NHL'94 Forums

My 2 Cents

jrodimus

So over the last couple of weeks, i'm following these great playoff races in both conferences of the gdl. Guys like Kingscup and Smo went on these insane streaks to fight for the final playoff spot in their respective conferences-very exciting! I figured these races would literally come down to the last day, and it looked like they would.

Like many coaches, i read donch's post about when the season would come to an end(Jan 28). I figured that most guys would hunker down and get their last few reg season games in this weekend. Most did, but a few guys either didn't or couldn't.

Under Donch's old system, DNP's would be docked 3 pts each, but i never understood if that would count for everyone or the guys who didn't make an effort to play the games(post in a thread, AIM). Recently Gr8 posted a thread suggesting that only the player with more games played earn two pts for his DNP's. Sounded like a better idea to me at the time.

However, something about this just doesn't sit right with me, particularly when ppl will miss the playoffs due to a competitor earning "free" points under this newest system.

Personally, i'd be a little pissed if i busted my butt the last couple of weeks to fight for a playoff spot, and missed out due to this system. I'm not quite sure how i would remedy the situation, but perhaps a playoff between the two teams fighting for a spot would be a fair solution. Bottom line, I just don't think someone should miss the playoffs because a rival team didn't play a particular opponent.

Donch, please don't take this rant the wrong way, because i think you've done an amazing job with this league-I know i couldn't do it. But i had to voice my opinion.-Jrod

Hey Jrod,

I see what you're saying and I'm not taking what you said the wrong way.

It's very hard to determine how to handle this situation.

Either method used (either the one I made, or gr81's idea) is going to screw over someone. Of course that is something I really want to avoid.

If anyone has a solution that is fair and just and that won't screw anyone over, I would love for someone to mention the idea.

Its unfortunate that everyone was unable to get 56 games finished in 2 1/2 months.

In fact only 6 coaches out of 24 have finished their entire schedule. (25%)

Since the deadlines did just about nothing to make people play their games on time, it almost seems better to let the season drag on a little more because as you said there are exciting playoff races that are ongoing. It would suck to have them determined or given to coaches by other coaches not getting their games in.

I mean I'm down for the season continuing, and having the coaches earn their spots in the playoffs. But I don't want it to take forever.

How do others feel about this?

On a personal level i think i deserve some extra time, i dont expect everyone to wait for me, but ive made a great effort to catch up and i think i could use another few days to get my last 7 games in.

As for another solution to the issue at hand, i personally cant think of anything, however a playoff would be a good idea for those who are involved in tough playoff races and affected by ghost points.

I agree with JROD it would piss me off to work my ass off make a run and lose my playoff spot to ghost points.

I really think this situation is a major dilemma because there is NO way possible in pleasing or being fair to everyone, so what we must do is be fair to the masses and have to deal with the fact that either someone or some people will get their toes stepped on. Its a part of real life and its going to have to be a part of this league.

The thing that irks me about letting the league go on is that it only serves a purpose for a select few and it causes the masses to go through more aimless waiting for the playoffs to start in order to either play, or wait for it to all end so we can start up again. If we allow another week or whatever it is we decide on, then we will only be forced to watch more people not adjust or be unable to adjust to a deadline and even fewer games will be played thus aggrevating several people.

So that brings me to the conclusion of ending the season tonight, so how do we go about doing that though? Well i think we look at the situation here and evaluate with a combo of both solutions. We award people with more games played 2 points in the matchups they have with people with fewer games and where people are tied, 1 pt each is awarded.

Where we combine the two though is with this element, when the person with fewer games is a grotesque offender, they lose 2 points as opposed to have nothing adjusted to their point total.

No we go into the grey area of defining a "grotesque offender" (by the way, i just love that word...grotesque...damn thats awsome) But what i mean by that word is people who were either largely or completely unavailable over the last 1-2 weeks of season play. By definition from what ive seen, only one person falls under that category...vocally caged.

