NHL'94 Forums

Ilya Kovalchuk and Thrashers struggling..

Guest Playtawk

Guest Playtawk

Ilya Kovalchuk is this weeks zero. He is 6th in the NHL with 26 goals, but only has scored one in the past four games and is a minus-4 in that span, http://apps.facebook.com/nhlpool/?ref=ts. Chris Vivlamore says the Thrashers would love to keep him http://ow.ly/VlSF, but on a losing team in a losing market, what could they afford to pay? $10M? $7M? Conventional wisdom says they need a star to sell tickets in Atlanta, but they've got a star now and... how are those ticket sales going again? Do they need a star to sell tickets in Atlanta? Would a better team with no big names draw more or less? What do you think?

I think they just need a better team..They've had Dany Heatley and Marian Hossa along the way as well...but never having won a playoff game is killer for the franchise.

If Lemieux is watching closely, he'd try a deal to bring both Kovalchuk and Afinogenov.

If Lemieux is watching closely, he'd try a deal to bring both Kovalchuk and Afinogenov.

ya think?....and he would he give up for those guys?

ya think?....and he would he give up for those guys?

first off I think afaneganov is terrible

for kovalchuk the only thing i can see atl doing it with pittsburgh for is jordan staal and high draft picks

obviously this will never happen though because pittsburgh doesnt have the cap room to do it

first off I think afaneganov is terrible

for kovalchuk the only thing i can see atl doing it with pittsburgh for is jordan staal and high draft picks

obviously this will never happen though because pittsburgh doesnt have the cap room to do it

send malkin stall and high draft picks

LA KINGS!

bring kovy to LA

i could see this happenin

thrashers looked good in beg of season then lost like 9 straight complete freefall, they are still a very young team that is very talented.

kovalchuk wants a 10 year deal with probably atleast 8-10 million a yr, thats going to cripple any team he signs with.

John Buccigross gives his Kovalchuk trade proposals.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/notebook/_/page/buc...oposals-atlanta

on a side note: When people refer to him as 'Kovy', I wonder if Alex Kovalev gets pissed.

Kovalchuk is a talented hockey player..... but if you think about it, he's never really had a line mate that could put up big points, cept Hossa and Heatley

Since he's gonna be in Team Russia, I'd imagine he'll have some good experience with the guys he's going to play with. :lol:

Kovalchuk is a talented hockey player..... but if you think about it, he's never really had a line mate that could put up big points, cept Hossa and Heatley

yah uh two superstars right there, and of course marc savard.

if bob says so....

the same who predicted the koivu-marleau trade and the kovy trade last season! 100% sure!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great deal for the Devils. They gave up some good young players to acquire Kovalchuk; however, Kovalchuk greatly improves their chances of winning the cup this season. More importantly, the Devils can find the cap flexibility needed to afford a long-term contract for Kovalchuk. I don't think the Devils are done dealing yet; look for them to trade Brian Rolson (he's a hair over $5 million on the cap) and/or Dainius Zubrus ($3.40 million on the cap) to put themselves in better position to handle Kovalchuk's contract.

This is a great deal for the Devils. They gave up some good young players to acquire Kovalchuk; however, Kovalchuk greatly improves their chances of winning the cup this season. More importantly, the Devils can find the cap flexibility needed to afford a long-term contract for Kovalchuk. I don't think the Devils are done dealing yet; look for them to trade Brian Rolson (he's a hair over $5 million on the cap) and/or Dainius Zubrus ($3.40 million on the cap) to put themselves in better position to handle Kovalchuk's contract.

The Devils just made their stamp for a run towards the Stanley Cup. As a Penguins fan, let me be the first to say.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

I don't think the Devils will be caught blindsided like the way the Canes did last year, but all the same the Devils have been bolstered and now they got someone like Kovalchuk that can go along with Lagenbrunner, Parise and Elias. If I were Jacques Lemaire, I would think of some pretty nice combinations with this.

I don't think the Devils will be caught blindsided like the way the Canes did last year, but all the same the Devils have been bolstered and now they got someone like Kovalchuk that can go along with Lagenbrunner, Parise and Elias. If I were Jacques Lemaire, I would think of some pretty nice combinations with this.

Zajac and Rolston too!

The Devils just made their stamp for a run towards the Stanley Cup. As a Penguins fan, let me be the first to say.... FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU....

All they do is trap and Kovalchuk is allergic to backchecking. I'm not worried.

All they do is trap and Kovalchuk is allergic to backchecking. I'm not worried.

That's a misconception about Kovalchuk, actually. His D is much better than it gets credit for, although he will never be mistaken for Bob Gainey or Guy Carbonneau. Frankly, Kovalchuk's skills and his style of play on both ends of the ice fit in perfectly with the Devils' system and counter-attack scheme. Kovalchuk also single-handedly improves their PP; expect Parise to be in front of the net and Kovalchuk to man the point when they have the man advantage.

Rolston is still a good player, but I think the Devils will move him and/or Zubrus to have some cap flexibility. The sickening part about this acquisition: Zach Parise is now perhaps a 2nd-liner.

Or they can move them around and have both Parise and Kovalchuk at the same 1st line for a few games. Such teams like the Capitals and Penguins change up their lines at times.