NHL'94 Forums

Fall Classic Playoffs!

metzgerism

BTW, I'm not changing any of the seedings, so please play your series everyone.

AJ, here are the standings with Washington removed:

0000xk4.png

I took a look at both this standings sheet and the one with Washington included, in order to decide who gets into the playoffs.

The first thing I did was drop skool out of the playoffs, because:

A) He was not IN the playoffs in either scenario. He was either 9th or 10th.

...and that was my only reason.

Bo got the play-in because:

A) He was tied for 8th with WSH included.

:) He had a chance to be tied for 8th with WSH excluded.

C) I didn't think that either one of the players was responsible for the unplayed set.

D) A play-in seemed like the most fair and correct way to amend the situation (plus he was tied on points with Carse anyways).

And so the "tough" decision had to be made (I didn't find it all that tough, it made sense to me at the time and still does now).

You'll notice that without Washington the seedings would be a little different, but I decided that since people actually endeavored to play him, those games should count for something...so they got the nod in seeding.

So...Bo who has 3 less points than skool and 2 unplayed games (in the standings without washington) gets a play in due to the fact that he COULD have gotten into 8th. Ok, so the bottom line is still, youre rewarding a guy who did not play games, i dont really care whos fault it is or isnt, the fact of the matter is they were both very active and they didnt play, you dont just hand out assumed points or possibilities. You punish people for not playing their games.

And i know skool, he hounded ken for games, is it his fault that ken didnt give him anything to work with, no schedule, no set day, no games, no nothing. The guy didnt play his games, its not skools fault. So, you either have carse being the 7th or 8th depending on how you decide the Washington situation, or you have skool, bo, carse, and fredey involved in a play in. Picking one guy for the reasons you state is just not something i can sit here and agree with.

Especially when i see the snes bracket, which quite frankly, is just awful, you two have people played less their half their games and get A playoff spots, thats just flat out weak. It tells me that the time i spent hunting down the people i did to make sure i got my games in was worth nothing, or next to nothing depending on your view.

If you stick by what your saying and refuse to change seedings, then i withdraw from A gens playoffs, then you can have your 8 teams, because i disagree that much with how the bracket is being handled.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you stick by what your saying and refuse to change seedings, then i withdraw from A gens playoffs, then you can have your 8 teams, because i disagree that much with how the bracket is being handled.

AJ as a commish of GDL5 that had issues that divided the league, people threatened to quit but in the end everyone accepted your decisions (not necessarily agreed with them) and moved forward. I would hope you would show the same respect for Metz who's making a decision you don't agree with.

Once again another reason to have a tribunal available to aid in these scenarios.

BTW the scenario with washington thrown out would've made me a 3rd seed as opposed to 5th. But I do agree with Metz's reasoning. EIther way Skool is out of the playoffs. The only real difference is whether carse and Bo have to have a play-in series.

AJ as a commish of GDL5 that had issues that divided the league, people threatened to quit but in the end everyone accepted your decisions (not necessarily agreed with them) and moved forward. I would hope you would show the same respect for Metz who's making a decision you don't agree with.

The big difference here is that skool and bo arent causing any problems anywhere you look, they both are respectful, very nice, funny, and they play their games, i apologize to bo, if it seems like im trying to single him out here and get him out of the picture, you arent a bad guy for not playing 2 of 30 games in a season. All i'm pointing out is you either have bo and skool, or neither in the playoff picture. Guys are being rewarded league wide for not playing their games against active players, it goes against the very fabric of everything that has ever been preached in any league.

My time is just as valuable as everyone elses, but some dude who plays 13 or 14 games gets the chance to play for the same championship im playing for is just completely unacceptable.

Looking at the whole picture, is it that hard to allow skool into a 3 game play-in, the dude is active, and he'd get his games done in a snap. You're giving a chance to 4 guys in snes who either played less then half their schedule or barely above it the same opportunity based on pure speculation of where they may have ended up in the standings or the fact that they were still "mathematically alive" to sneak into the 8th spot had every game been played. When you can actually justify to me why they get a play in and skool doesnt, ill relent, until that day though, i'm out.