He has been available once in the last two weeks and caused a lot of managers a lot of agony in waiting and searching for him, he is also experiencing massive technical problems and there is no word on when he may return to action. So if we let him in the playoffs, then we are only creating a situation that will delay playoffs or give his matchup a free pass into the next round. I feel that is something we must avoid.

With that rule in place, vocal would no longer qualify for the playoffs and it will step on the fewest peoples toes since we are advancing to playoffs and rewarding people who played games. I personally have nothing against vocal and i think he is a good player and a great member of the league, but considering the situation i think it is a step that must be taken in order to be fair to the most people.

Thats my two cents, i hope to see more opinions posted tomorrow and i really do hope the season ends as of right now.

AJ

P.S. Im really sorry vocal, its nothing against you, i hope you can understand.

AJ, i was online when u made this post we could have played our games..

If u had time for this post you could have had time for our games or at least one.

If you are against there being an extention on the season, at least make a honest effort to play your games.

I am on aim most of the evening every single day, theres no need to avoid me. Its 4am here and im searching for games cause the league means something to me.

I agree with what AJ stated. If in fact the only team that suffers is VC (no disresepct to VC) then that would seem to be the most fair system. Sure playoff positions may change but that's a small sacrifice to move into the playoffs on time.

Sebe you've made a great effort to get in 30+ games since taking over for Tesslog. You would still more then qualify for the playoffs based on either system Donche has at his disposal.

I'm not quite sure what calling out AJ will do on this message board however. AJ has been on almost non-stop the last week or so. I've been trying to connect with you for 2o2 games but hadn't seen you on the last 3-4 days (the most critical part of the season). As you know, I'm on too much, at least in my wifes eyes.

On a side note, Donche, if the system put in place causes an active owner to lose out on the playoffs, then maybe we can do a one game playoff between the two teams to decide who gets the playoff position.

Overall, I think close to 95% games played by season end is pretty solid.

Great season fella's, and great job Donche!

Respectfully,

IceBag

AJ, i was online when u made this post we could have played our games..

If u had time for this post you could have had time for our games or at least one.

If you are against there being an extention on the season, at least make a honest effort to play your games.

I am on aim most of the evening every single day, theres no need to avoid me. Its 4am here and im searching for games cause the league means something to me.

Allow me to respond to this post point by point:

Great you were online, way to go.

Actually i didnt have the time available to devote to a game because i was occupied with other things and i choose not to disclose them because its really not any of your business to be quite frank about it.

I was actually against the 1st extension, but i kept my mouth shut because it was what donch wanted and i felt it would be helpful and be the best situation for the masses. I made an honest attempt to play my games, as icestorm said, ive been here a LOT, only to either be told by you that your busy or to never see other people online while im around. I suppose it would be appropriate for me to apologize and say im sorry sebe that i didnt stay on for 10 hours yesterday as opposed to the 7 hours i was on. (god help me, i hope you get the sarcasm in that)

And great, your online most evenings and days, yet you tell me your busy 90% of the time i ask for a game. And your on at 4 in the morning? just go to bed, no one is coming onto play, as a west coast guy, i would know that outside of Kingscuprun, no one else will likely be online. If youre so worried about a deadline, be online when other people actually might be around.

And to elaborate on what else ive seen you write since you took the time to call me out tonight:

I find it rather unneccessary for you to keep complaining and pointing out that you took over a team with fewer games. I'll run down the points id like to make in bullet format so its reader friendly.

A. You had 2 and a half weeks.

B. You only had 34 games to play, thats less then 2 games a day on average.

C. You had every game available to you since you took over the team, you didnt have to wait for games to open up

D. You knew what you were getting into, if you cant handle it, get out.

E. You told me and others i assume countless times that you were busy when your online

F. Plenty of other managers, including myself have played just as many if not more games than you in a shorter time frame. So we dont feel sorry for you.

G. My solution was designed to help you in by not deducting points from your total, so calling me out was wholly inappropriate and it was not an actual reply to my suggestion for the league. I asked for comments on what i proposed, not on my supposed unavailability at 1 in the morning.

