NHL'94 Forums

Glitches, Fixes and Hacks that would make NHL94 God Level

Updated in 2021! 
In the post below this one I will write the story behind this list.  But what are some of the glitches and fixes and improvements that, if added to NHL94, would make an amazing game even better?

TOP PRIORITY

• Glitch - The Infamous "Weight Bug"
  • Glitch - Stuck on Manual Goalie (you can't switch control off of goalie for some reason)
  • Glitch - One Timer miss instead of speed burst (You know, you try to speed a forward towards the puck, and instead he whiffs on a one timer... irritating)
  • Glitch - Out of Control Skater (You know, your man is skating 3x faster than normal, and only partially responsive, for a spell)
  • Improvement - Goalie Force Field needs removal or improvement

LESS PRIORITY

• Glitch - AI Players "Puck Awareness" (sometimes the AI is oblivious to a puck right in front of them)
  • Glitch - Out of Control Puck (Puck goes superspeed into the stands off of a pass.  Kinda fun actually; not a huge glitch, but here for thoroughness)
  • Glitch - Goal or PIM at 0:00 when period or game should be over
  • Improvement - Have puck placement for goals more realistic, instead of always "warping" the puck to the middle of the net (I always though it would be cool to have a water bottle that might violently fly off when a slapper is really ripped!)
  • Improvement - Better "post" effects and logic (have it possible to hit side posts, eliminate the "hovering" puck that rings of post and then darts in, better animations for posts hit head on)
  • Enhancement - Drop passes
  • Enhancement -  Fake shots
  • Enhancement - Saucer passes
  • Enhancement - Decrease the manual control delay
  • Enhancement - Allow for players to aim their one-timers (like in SNES)
  • Enhancement - Ability to deflect shots
  • Enhancement - "Touch" sensitive passing 

Edited by aqualizard

Help me add to the list above!  I am an old timer, and I remember back in 90s, when me and buddies played NHL93, and then NHL94 with all the improvements.  We couldn't wait for NHL95 to come out.  We figured if NHL94 added goalie control and one timers, NHL95 might have fake shots, drop passes, and a bunch of fixes.

Being a major nerd, I took to compiling a list of fixes and enhancements, with the idea of sending it to EA sports to encourage the direction of the game.  I know my list had at least 30 points, but I am also fairly certain after making the list, I did not mail it to EA Sports, and instead forgot all about it.  Boy was I disappointed when NHL95 came out, and had a whole new engine and instead of continuing a great thing, they started from scratch and took 500 steps back.  Anyway, I would like to compile a new list, hence this thread.

I will add to it as I think of things, and people chime in, and prioritize this b*tch according to the "Biggest Bang for the Buck" suggestions.

Edited by aqualizard

42 minutes ago, aqualizard said:

In the post below I will write the story behind this list.  But what are some of the glitches and fixes and improvements that, if added to NHL94, would make an amazing game even better?  After I have a few, I will prioritize the list.

• Glitch - The Infamous "Weight Bug"
  • Glitch - Out of Control Skater (You know, your man is skating 3x faster than normal, and only partially responsive, for a spell)
  • Glitch - One Timer miss instead of speed burst (You know, you try to speed a forward towards the puck, and instead he whiffs on a one timer... irritating)
  • Glitch - Stuck on Manual Goalie (you can't switch players off of goalie for some reason)

IMO these are the only ones I would fix. Also, I would decrease the manual control delay and allow for players to aim their one-timers (like in SNES).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aqualizard said:
  • Improvement - Goalie Force Field needs removal or improvement
  • Enhancement - Drop passes
  • Enhancement -  Fake shots
  • Enhancement - Allow for players to aim their one-timers (like in SNES)