The big difference here is that skool and bo arent causing any problems anywhere you look, they both are respectful, very nice, funny, and they play their games, i apologize to bo, if it seems like im trying to single him out here and get him out of the picture, you arent a bad guy for not playing 2 of 30 games in a season. All i'm pointing out is you either have bo and skool, or neither in the playoff picture. Guys are being rewarded league wide for not playing their games against active players, it goes against the very fabric of everything that has ever been preached in any league.

My time is just as valuable as everyone elses, but some dude who plays 13 or 14 games gets the chance to play for the same championship im playing for is just completely unacceptable.

Looking at the whole picture, is it that hard to allow skool into a 3 game play-in, the dude is active, and he'd get his games done in a snap. You're giving a chance to 4 guys in snes who either played less then half their schedule or barely above it the same opportunity based on pure speculation of where they may have ended up in the standings or the fact that they were still "mathematically alive" to sneak into the 8th spot had every game been played. When you can actually justify to me why they get a play in and skool doesnt, ill relent, until that day though, i'm out.

sorry man, i was only referring to gensA, I don't have any idea whats going on in snes.

sorry man, i was only referring to gensA, I don't have any idea whats going on in snes.

its aight babe, im using both leagues as examples since im in both.

But the jist of it is in snes, 4 guys who played between 12-16 games are getting playins into the A playoffs, that aint kosher.

i'm not in gens, but i've been following this thread and this is the silliest debate ever. the first criterion for playoff seedings is PTS. Bo and snoboarder tied for the 8th spot in PTS, thats why they are in the play-in. It has nothing to do with who played games. even though this washington guy wasn't around for the entire season, he was still a part of the league and his games count.

the reason there's a 4 person play-in in SNES is because 3 guys tied with 12 PTS for the 8th playoff spot. I think metz put the 7th seed in the playoff as well for simplicity? That may be the only thing i have a problem with... but its hard to coordinate a 3 person playoff so I can understand why he went with this. the thing that I'm concerned about is all 4 of these guys are not very active, so i'm worried when or if I'm ever gonna get a first round opponent?

Thanks lt. dangler, I played my games and tied for 8th in points, and tied the head to head vs carse. Skool was 1 point less than me and Carse, but even without counting washington he's still 1 point behind carse. So it's either got to be just Carse as the 8th spot, or a play in between me and Carse. Metz is commish so i think we should go with his decision.

AJ bud,

I'm not saying that you should boycott both playoffs(or any for that matter) but why would you choose to boycott GENS A and not SNES when you disagree with both set ups?

AJ bud,

I'm not saying that you should boycott both playoffs(or any for that matter) but why would you choose to boycott GENS A and not SNES when you disagree with both set ups?

I already played my first series in snes before i actually sat down to look at things, so its hard to boycott something ive already started. But that snes bracket is a travesty, so yeah, im done with both if things arent fixed.

I'm just curious who else has an issue with how the playoff seeds were determined.

So far all we've heard from is AJ. I would think some of the slighted guys AJ is referencing would've spoken up by now.

AJ: The Super Nintendo bracket IS a travesty. Absofuckinglutely. But that's what happens when less than 50% of the games in a season actually get played. I had to go to Plan Q on SNES, and only to about Plan C on GENS A.

Please don't use SNES as an example for why you think I did this wrong. I've already laid out the reasoning for what I did in GENS A, so there. They are unrelated, in my book, and it appears that your going down that slippery slope where you want to change GENS A because of what's happened in SNES (so don't do that B) It's tacky...it'll make you look like hokkee and his bitching about other people not playing games, no offense to hokkee :) ).