H. Get over yourself, ive played every game in every league ive been in, this is the FIRST time ive never finished a schedule.

Do your homework and cover your own ass before you decide to attack a vet.

And thank you icestorm for actually commenting on what i said in my post and having my back, i greatly appreciate it and i wish you luck in the OSL finals.

If I get my game in with EA tonight, I'll have 2 games left against Vocally Caged, and 1 against Hurray. From the sounds of it, those guys probably won't be around at all.

So extending the deadline likely won't make a difference in the case of my team's schedule.

If I get my game in with EA tonight, I'll have 2 games left against Vocally Caged, and 1 against Hurray. From the sounds of it, those guys probably won't be around at all.

So extending the deadline likely won't make a difference in the case of my team's schedule.

I'll be around tonight Scribe... just like every weeknight.

--> Extensions only allow leniency towards the problem. The cut off date has been set, to move it shows WEAKNESS!!!!!!

p.s. Man I want to accuse people of not being online, but that doesn't really solve much. If you missed some games... you take part of the blame.

I'll be around tonight Scribe... just like every weeknight.

--> Extensions only allow leniency towards the problem. The cut off date has been set, to move it shows WEAKNESS!!!!!!

p.s. Man I want to accuse people of not being online, but that doesn't really solve much. If you missed some games... you take part of the blame.

Cool, I'll look for you.

llow me to respond to this post point by point:

Great you were online, way to go.

Actually i didnt have the time available to devote to a game because i was occupied with other things and i choose not to disclose them because its really not any of your business to be quite frank about it.

I was actually against the 1st extension, but i kept my mouth shut because it was what donch wanted and i felt it would be helpful and be the best situation for the masses. I made an honest attempt to play my games, as icestorm said, ive been here a LOT, only to either be told by you that your busy or to never see other people online while im around. I suppose it would be appropriate for me to apologize and say im sorry sebe that i didnt stay on for 10 hours yesterday as opposed tothe 7 hours i was on. (god help me, i hope you get the sarcasm in that)

And great, your online most evenings and days, yet you tell me your busy 90% of the time i ask for a game. And your on at 4 in the morning? just go to bed, no one is coming onto play, as a west coast guy, i would know that outside of Kingscuprun, no one else will likely be online. If youre so worried about a deadline, be online when other people actually might be around.

And to elaborate on what else ive seen you write since you took the time to call me out tonight:

I find it rather unneccessary for you to keep complaining and pointing out that you took over a team with fewer games. I'll run down the points id like to make in bullet format so its reader friendly.

A. You had 2 and a half weeks.

B. You only had 34 games to play, thats less then 2 games a day on average.

C. You had every game available to you since you took over the team, you didnt have to wait for games to open up

D. You knew what you were getting into, if you cant handle it, get out.

E. You told me and others i assume countless times that you were busy when your online

F. Plenty of other managers, including myself have played just as many if not more games than you in a shorter time frame. So we dont feel sorry for you.

G. My solution was designed to help you in by not deducting points from your total, so calling me out was wholly inappropriate and it was not an actual reply to my suggestion for the league. I asked for comments on what i proposed, not on my supposed unavailability at 1 in the morning.

H. Get over yourself, ive played every game in every league ive been in, this is the FIRST time ive never finished a schedule.

Do your homework and cover your own ass before you decide to attack a vet.

And thank you icestorm for actually commenting on what i said in my post and having my back, i greatly appreciate it and i wish you luck in the OSL finals.

Im not looking for pity from anyone about being behind in games, im just hoping that my situation be treated in a specialized manner due to the fact that i took over the team late, i shouldn't be penalized for unfinished games in the same manner as those who have had considerably more time than i have to complete all their games. If a coach(that has not taken over a team) needed to play as many games as myself in the period of time that I had to, thats because they haven't been managing their time effectively. There is more than ample time to get games done, by the deadline, if u have your team from the start. I understand that some coaches have a particularly unique situation that may dictate reasons for not meeting the deadline, i don't have issue with that.