These would all be great, particularly reducing the goalie force field. There may be ways to reduce the force field by editing goalie attributes. Along those lines, how about improving the collision between the goal / posts and the puck. Sometimes you'll see a puck heading right towards the post and it ends up going through the post for a goal warping to the center of the goal. I don't know if we can make the artwork of the goals slightly bigger so pucks hit the posts more instead of clipping through the post for goals when it should be bouncing off the post, but I noticed that I rarely see pucks hit the posts. (only hitting side of the net really) It would good to see more pucks hit the side posts and bounce straight back. I don't know if we can do anything about the puck warping to the center of the net when there's a goal, but I noticed that the warp occurs before the puck even crosses the goal line. Maybe we can move the location of the goal / goal line or something and make the goal wider so the goal boundary has better collision. Maybe we could edit the artwork editing the position of the puck in the net too so pucks warp to the corner of the net where appropriate instead of always warping to the center of the net. (or do away with the warping altogether but I doubt that's possible)

Fake shots would be great, that might be possible through the use of a shot cancel (hotkey) button. Also I'd like to find a code / hotkey to do lofted short passes, sort of like using the A button in the attacking zone only with more control over the loft and distance on it, so you can pass to players with a defender in the way without it being intercepted by the defender. If there were a way to hold down the pass button to put a little air between the puck and the ice on passes that would be great too to get more passes through traffic.

NHL 94 would do great with an icon passing system via hotkeys / additional buttons so you can pass to whoever player you want even when there's another player in the same direction closer to the player you want to pass to. At times, you are limited on who you can pass to based on the direction you are aiming and sometimes when in the attacking zone you can't pass to the player you want because another teammate is between you and the player. Another thing is that generally passes are intercepted too often, especially in the attacking zone, this is something we should be able to reduce by editing attributes lowering the frequency of passes being intercepted.

Making it so we can aim one-timers might be a hard thing to find but I do think we need to make one-timers be more off target.

As far as drop passes, you can do drop passes by pressing down and the pass button at the exact same time (while skating upwards for example), and if you do it right, the player won't change direction and will continue skating forward. It's very useful but it's hard to pull off consistently because if you don't time the button presses perfectly it won't work, either you'll pass it forward accidentally or your player will change direction before the pass. This is something I would like to make a specific hotkey for, because sometimes it's hard to press down and the pass button (or up and the pass button if you are skating downwards) at exactly the same time. (and it's even harder to do it while skating left or right) Creating a hotkey to make you do a drop pass consistently should be doable, though you're probably going to need two buttons depending on what side your team is on.

You'll probably need one combining up + pass and one combining down + pass depending on if your team is skating up or down, but maybe there's a code that controls the direction of passes without needing to combine up + pass / down + pass There's a lot I want to do to add more depth to the passing with additional buttons / hotkeys.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, Brodeur30.  We are thinking similarly.

But I don't know about the drop passes you described?  I have passed backwards, but I have never gotten a puck to just sit there, for a trailing player to scoop up?  (You mean passing backwards, right?  Not just dropping it softly?)

And the "lofted short passes", yeah, I think people call them saucer passes, right? Up and over the stick of defenders.  I will add that to the list.

As for the goalie forcefield, it is just a bad implementation.  Since the goalies are superhuman (as in indestructable) I get why there has to be a limit on them.  But a hard edged "force field" is dumb.  Very unnatural.  I think what should be done is:

1. make goalies get slower and slower the further out they go, but put no limit on them
2. make them less indestructable.  You SHOULD be able to C-check them. (And get the PIM if PIMS is on.)   And they should be more jostle-able.  Like, using B-pokes you might be able to separate them from a puck, especially the further out from the net they roam. (Make it so "close to net" they have confidence: Move fast and hold on to puck well.  Further out, less confidence/shakier; they move slower and can lose pucks.)

Edited by aqualizard

It'd be nice to list which ones have been accomplished as well. 

Weight bug, goalie range, decrease manual goalie time are all hacks you can apply.

You can aim one-timers in SNES?  Didn't know that!

The reason the 0:00 happens sometimes is there is a slight difference from the internal game clock to when the actual game clock displays 0:00.  Think of it as milliseconds....so a goal at 0:00 is really 0:00:12 or something, it just doesn't get displayed.  I found that out when helping @Brodeur30 with his actual game time clock.

I do like the idea of fixing the goalie lock as it affects 2v2 play a lot.  If we had MOAR 2v2 action these days I think I'd be more motivated to look into that, but it's not much of a problem in 5v5.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Good idea Raph. I will add a note for the ones "fixed".  (Maybe I can even put a link in to the patches?)