SNES's bracket is also the way it is because I was really able to clearly define groupings to a certain point, but didn't want to actually make SNES A a 6-team bracket. However, I also went through understanding that most of these players were inactive, and that would likely give the top two players byes (or a pretty pathetic first round opponent). So ultimately I think that this will end up being a 6-team bracket after I eliminate the stragglers.

BTW, I want to thank AngryJay for getting in my face about this...a lot of people have congratulated me for only having one person get upset about the decision. But I'm a big "tyranny of the majority" kind of guy, so for AJ to speak his mind regardless of his playoff seeding is noble and commendable, and means good things for the community.

Either that or parliamentary gridlock...

AJ: The Super Nintendo bracket IS a travesty. Absofuckinglutely. But that's what happens when less than 50% of the games in a season actually get played. I had to go to Plan Q on SNES, and only to about Plan C on GENS A.

Please don't use SNES as an example for why you think I did this wrong. I've already laid out the reasoning for what I did in GENS A, so there. They are unrelated, in my book, and it appears that your going down that slippery slope where you want to change GENS A because of what's happened in SNES (so don't do that B) It's tacky...it'll make you look like hokkee and his bitching about other people not playing games, no offense to hokkee :) ).

SNES's bracket is also the way it is because I was really able to clearly define groupings to a certain point, but didn't want to actually make SNES A a 6-team bracket. However, I also went through understanding that most of these players were inactive, and that would likely give the top two players byes (or a pretty pathetic first round opponent). So ultimately I think that this will end up being a 6-team bracket after I eliminate the stragglers.

Hey, atleast we agree on something finally.

But ive made my points time and time again, im obviously just bashing my head against a wall here, so i wont make everyone read another post filled with my points. But i still strongly believe in everything ive said.

This is just my opinion, and I'm sorry if I offend you Angryjay, which I obviously will do.

To me it seems like the whole situation started because you Angryjay threw hissy fits, to my intepretation,

because even though you finished 1st in regular season, you would have to advance to the finals the hard way

through Carse. It would frustrate me too. I still too find Metzgerism's logic and decision about the last playoff spots

very fair and just.

I just hope this decision to boycott Gens A league from your part isn't because of fear of losing a face in the rinks

of NHL94. The big reason I wanted to join Gens A league was because of you Angryjay, because I respect your skills and want to

be able to match my skills against the players likes of you. Of course also because of the history and tradition of NHL94.com Gens Classic League,

and its legendary champions Tejpal, kgman and Ericanthony76 (I don't know who won 2006 Spring League, didn't see it from nhl94online.com)

and by the way, Edmonton isn't that bad of a team as you said :P

At least in my opinion. I wouldn't mind playing with it.

Without line changes and with Klima there I see why you put in the list.

About getting a "legit" squad, well, Edmonton was your 5th choise in the list,

behind Quebec, Calgary, Los Angeles and Toronto. It's not like you didn't try to get your preferred team,

you just lucked out of those 4 choises.

I hope to see you play the game in these playoffs, and maybe meet you there (we can only meet in the finals)

peace.

This is just my opinion, and I'm sorry if I offend you Angryjay, which I obviously will do.

To me it seems like the whole situation started because you Angryjay threw hissy fits, to my intepretation,

because even though you finished 1st in regular season, you would have to advance to the finals the hard way

through Carse. It would frustrate me too. I still too find Metzgerism's logic and decision about the last playoff spots

very fair and just.

I just hope this decision to boycott Gens A league from your part isn't because of fear of losing a face in the rinks

of NHL94. The big reason I wanted to join Gens A league was because of you Angryjay, because I respect your skills and want to

be able to match my skills against the players likes of you. Of course also because of the history and tradition of NHL94.com Gens Classic League,

and its legendary champions Tejpal, kgman and Ericanthony76 (I don't know who won 2006 Spring League, didn't see it from nhl94online.com)

and by the way, Edmonton isn't that bad of a team as you said :P

At least in my opinion. I wouldn't mind playing with it.