Im not looking for u to disclose your personal reasons for not being able to play a ten minute video game, im just having a hard time understanding how u, in the midst of this personal occupation that u were so intensely consumed with, found time to visit the forum, take the time to construct a reply on this thread, and log on to AIM and then disappear before i could msg u. I believe someone who is truly consumed by personal commitment isnt going to be online surfing the NHL94 website and signing on AIM. Thats just my opinion. If u managed to escape from your personal obligations, the question i need to pose is, what is more prudent; making a post about the GDL situation and your disapproval of the request for a few extra days, or to actually play one of the games u need to play on the dawn of the last day of the GDL regular season.

I admit i am busy when u and some of the other coaches msg me. That is because i log on to AIM at work, in the hopes to contact other coaches to set up games when i am available, and let those coaches know when i am available. If i was a coach that had been hard to get a hold of i don't think i would have played as many games as i have in the short time i was given.

Your "solution" may have been designed in your eyes to help me in by not deducting points from my total. I disagree with that because I dont think anyone should be deducted points regardless of your intended "solution". I understand that a solution to this problem is not easy to find, and i also understand that the 2 games we have left don't hold much water for playoff spots for u and i, however there are scoring races and the integrity of the league that needs to be taken into consideration.

I dont see how doing my homework would have any direct impact on the fact that u decided not to play our games and make a post on the forum instead.

Im not attacking anyone, i just felt like u were deliberately avoiding me, given what i saw last night.

A true vet wouldn't use his status as an attempt to intimidate a "rookie". It appears that u are implying that it is ok to question anyone else but a vet, but its not ok to question u because u are a vet.

I agree with what AJ stated. If in fact the only team that suffers is VC (no disresepct to VC) then that would seem to be the most fair system. Sure playoff positions may change but that's a small sacrifice to move into the playoffs on time.

Sebe you've made a great effort to get in 30+ games since taking over for Tesslog. You would still more then qualify for the playoffs based on either system Donche has at his disposal.

I'm not quite sure what calling out AJ will do on this message board however. AJ has been on almost non-stop the last week or so. I've been trying to connect with you for 2o2 games but hadn't seen you on the last 3-4 days (the most critical part of the season). As you know, I'm on too much, at least in my wifes eyes.

On a side note, Donche, if the system put in place causes an active owner to lose out on the playoffs, then maybe we can do a one game playoff between the two teams to decide who gets the playoff position.

Overall, I think close to 95% games played by season end is pretty solid.

Great season fella's, and great job Donche!

Respectfully,

IceBag

In response to you Ice, if DD was to implement the 3pt deduction per DNP, i could most certainly miss the playoffs. At the time of the post i had 8 games left to play. Now i only have 6 but it would still affect my playoff position immensely.

As for 2on2, i have been online the last 3-4 days, perhaps not at the same time as u. Its a different ball game trying to play 2on2, u need to collaborate with 3 other coaches. I look forward to playing our games and will try to make a more valiant effort to be around at different times of day. I work 12 hour days so im mostly online after 10pm EST.

Im not looking for u to disclose your personal reasons for not being able to play a ten minute video game, im just having a hard time understanding how u, in the midst of this personal occupation that u were so intensely consumed with, found time to visit the forum, take the time to construct a reply on this thread, and log on to AIM and then disappear before i could msg u. I believe someone who is truly consumed by personal commitment isnt going to be online surfing the NHL94 website and signing on AIM. Thats just my opinion. If u managed to escape from your personal obligations, the question i need to pose is, what is more prudent; making a post about the GDL situation and your disapproval of the request for a few extra days, or to actually play one of the games u need to play on the dawn of the last day of the GDL regular season.

I dont see how doing my homework would have any direct impact on the fact that u decided not to play our games and make a post on the forum instead.