As for the 0:00 issue. I do see what you are saying.  BUT!   It is still a glitch, or at least a "usability issue" because if it says "0:00" on the clock, to a human it means time is up. (If I were bug testing the game before the put it out, I would say if a goal or penalty is called > 0:00 but less than 1 second, for the sake of clarity, display 0:01.)  Also, technically speaking, if there really was time left, and it wasn't 0:00, wouldn't that mean one more faceoff, and a quick whistle? (I am not sure if they do this in the real NHL or not, when it is less than 1 second, but I feel like they should.  I know in the NFL they are real sticklers.)

I think finding a "drop puck" code should be doable that makes the player with the puck just lose possession of the puck as he's skating so the puck just sits there as he skates on ahead so a player behind him can pick it up. I know I found several "puck action" codes but haven't tested them fully yet.

I agree about making goalies less indestructible. I really want to be able to lay goalies out especially when speed bursting into them. Or at least bounce off of them without causing your player to go down and lose the puck every time when running into them. And like you said, being able to poke the puck loose when goalies have the puck.

What do you think we can do about goal post / puck collision? How often do you hit the side posts? It seems to me that pucks heading towards the post that should bounce off the post and not be a goal go right through the post and turn into goals. It doesn't look right especially in slow-mo on instant replays.

There's also the issue of the puck warping into the center of the net on goals. I never understood why the developers designed it like that. It would look so much better if there was no warping on goals so you could see the puck actually hit the back of the net where it was shot towards. Not only should pucks collide with the posts more instead of being goals but then you have the puck warping issue on goals that puts the puck in the center of the net in situations where the puck should end up in the corner of the net.

Improving the puck collision with goal posts would make a big difference in realism. If we can't eliminate the warping when a goal is scored, maybe we can at least edit the placement of the puck in the net when a goal is scored so that the puck isn't always in the center of the net. Maybe we can adjust the position of the goal itself so that the warping doesn't occur until the puck actually crosses the goal line and widen the goals slightly so you won't have the puck warping through the post when the puck should be bouncing off the posts.

Edited by Brodeur30

2 hours ago, aqualizard said:

Good idea Raph. I will add a note for the ones "fixed".  (Maybe I can even put a link in to the patches?)

As for the 0:00 issue. I do see what you are saying.  BUT!   It is still a glitch, or at least a "usability issue" because if it says "0:00" on the clock, to a human it means time is up. (If I were bug testing the game before the put it out, I would say if a goal or penalty is called > 0:00 but less than 1 second, for the sake of clarity, display 0:01.)  Also, technically speaking, if there really was time left, and it wasn't 0:00, wouldn't that mean one more faceoff, and a quick whistle? (I am not sure if they do this in the real NHL or not, when it is less than 1 second, but I feel like they should.  I know in the NFL they are real sticklers.)

That's probably possible...i.e. don't go to 0:00 until the period is really over.  Another thing to look into!

4 hours ago, Brodeur30 said:

There's also the issue of the puck warping into the center of the net on goals. I never understood why the developers designed it like that. It would look so much better if there was no warping on goals so you could see the puck actually hit the back of the net where it was shot towards....maybe we can at least edit the placement of the puck in the net when a goal is scored so that the puck isn't always in the center of the net. Maybe we can adjust the position of the goal itself so that the warping doesn't occur until the puck actually crosses the goal line and widen the goals slightly so you won't have the puck warping through the post when the puck should be bouncing off the posts.

I know exactly what you mean.  For whatever reason, it doesn't bother me.  To me, it is sort of one of the charms of the game, like the rotten, pixelated graphics.  (Not to belittle your own feelings on this.  I get where you are coming from -- th goal animation is far from perfect.)

As for the shots that hit the post, and even the ones that hover for a split second, and then "warp" to the middle of the net, that doesn't bug me much either.  For post shots, I kinda go on the "ding" sound more than the visual, and the ding seems to ring true (pun intended).  (Though I have never heard one off the side post, as you mentioned.)

In the interest of thoroughness, I will add these items to the list.

Edited by aqualizard

8 hours ago, aqualizard said:

I know exactly what you mean.  For whatever reason, it doesn't bother me.  To me, it is sort of one of the charms of the game, like the rotten, pixelated graphics.  (Not to belittle your own feelings on this.  I get where you are coming from -- th goal animation is far from perfect.)

