NHL94 2021 ROM by The Sauce


Sauce
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!

So, just like in past years, I am posting my NHL94 2021 edition ROMs (various updates throughout the season).  

About the ROM:

*32 teams.  Seattle Kraken are included.  The team contains players from the Seattle Metropolitans circa 1917-1919.
*The ROM is based off of the Slapshot67 32-team template.  
*60 Min. OT.
*The ROM has the "weight bug fix". 
*The "stamina hack" is available on the Playoff Version only.  The is a non-stamina hack playoff version as well.
*The ROM has Clockwise's sprite patch.
*The rom has the WAS/WPG freeze bug.  When corrected, it causes an issue for the playoff mode.  If you use Kega Fusion, it will not freeze the player cards for those teams.
*Uniforms have been updated for Calgary, Ottawa, Buffalo and Colorado.  Calgary and Ottawa are going retro this season and Buffalo is returning to their royal blue color.  Colorado will wear blue helmets and pants.  The retro Sens and Flames logos have been added for team selection and center ice.
*Lines/d pairs may not accurate, in several cases, especially, for teams who have coaches who change them every five minutes.  Feel free to change them to what you'd like them to be.  The opening night players are all there for you to select.  There are some "taxi squad" folks as well (but not all).
*Injured/COVID-affected players expected/rumored to be returning during the season are in the active rosters for line changes.  If someone is confirmed as being out for the season (Kucherov, for example) they will be on the roster but inactive for anything but NLC.
UPDATE - 5/19/21:  Kucherov has been added back into the active roster in the Playoffs Edition.


Anywho... enjoy!

The ROM:
v1: Posted on 1/14/21 (start of regular season)

NHL94 2021 V1.bin

vPO: Posted on 5/19/21 (Playoffs Edition)

NHL94 2021 vPO.bin

vPO with SH: Posted on 7/5/21 (Playoffs Edition with Stamina Hack)

NHL94 2021 vPO with SH.bin

NHL94 2021 Title Page.png

MacK Scores.png

DAL vs TBL.png

 

 

 

 

Edited by Sauce
Added Playoffs Edition on 5/19/21. Removed v2-v5.
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
  • Thanks 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi again!  I noticed a potential issue on the Blackhawks roster.  I fixed it.  The ROM has been re-posted.  Sorry about that... no more posting in the wee hours of the morning.  LOL

Assuming there are no reported issues with the ROM, my next post might be a "pre-season" version, with more roster updates, if and when that actually begins/happens.  If I don't do that, I will definitely do an Opening Night version.  

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Final update (assuming no serious issues are reported)... I didn't like the original Title Screen art so I just  changed it.  The original version had too much of the white helmet and jersey color bleeding into the background.  So, I went with a different image and created a background that allows the white to pop.  I'm sure my fellow ROM editors know the frustration of trying to get something that you like for the finished product.  LOL

Anywho... if you downloaded the original post, only the Title Screen art changed so no need to re-download unless you want the new image.  :)

Cheers!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome work as always, @Sauce.

I have just knocked this together in a few minutes, just in case anyone wants it for RetroArch.  It will need resizing depending on what system you use.

NHL 94 - 2010s Covers - 2020-21 Edition (Way Too Early Edition) (Cover).png

Edited by LaTormenta
I clearly cannot spell!
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LaTormenta said:

Awesome work as always, @Sauce.

I have just knocked this together in a few minutes, just in case anyone wants it for RetroArch.  It will need resizing depending on what system you use.

NHL 94 - 2010s Covers - 2020-21 Edition (Way Too Early Edition) (Cover).png

Thats a cool cover to reflect the times. it would be cool if you could find a picture of one of the rinks used during the playoffs.

Maybe make a rom with no fans in the stands???

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Tabs3121 said:

Thats a cool cover to reflect the times. it would be cool if you could find a picture of one of the rinks used during the playoffs.

Maybe make a rom with no fans in the stands???

 

This is the best picture I could find (at this time of night!), so hopefully it does the job. 

The problem with the rink pictures seems to be that very few are taken with a wide angle lens, so there is not much "dead space" at the side of the actually rink to stop it fading into white, if that makes sense.  If you happen to find a high resolution one, post it by all means and I'll have another stab at it.

  NHL 94 - 2010s Covers - 2020-21 Edition (Way Too Early Edition) (Cover V2).png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Tabs3121 said:

Thats a cool cover to reflect the times. it would be cool if you could find a picture of one of the rinks used during the playoffs.

Maybe make a rom with no fans in the stands???

 

Disagree... the NHL already stated it doesn't want to start the next season (of which this ROM is based) if it can't have fan attendance in any capacity.  The image is more apropos for my playoff rom vs this version.

However, I do like the work that @LaTormenta did with his image.  Nice job!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LaTormenta said:

And this is along the lines of the ones I have done in my mega-thread elsewhere:

NHL 94 - 2020s Covers - 2020-21 Edition (Way Too Early Edition) (Cover V3).png

This image makes perfect sense.  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Sauce Great work on the latest ROM!  I always look forward to new updates.  I like the new jersey colours, especially the new navy ones for the Jets.