Without line changes and with Klima there I see why you put in the list.

About getting a "legit" squad, well, Edmonton was your 5th choise in the list,

behind Quebec, Calgary, Los Angeles and Toronto. It's not like you didn't try to get your preferred team,

you just lucked out of those 4 choises.

I hope to see you play the game in these playoffs, and maybe meet you there (we can only meet in the finals)

peace.

i know ive made a lot of posts, so maybe it just got lost in all the fodder ive written. but i really dont care who i play, lets face it, its GENS A, youre gonna get a really hard matchup where ever you go. I dont care if its you, ice, carse, or whoever, i dont really care who it is. All ive been saying is metz's goal was to get the 8 best teams in the playoffs, and i dont think that is whats happening in the gens bracket. He can tell me the snes bracket is a travesty all he wants and to not compare, but how can you do something so unjustified as that and tell me not to look at it, im not blind. Its not skools fault he couldnt get ken to play one game, which by the way if he did and won that game skool would be the 8th seed.

I'm not offended by anything youve said, you interpenetrated what i have said the way you want to perceive it, and aside from maybe quebec, i was trying to pick teams who have obvious deficiencies and have not performed well in prior classic seasons. If i was gung ho about taking a championship my top 3 would have included montreal, chicago, and detroit, end of story.

I'm beginning to think no one understands me around here, you think im focused solely on winning, that isnt the case here. I've earned all my respect on the ice, there isnt anyone in this community that doesnt respect my game, and if they still dont, they never will and if thats the case, i really dont care about them.

I'm also getting really disguested with the boards here, if anyone has noticed (which i doubt) that aside from this topic, i have become silent in the nhl94 world, so obviously i feel really strongly about something if i stand up for it and actually say something like i have. Very few people actually read what is written anymore, they just want to twist words. Youre included in that swos, if you actually read everything i wrote, youd see that i didnt give a damn about playing carse, i advocated a situation where he is the 8th seed and bo and skool are not involved in a play in.

B.S. like this doesnt allow me to have fun in a league, which is what im here for, im obviously on the wrong side of all the politics here, so it might not be too long before i just become silent in all respects.

Wow, what a tough situation to deal with... These inactive guys are ridiculous, but at the same time it's nice to see new faces since most of you in the A league have probably played each other a million times. Despite Washington being somewhat inactive I really think you had it right Metz... Sorry AJ, I see what you're saying too but skool and bo both played 28 games regardless of who they were against so i'm sure they are both just as active

Goodluck

Metz is there a deadline? I just formatted my comp so I have to reDL all the NHL94 stuff and this break being thanksgiving i've gotten smashed one night and other than that haven't been thinking too much about NHL94

But the first week of December I will be around and can prolly play Wags

Edited by evitageN

Nick...and Everyone:

I will start pestering people to get series done by Dec 7th. I wanted to be lenient with the first round because of the Thanksgiving holiday, but that is winding down now so we should have a week to focus on finishing up round 1. The following rounds will have tentative one-week limits, which means that all the finals should be 3-10 days before X-Mas.

I've been told that, as a result of AJ's departure, I should bump everyone up one seed.

Probably not going to happen...Frey and Swos were already playing their series by the time I was told this.

so does bo and carse just become the 1-8 series ...and thats too bad about aj really cause if i got past flasox i was looking forward to putting him out. :D

I've been told that, as a result of AJ's departure, I should bump everyone up one seed.

Probably not going to happen...Frey and Swos were already playing their series by the time I was told this.

nanana now that i lost, we can do this :D

Yes, at the very least.

So based on that, Carse if you and your bro want to play a best of 35 series, you're more than welcome to do it. I think over the course of 35 games, the better team would come out on top.

So based on that, Carse if you and your bro want to play a best of 35 series, you're more than welcome to do it. I think over the course of 35 games, the better team would come out on top.
Totally...watch out for that Game 24 comeback.