As for the shots that hit the post, and even the ones that hover for a split second, and then "warp" to the middle of the net, that doesn't bug me much either.  For post shots, I kinda go on the "ding" sound more than the visual, and the ding seems to ring true (pun intended).  (Though I have never heard one off the side post, as you mentioned.)

In the interest of thoroughness, I will add these items to the list.

I've seen pucks hit off the side post while the puck is moving slowly on the ice. (like on a pass towards an empty net or something) When the puck is moving along the ice it seems that the side post collision is working, but where the side posts collision is lacking is on shots when the puck is in the air. I think the problem could be solved just by editing the artwork of the goal / net by just making the the goal slightly wider (moving the side posts just a few pixels wider so the side posts location pick up the collision of the "side of the net") Even if you don't get the "ding" on shots that hit the side posts (which would be great of course) just to have it bounce off the side of the net where the post is visually would make it look better on slo-mo replays. The problem is just that many times you'll see on shots headed towards the side posts that should be hitting off the side post and bouncing back instead being goals and they end up being goals and warping to the center of the net. (in real time it just looks like it hits the inside of the post and bounces in, but it's actually clipping through the post where it should be bouncing off it and not going in)

I get what you're saying that it's part of the charm of the game with the game having pixelated graphics, but it still doesn't look right and frankly the lack of side post collisions is one of the biggest issues I have with the game. That's one fo the most exciting moments when you watch a hockey game, when the puck dings off the post. You just don't see that in NHL 94 often enough, pucks are warping right though those side posts becoming goals that should be near misses. Also when there's a whistle / stoppage in play and you shoot into the goal there's the barrier on the goal. That's surely hard coded into the game, that's just how it was designed. However from an artwork perspective we may be able to improve it, like make the goal visually a few pixels wider moving those side posts and few pixels more outward so pucks don't clip through the side posts anymore, or seeing if we can edit the location of the puck in net. (so goals that are shot from angles near the edge of the goal end up in the side or corner netting instead of in the center of the net) Those things should be possible which can be accomplished simply by editing the artwork, just moving the side posts a few pixels farther out so it lines up with where the side net puck collision is.

Perhaps one of the art editing experts can point us in the right direction if we wanted to try to edit the location / width of the posts so we can try to align the side posts with the actual puck collision boundary of the side net. I know there's a topic about editing the goal artwork, maybe there's somewhere where we can edit the puck location in the net on goals as well.

Edited by Brodeur30

I've been working on a way to implement a "drop puck" feature with a hotkey. It's a challenge because of how players in NHL 94 gain control of the puck based on their proximity to the puck. The puck has to be a certain number of pixels away from a player for him to not automatically gain possession and become in control of the puck. So as a player is skating forward, there's not enough separation between the puck and the player for him to really drop the puck. (because he's still too close to the puck if it were dropped that he'll just automatically regain the puck based on his proximity to the puck)

There are several ways I could go about implementing a true drop puck button through finding codes and setting up a hotkey. I took some time searching for a way to implement this. If I could find a way to control the speed of passes, then we could slow down the speed of the back pass which would work similarly to a drop puck. This may be a possibility, as adjusting the speed of passes is something I will be looking for, but it may be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I did find one interesting code though that kind of allows you to do a drop puck, but it still requires some additional work. It's a single-byte code that you can switch between 00 and 01 that when it's 01, none of the players are able to possess the puck. So basically if your skating with the puck and you switch this code from 00 to 01 the puck will continue to move at the speed it was being moved at by the player but is no longer in the player's control. With it on 01, none of the players on the ice can gain control of the puck, they'll just skate right over the puck as if it's not there. When you switch it back to 00 though then players once again can possess the puck like normal by skating to it. So technically this can work like a drop pass if you switch it to 01 then back to 00. The only problem is I'd really need to find another code to get the puck to stop completely in it's current location so that if turn the code to 01 while the player is skating forward for example, the puck won't continue to move forward with the player at the rate it was being moved by the player. (in line with the forward motion of the player who had it even after he loses control of the puck) With just this code though, I could stop the player (and the puck), then turn it to 01, then skate away from the puck, then turn it back to 00 when he's far enough away from the puck, then a teammate could pick up the puck, but I don't think that would work too well. You really need to be able to drop the puck and have the puck stop while you are skating forward I think for it to be most useful. For the drop puck to be most effective, I'd need to find a code to stop the puck's movement completely on a dime to be used in conjunction with the 00 / 01 code. So it's a little tricky implementing a drop puck button in the best way possible but I'm optimistic that it can be done. I think it would be very useful if I can find a good way to implement it through a hotkey.