Im not attacking anyone, i just felt like u were deliberately avoiding me, given what i saw last night.

A true vet wouldn't use his status as an attempt to intimidate a "rookie". It appears that u are implying that it is ok to question anyone else but a vet, but its not ok to question u because u are a vet.

Few quick points before im gone for the day until very late. What i was doing during that time allowed me to make a post on the forum while i was attending to my other business, i also had the chance to speak with donch for 5-10 minutes about what we were going to do about the deadline. I briefly looked for donch's status and it said he was sleeping, thus i was done with AIM because i had no time for anything else.

You are the last person that should be commenting on this anyhow, as i have seen you make posts countless times on the forum only to tell me you cant play a game or you are not even signed into the messenger. Obviously me being available to play a game for 7 hours yesterday and several hours for the last several days was not enough to appease you in any manner.

I never said it was never ok to question a vet, go back, read what i wrote and remember that words matter and i speak very plainly because i believe that words matter. I just said do your homework and realize what a situation is before you start randomly calling out people. Its common sense and common courtesy.

nah you were definitely not online past 4 days or so, for 2on2.

EA hasnt been on past 5 nights, also. So basically the whole tourny gets delayed from this. I wanted the season round to finish in a week... overall aside from few guys being completely missing, Everybody, has been available, and its been going smoothly. Most nights, atleast 2 other teams are on between 7-12pm est.

So try to get a few games in, the 2on2 format has always been very hard to get everybody on same time. But this week was really good, with almost everybody on.

As for gdl, I think we should just use the deadline (tonight). Extending it wont make any difference, as vocally caged wont be buying a new controller/new computer anytime soon looks like.

We all know how the playoffs are gona go anyway, 6months per round.

We definitely need to do a one week per round deadline, as well as require both owners to post their respective availability on the forum, so that we have a record of who attempted to get the games in before the deadline. That way, if a series doesn't finish, the win is awarded to the owner who showed the most consistent effort in scheduling the games.

We definitely need to do a one week per round deadline, as well as require both owners to post their respective availability on the forum, so that we have a record of who attempted to get the games in before the deadline. That way, if a series doesn't finish, the win is awarded to the owner who showed the most consistent effort in scheduling the games.

precisely.

well i think that the draft should be done according to peoples regular season records and somehow people should be penalized for not finishing there games.like being put near last in a non snaking draft and it should go least games played gets demoted to last in draft and the next slacker gets 2nd worst pick and so on and so on.but after you put the slackers at the bottom then after their positioned then put 1st place guy and work your way up to top of draft.or just get rid of the 4 worst slackers and go with 20 teams instead.(not sure if you guys follow this but im fricken over tired and ready for bed)

nah you were definitely not online past 4 days or so, for 2on2.

EA hasnt been on past 5 nights, also. So basically the whole tourny gets delayed from this. I wanted the season round to finish in a week... overall aside from few guys being completely missing, Everybody, has been available, and its been going smoothly. Most nights, atleast 2 other teams are on between 7-12pm est.

So try to get a few games in, the 2on2 format has always been very hard to get everybody on same time. But this week was really good, with almost everybody on.

As for gdl, I think we should just use the deadline (tonight). Extending it wont make any difference, as vocally caged wont be buying a new controller/new computer anytime soon looks like.

so b/c i was online for the 3 weeks prior trying to set up games and wasn't able to play the last 5 nights, I should be penalized???

That doesn't make sense.

Agreed. The playoffs should start tonight as planned, people should not be given more days for games that were supposed to played weeks ago.

Also, I don't think anybody should get points for games that AREN'T played. It's not fair for people like me who play all of their games and then suddenly someone might get a higher seed in the playoffs just because they couldn't get all their games in, that doesn't make sense!

I know it has been very hard to find VC, but people should not be rewarded for that. For games that haven't been played, I think nothing should happen if the player has tried to be online to play all of their games, but if they have made little or no attempts to finish off their season, a point or two should be deducted for each missed game.

That's my two cents.