WagsTh: gl next year

NEGATIVENICK7000: Dude

NEGATIVENICK7000: Bullshit

NEGATIVENICK7000: I f**king told you

NEGATIVENICK7000: I couldn't play all of them

WagsTh: waah

NEGATIVENICK7000: Wags

NEGATIVENICK7000: you're nothing but a problem

WagsTh: waaah

WagsTh: why do you bother playing tomorrow.. you aren't going to win

NEGATIVENICK7000: show me the rule

NEGATIVENICK7000: that says

NEGATIVENICK7000: you have to play all 7

NEGATIVENICK7000: in one day

NEGATIVENICK7000: or however many are needed to be played

NEGATIVENICK7000: you stupid f**k

WagsTh: show me the pussy who wins the first game.. then loses three in a row and then quits

NEGATIVENICK7000: Nah you a**hole

NEGATIVENICK7000: I told you I couldn't play all of them

NEGATIVENICK7000: you stupid son of a b***h

WagsTh: i bet if you were up 3-1....

NEGATIVENICK7000: I would say

NEGATIVENICK7000: finish later

NEGATIVENICK7000: you f**king ****

WagsTh: here is what i say..

WagsTh signed off at 10:02:55 PM.

WagsTh is offline and will receive your IMs when signing back in.

Nothing but problems with Wags, I told him I couldn't play all the games and I won the first, he won the next three and he says I had to finish and all this bullshit. Most of you know I have student teaching in the morning like I mentioned a lot of times... I see nothing but problems with this guy whining and all this other s**t like what happened with Swos in GDL and all that jazz.

I'll finish my games sometime this week if he's not up for it though because they weren't all played in one evening, f**k him

Edited by evitageN

WagsTh: gl next year

NEGATIVENICK7000: Dude

NEGATIVENICK7000: Bullshit

NEGATIVENICK7000: I f**king told you

NEGATIVENICK7000: I couldn't play all of them

WagsTh: waah

NEGATIVENICK7000: Wags

NEGATIVENICK7000: you're nothing but a problem

WagsTh: waaah

WagsTh: why do you bother playing tomorrow.. you aren't going to win

NEGATIVENICK7000: show me the rule

NEGATIVENICK7000: that says

NEGATIVENICK7000: you have to play all 7

NEGATIVENICK7000: in one day

NEGATIVENICK7000: or however many are needed to be played

NEGATIVENICK7000: you stupid f**k

WagsTh: show me the pussy who wins the first game.. then loses three in a row and then quits

NEGATIVENICK7000: Nah you a**hole

NEGATIVENICK7000: I told you I couldn't play all of them

NEGATIVENICK7000: you stupid son of a b***h

WagsTh: i bet if you were up 3-1....

NEGATIVENICK7000: I would say

NEGATIVENICK7000: finish later

NEGATIVENICK7000: you f**king ****

WagsTh: here is what i say..

WagsTh signed off at 10:02:55 PM.

WagsTh is offline and will receive your IMs when signing back in.

Nothing but problems with Wags, I told him I couldn't play all the games and I won the first, he won the next three and he says I had to finish and all this bullshit. Most of you know I have student teaching in the morning like I mentioned a lot of times... I see nothing but problems with this guy whining and all this other s**t like what happened with Swos in GDL and all that jazz.

I'll finish my games sometime this week if he's not up for it though because they weren't all played in one evening, f**k him

I wouldn't sweat it Nick. That's just Wags M.O. You have every right not to play all of them in one night, especially after saying so before even playing.

I bet if the shoe was on the other foot he'd have no problem squeezing game 5 in...

Sure he indicated beforehand he might not be able to get the games in.. but I didn't hear one peep out of him once the games started. I've had the courtesy to warn fellow players prior to my last game that this would be in fact my last game, and even gave in between period warnings that there might be a small delay in game play.

The four corners defense Nick threw up won't work.