As far as saucer passes, you'll be happy to know that I have found a way to do them. I've managed to find a code that allows you to lift the puck off the ice prior to a pass or a shot. With this code as a hotkey, you can lift the puck up off the ice by holding down a hotkey button before you press the pass button . (the puck will drop back down to the ice if you let go of the hotkey) Depending on how long you hold down this hotkey before passing it, normal passes will occur at a height above the ice surface (in mid-air) instead of from along the ice surface.

Holding down the hotkey causes the puck to slowly rise off the ice, so you can fine tune the height of your passes. The puck will fall back down to the ice and bounce off the ice realistically when you depress the hotkey. It's as if your player is lifting the puck up into the air with your stick in front of your player and the puck is hovering momentarily in mid-air before it drops back down, and then you pressing the pass button is like swinging at a puck that is hovering in mid-air creating a pass that starts from mid-air above the ice surface. If you hold down the button long enough, you can make normal passes be done from a height that causes the puck to go right over the boards into the crowd, or you can find the perfect height to ricochet normal passes into the boards and the puck looks like a flying saucer for a moment before it slowly drops back down to the ice. It's really cool, I'll see if I can record a video of it so I can show you.

Edited by Brodeur30

Can’t you already do saucer passes by holding down the b button, or pass button on your set up, and pressing up/down directional button depending on which direction your team is skating that particular period.  I know the goalies can do it, I myself don’t really know how to do them that great, but I do know many can as I get burned by these saucer outlet passes for breakaways by the goalie all the time.

Also when you have a good deal of speed, and/or a great deal of stick whip you can execute pass shots top corner over the goalies shoulder I’ve done them on rare occasions, and been the victim of them plenty of times.

Edited by Lupz27

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Can’t you already do saucer passes by holding down the b button, or pass button on your set up, and pressing up/down directional button depending on which direction your team is skating that particular period.  I know the goalies can do it, I myself don’t really know how to do them that great, but I do know many can as I get burned by these saucer outlet passes for breakaways by the goalie all the time.

Also when you have a good deal of speed, and/or a great deal of stick whip you can execute pass shots top corner over the goalies shoulder I’ve done them on rare occasions, and been the victim of them plenty of times.

Goalies can do saucer-like outlet passes by pressing the A button and aiming the pass. When you use the dump puck button (A button) with the goalie, they are angled much lower than when you press the A button with a regular player. When a goalie does an A button pass, it doesn't look like a flying saucer since the puck comes out all wobbly.

I did a little testing with what you said about B button passes and you're right. Technically you can do saucer passes with the B button but they are very difficult to pull off. It seems you can do them by tapping the B button combined with a precisely-timed direction on the D-pad. (not 100% sure about needing to tap the B button) I think you have a very small window with pressing the B button in combination with a D-pad direction where you can actually aim a saucer pass in any direction rather than pass to a specific player.

This is interesting as it's something that I really hadn't been aware of. It seems too hard to pull off consistently but maybe there's a learning curve to it. I've was able to do a saucer pass both in the direction I was skating and in the reverse direction, but I can't do it every time I try as it requires precise timing between the B button and pressing the D-pad and it's unclear exactly what the timing mechanism is. I did it once by skating upwards, as I was holding up I tapped B and quickly pressed down and he did a saucer pass backward behind my player as I continued to skate upwards. I also randomly did a B button saucer pass that went over the glass into the crowd.

