NHL'94 Forums

Suggestion for Season 2

jj2k

Im assuming that we are going to do another draft for season 2....

I was thinking that every GM can hold onto 1 or 2 players from their current team and draft the rest. This will save us time on the draft and will also allow us to hold onto key players on our team like Real GM's do.

of course we couldnt do this for every season but if most of the GMS are going to be the same, why not do it for the next season only.

Let me kno what u think....

I'm not gonna be here next season, but I think this is a great idea. GM's can choose 2 players to keep, and then boom...they have their franchise players.

A keeper league is a fantastic idea......

but I think I remember this being discussed prior to season 1 being started, and Dmitry mentioned that it is a good idea to get a feel for the draft and what is important to draft for first. I'm sure a few guys are disappointed with some of their picks given the available players.

I would definately keep Roy and Hogue.... but if it were put to a vote, I'd say keep the keeper league off for another season.

A keeper league is a fantastic idea......

but I think I remember this being discussed prior to season 1 being started, and Dmitry mentioned that it is a good idea to get a feel for the draft and what is important to draft for first. I'm sure a few guys are disappointed with some of their picks given the available players.

I would definately keep Roy and Hogue.... but if it were put to a vote, I'd say keep the keeper league off for another season.

I am not in the league so to a certain extent my opinion doesn't matter, but if you're interested in the opinion of someone who gambles a lot and has commished his share of fantasy leagues, I totally agree with Matt. A change like that really needs to be announced ahead of time for it to be fair for everyone. Doing it moving forward is one thing, making the keepers retroactive to Season One is tough.

That said, I'm not sure that doing a keeper league for people's top guys would be that fun for everyone. It's not fantasy football - the best players in the league aren't going to evolve from year to year. Roenick is still going to be awesome 20 years from now. So taking the top 40 or so players in the league and keeping them out of the draft pool forever would be kind of a drag I think.

If you want to do a keeper league you should allow people to keep X players drafted after like round 8 or something. Those might be the role players you became attached to, but that nobody else should really care much that they didn't have a crack at them. And then THAT could cut down on the time it takes to draft without costing you much in fun.

i share addisons opinion but i think round 8 might be a bit too late. if we want to get those top tier players moving around i say the top 3-5 rounds of picks should be put back in the pool and thatll get the talen mixed around a bit while holding onto a 2-3 players from the team that we still use. i dont want to lose my whole starting lineup outside of alexei gusarov. i love my mark recchi and pierre turgeon. ill still lose them in this format, but i wont lose everything atleast.

Since I took over for a team that was already drafted I'm obviously in favor of a complete redraft.

Part of the fun in this format seems to be that over the course of many seasons, everyone may have a chance to play with some of the superstars of the game. Also, a big component with the league is the draft itself. Taking out players from the draft just makes the draft not as fun imo. As someone stated at the beginning of the year, after awhile the draft becomes a science within itself where you can learn from your mistakes and try new tactics at assembling a team. I am really looking forward at the chance to draft a whole team and see what I can do. I guess I see this league more as a draft league than a dynasty type league.

hi guys,

i really appreciate suggestions, but we'll be doing a complete redraft. a keeper league would be fun, but it's just not why i started this league. as has been mentioned a few times, the draft will evolve and become an intricate chess match, especially as the less knowledgeable owners like me get smarter.

hi guys,

i really appreciate suggestions, but we'll be doing a complete redraft. a keeper league would be fun, but it's just not why i started this league. as has been mentioned a few times, the draft will evolve and become an intricate chess match, especially as the less knowledgeable owners like me get smarter.

hey D,

not a suggestion but a couple of questions...

i know the current season isnt over yet... but do you have a tentative idea about when you would want to start season 2 after the current seasonplayoffs concludes (ASAP, or after month off, etc?) i know creating the schedule, and the draft would take some time, as well as getting the extra coaches if needed...

also how would selecting a team work??... b/c i know if you are playing, youll want TB back :beaten:

random or first come first serve?

cant wait to get the next season underway .. :angry:

yes userstats will be your career totals for however long you remain in the league. i expect season 2 to get underway a few weeks after the playoffs are over. as for picking teams, you will just have to pick whoever is available. current owners can either keep their team or select a new one.

hey D,

not a suggestion but a couple of questions...

i know the current season isnt over yet... but do you have a tentative idea about when you would want to start season 2 after the current seasonplayoffs concludes (ASAP, or after month off, etc?) i know creating the schedule, and the draft would take some time, as well as getting the extra coaches if needed...

also how would selecting a team work??... b/c i know if you are playing, youll want TB back :P

random or first come first serve?

cant wait to get the next season underway .. :lol:

That's pretty much what I want to know. When are we going to start the next season because hopefully D will let me take over for SSiG. I REALLY WANT to join this league!

as for picking teams, you will just have to pick whoever is available. current owners can either keep their team or select a new one.