I know nothing of ROM editing, but would it be possible to implement third jerseys?  Perhaps a toggle on the start menu?  If it's impossible to do, no worries, but it would be super cool.  Just an idea.  

Edited by ehlerscheif93
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ehlerscheif93 said:

@Sauce Great work on the latest ROM!  I always look forward to new updates.  I like the new jersey colours, especially the new navy ones for the Jets.

I know nothing of ROM editing, but would it be possible to implement third jerseys?  Perhaps a toggle on the start menu?  If it's impossible to do, no worries, but it would be super cool.  Just an idea.  

Thanks...unfortunately, that functionality doesn't exist.  3rd jerseys didn't become a thing, in the NHL, until 1995-96 so it wasn't a thought for the developers of the game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Sauce said:

Thanks...unfortunately, that functionality doesn't exist.  3rd jerseys didn't become a thing, in the NHL, until 1995-96 so it wasn't a thought for the developers of the game.

Ah, got it.  That makes sense.  

Edited by ehlerscheif93
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Sauce said:

Final update (assuming no serious issues are reported)... I didn't like the original Title Screen art so I just  changed it.  The original version had too much of the white helmet and jersey color bleeding into the background.  So, I went with a different image and created a background that allows the white to pop.  I'm sure my fellow ROM editors know the frustration of trying to get something that you like for the finished product.  LOL

Anywho... if you downloaded the original post, only the Title Screen art changed so no need to re-download unless you want the new image.  :)

Cheers!

It is, hands down, my least favorite part of making a ROM. So much work goes into finding out that you picked a lousy image and it doesn't look good in-game...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always love and appreciate your passion and updated ROMS @Sauce. I always download your newest updates but I don't always leave my grateful gratitude for you buddy. Just wanted to let you know you always do a great job and the many that dl & play your creations thank you for it! :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fiddz said:

Always love and appreciate your passion and updated ROMS @Sauce. I always download your newest updates but I don't always leave my grateful gratitude for you buddy. Just wanted to let you know you always do a great job and the many that dl & play your creations thank you for it! :dal_skater_hand_grab:

Thanks @Fiddz!  I appreciate your kind words!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tell you what- these Genesis hacks might be what it takes to stop playing SNES. The amount of time you guys are putting into these mods deserves it!

Question- do you (or others) change/modify the in-game sound effects? That's primary why I don't play Genesis versions; they drive me crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DEG3ORGE said:

Tell you what- these Genesis hacks might be what it takes to stop playing SNES. The amount of time you guys are putting into these mods deserves it!

Question- do you (or others) change/modify the in-game sound effects? That's primary why I don't play Genesis versions; they drive me crazy.

Yes, a whole lot of time/effort does go into them.  But, it is worth it.

No, I do not change/modify the sounds.  I can't speak to what the others do but feel free to ask them on their posts as most appear happy to discuss their own work.  I long since solved the issue of hearing things I don't want to hear.  I simply press on the volume button on my laptop or TV until it is zero.  Problem solved.  :)

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@mitch13 caught a headshot mistake within the ROM, and was kind enough to hit me up.  Thanks Mitch!  I felt it was worthy of a timely fix (as opposed to waiting for the next version) so I took care of it and the rom has been re-posted in the OP.

Cheers!

Edited by Sauce
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jkline3 said:

DAL new.jpg

Don't adjust your TV...

That's the Stars new alternate jersey color scheme.  Rumor has it, many teams will have a "4th jersey" this year.  I saw Vegas' the other day.  Gotta make money back so way/how.

This will not be in my roms as it is an alternate.
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Sauce said:

That's the Stars new alternate jersey color scheme.  Rumor has it, many teams will have a "4th jersey" this year.  I saw Vegas' the other day.  Gotta make money back so way/how.

This will not be in my roms as it is an alternate.
 

Not going to follow the NFL's lead with a Color Rush version of the ROM? :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Jkline3 said:

Not going to follow the NFL's lead with a Color Rush version of the ROM? :lol:

Nah... just sticking with the standard Home/Away schemes.  :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, DEG3ORGE said:

@Sauce I might've run into a bug, or maybe it's just me, but when I at the startup screen and Dmitry Orlov's player card comes up the ROM freezes and requires a restart. I replicated the issue three times to be sure.




 

WSH/WPG all freeze on the 32 team rom.  Switch to Kega Fusion and that won't happen.  You'll still see the 3s but it won't freeze.  It's a well-known issue with the expansion of the 32-team rom.  There is a way to fix it but, it disables something else.  Not worth it.  

Edited by Sauce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Sauce said:

WSH & WPG freeze on the 32 team rom.  Switch to Kega Fusion and that won't happen.  You'll still see the 3s but it won't freeze.  It's a well-known issue with the expansion of the 32-team rom.  There is a way to fix it but, it disables something else.  Not worth it.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sauce said:

 

By 3s, I mean the 8 mysterious 3s you see in your image.  Although, in KF, I see 16 when I look at the VGK, WSG and WPG player portraits.  You'll also see the images, in B&W, if you use Kega Fusion.

Screenshot.jpg

Edited by Sauce
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sauce changed the title to NHL94 2021 ROM by The Sauce

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share