So you can in fact do saucer passes without any codes, however it's not something that I would attempt in a competitive game as they are very difficult to pull off. The code I found allows you to lift the puck off the ice prior to a regular pass, so that gives you much more control over doing a saucer pass for sure. But it is interesting that you can do them without the code. If anyone has more detailed instructions on the button presses involved in doing B button saucer passes without codes, that'd be great. Still I think the code I found is very useful due to the difficulty in pulling them off otherwise.

From what I can remember, saucer passes have nothing to do with button or directional execution. Saucer passes only happen when your pass is a breakout pass out of your own defensive zone, and they happen automatically. Saucer passes never happen in the offensive zone.

This is just from memory though so I could be completely wrong.

30 minutes ago, TomKabs93 said:

From what I can remember, saucer passes have nothing to do with button or directional execution. Saucer passes only happen when your pass is a breakout pass out of your own defensive zone, and they happen automatically. Saucer passes never happen in the offensive zone.

Maybe it's just a distance thing? Pass-shots get air because the (non-existent) target isn't close

It may have to do with the proximity to teammates. B button saucer passes seem to occur when you aren't skating towards a teammate or aiming the pass towards a teammate. It seems like it happens when you are facing the boards or when the player you are controlling is not facing or moving towards a teammate. Maybe you just have to be a far enough distance away from teammates to get it to work.

There does seem to be a d-pad directional component though because the saucer passes I pulled off definitely went in the direction I had pressed on the D-pad. And not just directly up or down, like "down & left" while skating up ice, for example.

You may not be able to saucer pass when passing directly to a teammate, it might only work when your are skating towards open space and a teammate isn't in close proximity.

5 hours ago, TomKabs93 said:

I think saucer passes happen when the pass would otherwise be intercepted by a stick on the ice. I'm not 100% sure though.

I have recorded some videos to better illustrate what I've been posting about.

The first video is a good example of the lack of side post collision I had been describing. As you can see, the puck should clang right off the post and bounce back away from the goal, instead it goes right through the side post and warps to the center of the goal. If we made the goal posts slightly wider by editing the goal / net art, we should be able to align the posts with the boundary of the side net. It may not produce a clang sound in a situation like this but with a slightly wider goal at least the puck would appear to bounce off the post due to the side net boundary instead of being a goal. That seems to me to be the easiest way to fix this glitch.

This second video is a demonstration of the lift-puck feature I discovered which makes pulling off saucer passes easier than trying to pull them off with only the B button which seems to be rather difficult. To say I've been having fun with this code is a major understatement.

I think this should be called the UFO code. We certainly have ourselves an Unidentified Flying Object on the Ice! Somebody cue the X-files Theme !

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, JesterKing said:

Would love to have drop passes and fake shots. 

Crossing my fingers that a mod genius figures it out. 

I've figured out a way to do them, but it's not tied to a specific controller. It's basically a code that when pressed simply stops the puck from moving at it's current position on the ice, but what makes it work so well as a drop puck or fake shot is that it doesn't take affect until the puck is loose. Anotherwords when a player has possession of the the puck, pressing this stop puck code won't do anything. But if the code is being held down when you do a shot or a pass it will perform a drop puck or fake shot naturally depending on whether you press pass or shoot. It works great for 1P vs CPU games but it's not something that would work that well in a 1P vs 2P game since it's just a code that stops a loose puck that either player could press at any time. I've been recording some highlights I can upload a video to show you drop passes and fake shots in action.

7 hours ago, JesterKing said:

Would love to have drop passes and fake shots. 

Crossing my fingers that a mod genius figures it out. 

The fake shot is something Kaneda and I figured out. I just stopped working on ROM updates after NHL15, or whatever one has Brodeur on the cover. Basically, we found the, 'whiff shot'. The one where you try to shoot and the animation for shooting the puck is shown, but nothing happens and the 'whiff' sound effect it played.

We planned on mapping this to the Z button - Y was already set to goalie control and X was going to be used for line changes - IIRC the goalie bites every time, making it really easy to score. Would have liked to see how players would have used this, especially on breakaways against manually controlled goalies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clockwise said:

The fake shot is something Kaneda and I figured out. I just stopped working on ROM updates after NHL15, or whatever one has Brodeur on the cover. Basically, we found the, 'whiff shot'. The one where you try to shoot and the animation for shooting the puck is shown, but nothing happens and the 'whiff' sound effect it played.

