NHL'94 Forums

Speed Test

Scribe99

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

I think it works better if you pick the server closest to you. From Chicago I'm getting a paltry 422 kbps DL rate (on what is supposed to be a 6 mb DL connection) but my upload is great at 1325 kbps. I know that upload speeds are pretty important for gaming but that DL speed is really messed up to the point that I'm not getting anywhere near what I pay for. I have Comcast.

Let's hear some some others.

I have Optimum Online Boost...

Last Result:

Download Speed: 23478 kbps (2934.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 4254 kbps (531.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

(I've gotten download speeds up to 24,000 kbps and uploads speeds about 5,000 kbps)

-Evan

I have Optimum Online Boost...

Last Result:

Download Speed: 23478 kbps (2934.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 4254 kbps (531.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

(I've gotten download speeds up to 24,000 kbps and uploads speeds about 5,000 kbps)

-Evan

Wow, that's crazy. I'm bug checking everything from my router to my cable right now before I call Comcast about my connection. I wish I had Optimum out here in the Twin Cities.

[Edit] -- Ok just tested by directly connecting without my router and I got:

Download Speed: 11157 kbps (1394.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1308 kbps (163.5 KB/sec transfer rate

Looks like I need a new router!

I'm in Glendale, CA (right outside of Los Angeles)

Los Angeles: UL 4909 / DL 490

San Francisco: UL 4903 / DL 490

Chicago: UL 3442 / DL 472

New York: UL 2924 / DL 477

Do you have those numbers backwards? Usually DL is much faster than UL.

I'm in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Seattle: DL 2176 / UL 511

San Francisco: DL 2177 / UL 507

L.A.: DL 2176 / UL 515

Dallas: DL 2179 / UL 508

• 11 months later...

seattle dl/2566----ul/955

ny dl/1586----ul/845

tor dl/1211----ul/947

chi dl/1546----ul/950

whats with the bad toronto connection :(

swos supposed to be in finland and i connect great with him :lol:

and i seem to connect better through servers than p2p occasionally

these tests were done at speedtest.net

These tests don't mean too much. Ping/latency is all that's really important. The game doesn't use much bandwidth, probably like.. 50kbps of that 400kbps or whatever your upload score might be on those tests. Though low latency will improve your score.. it's just not a direct relationship, anyway.

I've had great games with swos too. I think the key thing is a steady connection, not necessarily an extremely fast connection. At least with p2p, I can play opponents who I have a high ping with, like swos it's near 150, yet if the connection is steady p2p handles it fine.

The problems start to occur when people have connections that jump all over the place. Next time you try p2p watch the ping that it shows when you connect to someone. If the number bounces around, that means at least one person has an unsteady connection. All of those fluctuations are going to make lag and button delays. In that situation your only option is to use the smoothing function and hope for the best.

It'd be great if the people who have unsteady connections could look into anything that could be causing it (i.e. other people downloading, router or modem issues).

These tests don't mean too much. Ping/latency is all that's really important. The game doesn't use much bandwidth, probably like.. 50kbps of that 400kbps or whatever your upload score might be on those tests. Though low latency will improve your score.. it's just not a direct relationship, anyway.

And smozoma I don't think its necessarily even a low ping, although that will of course improve things, but a steady ping is what really makes these games playable. With hokkeefan and swos, I often have pings over 100 yet because all of us have steady connections the gameplay is great.

I live near Philly here's mine

NY:Download Speed: 8511 kbps (1063.9 KB/sec transfer rate)/Upload Speed: 1467 kbps (183.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

CHI:Download Speed: 7564 kbps (945.5 KB/sec transfer rate)/Upload Speed: 1479 kbps (184.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

LA:Download Speed: 4680 kbps (585 KB/sec transfer rate)/Upload Speed: 1142 kbps (142.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

DC:Download Speed: 9610 kbps (1201.3 KB/sec transfer rate)/Upload Speed: 1489 kbps (186.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

oregon... my results

SEA:

17372 kbps download

1522 kbps upload

LA:

18825 kbps download

1523 kbps upload

NY:

10241 kbps download

1504 kbps upload

TX:

7893 kbps download

1523 kbps uplaod

Wow, I don't understand why my connection is all over the map. I have a cable internet connection with no routers or anything. KingsCupRun and I couldn't even play a game p2p the game was so laggy. Any ideas??

And smozoma I don't think its necessarily even a low ping, although that will of course improve things, but a steady ping is what really makes these games playable. With hokkeefan and swos, I often have pings over 100 yet because all of us have steady connections the gameplay is great.

Hm, that's true, a consistently high ping is going to be ok, just consistently a bit lagged. 100ms really isn't all that bad -- a 1/10th of a second doesn't mean much when a typical human reaction time is greater than 1/4 second.

Still, ping is more important than any info gained from these tests, unless you score an abysmal 100/50 on the tests instead of say 3000/400.

If you took a nighttime 'baseline' measurement and then did a daytime measurement, you might see the degradation caused by daytime traffic, which could indicate that your ping wouldn't be consistent and would cause a bumpy game. But on their own, these measurements posted here say very little.

Not that they aren't interesting to see.

My provider recently increased our upload bandwidth caps, but it doesn't improve ping as far as I know / can tell.

ok i have a question ...why does swos connect perfect with me living in finland and i cant connect as good with dmac who is 300 miles away?

I think Dmac's connection is just unsteady. Watch when you connect to someone with p2p and you can see the shared ping between you and your opponent. If it sits at say 85, and then repeatedly jumps to 500 for a split second, that spike will cause major problems in the gameplay.

There are two things going on here.

The first is lag ... When the gameplay stutters or becomes choppy, that happens because someone's connection spikes, where it runs steady for a bit and then slows down for a moment.

The other thing is delay. With P2P, delay is locked in at the start of each game based on the ping. The further two players are from each other, the higher the ping will be. P2P looks at your ping and then sets the delay accordingly.

For example, a P2P ping of 100 will be set near 4 or 5 frames of delay. Compare that to server play. On servers, the delay is set at 8 frames of delay for everyone regardless of their ping. So a ping of 100 is still about twice as responsive on P2P than any ping on normal server play. And the game should be smooth, as long as the connection doesn't spike fast and slow.

That is what the frame delay is there for. While you lose some control, the delay makes it so the game runs smooth and is very playable.

Still, ping is more important than any info gained from these tests, unless you score an abysmal 100/50 on the tests instead of say 3000/400.

Yep, completely agree. As long as your score isn't below a certain threshold you should be fine, assuming your connection is consistent and steady.

Although these tests are one diagnostic for people having issues.