stoked to be hosting the event. Sorry we didn't make it clear. NHL'94 will be one of the games played. Arda Ocal will be commentating the NHL '94 tournament. We've updated the original post to make it clear.

• smozoma changed the title to [February 17th, 2018 - Brooklyn, NY] Aviator's Retro Video Game Tournament & Expo

I'd like to add this tournament to the quarterly newsletter, are tournaments on all systems, SNES, Genesis?

Is there a way for people to sign-up before the tournament date?

52 minutes ago, jer_33 said:

I'd like to add this tournament to the quarterly newsletter, are tournaments on all systems, SNES, Genesis?

Is there a way for people to sign-up before the tournament date?

Thanks for sharing! Below is the all the tournaments and consoles. We currently have early bird tickets on sale (I'm going to update the original post). I created a special link and discount code for NHL '94 Forum. With the link below or the code "NHL94Forum" newsletter readers can save 20% off early bird tickets.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/aviators-retro-video-game-tournament-and-expo-tickets-39330643012?discount=NHL94Forum

NHL '94 is on Genesis

NBA Jam - SNES or Genesis

MLB Slugfest - PS2

WWF No Mercy - Nintendo 64

NFL Blitz - Nintendo 64

Edited by Aviator Sports

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found the perfect controller for this tournament location. (For the price, it might be worth it just for the Genesis->SNES adapter included)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Beeshu-JET-FIGHTER-CONTROLLER-For-Super-Nintendo-Sega-Genesis-w-SNES-adapter/222828101590?hash=item33e196ffd6:g:2yUAAOSws0Jaem40

• Like 2

If it wasn't the same day as my son's bday party I'd try to get there, but just bad timing.  Hope it runs well, and everyone has a good time!

1 hour ago, corbettkb said:

This sucks. They are saying this is an SNES tournament now. 

On the plus side... Good practice for green bay? Super weird that they'd mess up which console it is though.

On 2/17/2018 at 11:43 AM, corbettkb said:

This sucks. They are saying this is an SNES tournament now. 

Sorry about that, in our communication with the sponsor we talked to them about Genesis. They weren't able to attend so when the dropped off the tournament supplies it was SNES. Live and Learn. Won't happen again. - Eliot

1 hour ago, Aviator Sports said:

Sorry about that, in our communication with the sponsor we talked to them about Genesis. They weren't able to attend so when the dropped off the tournament supplies it was SNES. Live and Learn. Won't happen again. - Eliot

Allgood.  Always appreciate the effort of putting these on, Thanks. 

Congrats corbett!  What a turn of events.  I was considering going but wasn't able to commit the day similar to Raph.  Nice prize.

Eliot, do you think this expo/tournament will happen again?  If so, let us know early on.  I could probably help out with the next one.

21 hours ago, Evan said:

Congrats corbett!  What a turn of events.  I was considering going but wasn't able to commit the day similar to Raph.  Nice prize.

Eliot, do you think this expo/tournament will happen again?  If so, let us know early on.  I could probably help out with the next one.

Hey Evan, the tournament will definitely happen again and NHL '94 will be the returning sports game. Once we settle on a date I'll definitely reach out. Thanks! - Eliot