We planned on mapping this to the Z button - Y was already set to goalie control and X was going to be used for line changes - IIRC the goalie bites every time, making it really easy to score. Would have liked to see how players would have used this, especially on breakaways against manually controlled goalies. 

Wow that's impressive. And the goalie bites every time? That's very interesting. With the way I implemented a fake shot through holding this stop loose puck code I found as a hotkey while pressing shoot, the goalie doesn't seem to bite. This stop puck code I found when held also allows me to make line changes on the fly without having to go behind my team's goal or without clearing it, with the puck just staying with the player as you press A. Could you provide any insight on how you found that whiff shot? That would be a fun thing to test if possible.

I'm happy to share my stop loose puck code if you're interested, I guess I would just share it as a RAM code, but you'd need some way to map it to a hotkey. I'm really interested in testing your whiff shot code because it sounds like a true hidden control and may be specific to 1P or 2P rather than just a loose puck stop code like I am using. And if you found a true whiff shot code, maybe there are other controls nearby that memory address that are other hidden controls. For example, I'm looking for a code / button that causes a player to wobble / lose his balance, you know that animation that sometimes happens when you run into a player, I have a theory that if I could trigger that I could use before running into the goalie to avoid getting knocked down by the goalie.

• Like 1

I always thought the biggest benefit of the fake shot would be to deke a manually controlled goalie. (Either pressing a button for a fake wind up or a button to abort a real windup.)

Never even considered implications for the AI goalie. Probably easiest if it has no effect rather than always tricking the auto goalie.

So grateful & excited that folks have been exploring this. 

On 8/3/2019 at 1:35 PM, Brodeur30 said:

Wow that's impressive. 1.*And the goalie bites every time? That's very interesting. With the way I implemented a fake shot through holding this stop loose puck code I found as a hotkey while pressing shoot, the goalie doesn't seem to bite. This stop puck code I found when held also allows me to make line changes on the fly without having to go behind my team's goal or without clearing it, with the puck just staying with the player as you press A. 2.*Could you provide any insight on how you found that whiff shot? That would be a fun thing to test if possible.

I'm happy to share my stop loose puck code if you're interested, I guess I would just share it as a RAM code, but you'd need some way to map it to a hotkey. 3.* I'm really interested in testing your whiff shot code because it sounds like a true hidden control and may be specific to 1P or 2P rather than just a loose puck stop code like I am using. And if you found a true whiff shot code, maybe there are other controls nearby that memory address that are other hidden controls. For example, I'm looking for a code / button that causes a player to wobble / lose his balance, you know that animation that sometimes happens when you run into a player, I have a theory that if I could trigger that I could use before running into the goalie to avoid getting knocked down by the goalie.

1. What I remember from 5 years ago, yes. If you're close enough to the goalie, and fake a shot, the goalie will make a save attempt. When behind the net, the goalie makes a backward save attempt will face you, I think. 
    We used the (Y) / goalie control button to test it since we already had that figured out, but we never finished it. This was supposed to be the new wrinkle for the NHL15 ROM. I thought it would be cooler than a line changes button since most people don't play with them on, so I wanted to add this first.
  2. Just taking shots, for hours, with a tracer until I found it, I think. 
  3. I don't know where the ROM is. I lost a lot of stuff when I got rid of an external HD and sold my work station to a business owner in New Jersey. I thought I had all that stuff backed up but I didn't. @chaos bailed me out a week or two ago when I asked him if he still had the Pixelpuck and NHL91.com files on the sites' shared hosting package, here; all my ROMs were supposed to be in that .zip. Fortunately he did have it, which was a big relief.
    I still don't know where the goalie control patch is or where a lot of other files that I worked on are. But if I can find the ROM, I'll post it.
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2019 at 3:39 PM, kingraph said:

BRUH goalie_control_patch.zip

PM for anything you may be looking for, I tend to save lots of '94 stuff.

Great save. 

Now I need to find my fantasy team ROM with Wu-Tang Clan, Tech Support, Cosa Nostra, San Quinten Fugitives,  Middle Earth Orcs and Vatican Holy Rollers, among other teams. 

• Like 1