In that case, at the start of next season can I switch my franchise from the Jets to the Stars?

yes you can switch to the stars. just remind me when we are getting things ready for next season.

if the Rangers ever opened up i would take them... after that it really doesnt matter to me (not trying to step on toes or anything, sorry current Rangers Coach)

i remember someone wanted the sharks for next season. it might have been the quebec or ottawa manager,i cant remember off the top of my head. if you are still interested in the sharks for next season i will be willing to trade them for either quebec or ottawa.

if the Rangers ever opened up i would take them... after that it really doesnt matter to me (not trying to step on toes or anything, sorry current Rangers Coach)

Yeah...if Matt ever gets amnesia and makes the Penguins available you can have the Rangers, but that's not likely.

Ive got to say this first season was a total success (hopefully playoffs go just as well), the zero tolerance for games not played was great and kept the league moving very smoothly. And we now have a very solid base of GMs.

A total redraft sounds good, how will the draft order selected? Im thinking we should do it like the nhl, where its mostly based on reg standings (cup winner is last)..and bottom 5 (maybe bottom 3 for this league) would be put in a draft lottery for the top 3 picks.

Ive got to say this first season was a total success (hopefully playoffs go just as well), the zero tolerance for games not played was great and kept the league moving very smoothly. And we now have a very solid base of GMs.

A total redraft sounds good, how will the draft order selected? Im thinking we should do it like the nhl, where its mostly based on reg standings (cup winner is last)..and bottom 5 (maybe bottom 3 for this league) would be put in a draft lottery for the top 3 picks.

I'm excited to hear this from a few guys. Glad other leagues are going well. Gives the 94 players good variety and fun. You can expect similar zero tolerance in the future Classic 94 leagues as well with written policies.

D, the nhl94online.com website is being updated to accomodate other leagues besides the Classic '94 league we run. We would love to eventually include your league through that website, so let's chat about that sometime soon. It would be great for coaches to only need 1 username and password for both the Draft league and the Classic league (and hopefully more leagues as well).

-Evan

I'm excited to hear this from a few guys. Glad other leagues are going well. Gives the 94 players good variety and fun. You can expect similar zero tolerance in the future Classic 94 leagues as well with written policies.

D, the nhl94online.com website is being updated to accomodate other leagues besides the Classic '94 league we run. We would love to eventually include your league through that website, so let's chat about that sometime soon. It would be great for coaches to only need 1 username and password for both the Draft league and the Classic league (and hopefully more leagues as well).

-Evan

it all sounds good to me

Still think it would be fun to track injuries for the upcoming season. It would take a little extra effort from all coaches but would be cool if everyone was on board.

I know it would probably be a very manual process, however, I would be willing to step up to do it.

Im not sure what the situation is with a Toronto owner for season 2. I am interested in taking over that team.

I'm wanna stick with Toronto if that's ok with D. My experience has been great so far and hopefully I'll get the chance to not only do the draft next season whenever it starts, but also to complete the whole season! (and maybe the playoffs too :) )

Gimme Montreal Canadiens, I buy you a monkey.

Free monkey...i send with UPS. YOU BUY IT!

Habs, good news for you. As an avid Kings fan, I have little very little interest (actually none at all) in retaining the Montreal franchise into the 2nd draft season. So, I am sure something can be worked out after the postseason has concluded and/or after the Montreal Canadiens have been eliminated from the draft league playoffs. There are a few other franchises that peak my interest. Namely, the Jets, Kings (already talked with gr8199 and know that ain't happening), Bruins, Quebec (think Jay already will be taking them over) and a few others. The Jets and probably the Panthers top my list. So, we'll be talking.

-KingsCupRun93

Gimme Montreal Canadiens, I buy you a monkey.

Free monkey...i send with UPS. YOU BUY IT!

Me and KingsCupRun93 just talked on AIM and he said I MIGHT be able to take Vancouver and I'll give him Toronto and then you get the Habs! Doesn't that sound good? Unfortunately, it also means I'll get a lower pick in the draft.

i gave up san jose and thats my team, so im not too attatched to any team, even though i just acquired quebec im willing to let them go for pretty much anything. so if anyone wants quebec bad enough just let me know and ill probably let you have it.