NHL'94 Forums

GDL6: will it ever start

Carse

So we have all the coaches filled..

All of the rostered are finalized..

An offical rom is made...

Not sure if D made the database available but I know he was around..

what exactly are we waiting for?

Yeah, hopefully this summer won't become dull 'cause I want this league to start.

• 4 weeks later...

future of GDL:

Qc 4, 2 MTL

MTL 6, 5 Qc OT

GGs

A de-facto commisioner would be in order, but he must need the data on the website, database and info in general in order to run the league properly. The guy responsable shouldn't be so irresponsable as to not provide the necessary info so that someone can fill in for him when things lke this happen!

Edited by RedWingDevil

VC had some dude who was gonna set up a database so we could up and run with it. That was probably amonth ago. Not sure where that's at either.

In the words of Mr. Spock in light of this:

MOST. ILLOGICAL.

If you're gonna go AWOL on us in such a fashion, at least supply all the info for the replacement to run the league.

we should just forget the dimitry site and beg smoz to let gdl use his database.. true we lose all of the records but A. they are sitll there so if D someday shows back up, it shouldnt be hard to transfer the states.. and B. what good are records if the league never sees season 6 kick off? this is normally around the time things start to pick back up so we need to beg smoz to get gdl up on his database so we can get it going!!!

I haven't gotten in touch with him but I did email my uncle who said he'd help me. I'm going to get a database somehow, come hell or high water.

Have to admire the tenacity, as the GDL has been a tremendous boon to the netplay community in general.. And I was actually a part of the first ill fated draft league - before Dmitry spawned the GDL.

But having a MS Access DB (or MYSQL) is sort of ancillary, though in no way superfluous. Even if all of the tables in the DB are configured to sort the data it doesn't by itself feed that data into a web page.. Thousands of lines of SQL | HTML | PHP or ASP with active data objects along with all the conditions, variables, functions, record sets, DSN, and SQL statements have to be written to query the DB to display it in a naked HTML table. The database itself is probably 1/8th of the work (from my point of view).

Say you did create a database and myriad of scripts necessary to digest and query the offsets in the memory dumps | save states (which would take months) the record sets from Dmitry's database would not be contiguous with the original RS being on satellite pages.

I know it's been a frustrating circuitous path with Dmitry being so elusive but Smozoma's Blitz league has filled the vacancy left by the GDL very nicely, after all the players are the same (I'm aware some are not fond of the weight bug fix). Hopefully he shows up soon and is willing to hand over the FTP so someone can do the good deeds.

Well smoz did send me a starter kit of sorts. I'm helping the one guy move this weekend so I should be able to show it to him, and if I have to just copy stuff onto my website from the old one, old stats, I will.

Well after reading jesus' post things look mighty grim, and the reality of what we had with GDL has been revealed. I know nothing about databases and html and website coding etc. It appears that mimicking Demitry's database and keeping GDL alive will be a very tall task, if not impossible. Im not sure where we can go next with this, im hoping that I will be able to compete in a GDL sometime soon, as I am not fond of the wgt-fix, even though its an amazing thing and props to Smoz for all his hard work in creating it. Its just a personal preference i have to GDL and the history behind it. Winning Blitz is one type of accomplishment, while winning GDL is another.

Blitz just doesnt replace GDL for me. Not to take anything away from Blitz, again an amazing league, just not for me. I hope to see GDL up and running asap, thanks to all parties involved in trying to find a solution to this unending conundrum that is GDL..

I have a league template site capable of running a GDL season.

Of course the history cannot be put there easily, so waiting for dmitry would be the best solution.

If dmitry cannot run the league maybe he could dump the database to a file from where it would be easier to convert to a whole new site (I'd still prefer smozoma's site as his site looks very cool).

I have a league template site capable of running a GDL season.

Of course the history cannot be put there easily, so waiting for dmitry would be the best solution.

If dmitry cannot run the league maybe he could dump the database to a file from where it would be easier to convert to a whole new site (I'd still prefer smozoma's site as his site looks very cool).

Waiting for Dmitry = We've been doing that for 6 months now, so it's obviously not a solution.

I made GDL database to my site and it looks like this:

http://www.students.oamk.fi/~jhonkako/nhl9...ms.php?league=3

(the site works best with mozilla)

I can make the league running again after tweaking the upload page a bit, (I also have Finnish league to run and schoolwork so it might take some time) but in the meanwhile it would be good to start gathering players and inform them about the possibility of a new season.

I also need some MySQL help, because I havent yet found a working solution to create team standings dynamically from the games table (without having to have separate standings table where after an uploading error you would manually need to edit it)

Edited by swos

I made GDL database to my site and it looks like this:

http://www.students.oamk.fi/~jhonkako/nhl9...ms.php?league=3

(the site works best with mozilla)

I can make the league running again after tweaking the upload page a bit, (I also have Finnish league to run and schoolwork so it might take some time) but in the meanwhile it would be good to start gathering players and inform them about the possibility of a new season.

I also need some MySQL help, because I havent yet found a working solution to create team standings dynamically from the games table (without having to have separate standings table where after an uploading error you would manually need to edit it)

awesome-looking site :D